Fidelice by Rupert Neve Designs - Official Thread

That’s a very popular opinion. I just haven’t had the pleasure of listening through a balanced connection.

1 Like

Indeed!

It’s a problematic term in a number of ways - not the least of which is that manufacturers don’t even use it consistently. I have a dedicated thread on that issue, here.

And then there are all the consumer assumptions about it, which are often simply incorrect - which is hard to blame them for given the above industry-sown confusion.

Until you dig into the specifics of a given unit it is impossible to know what having a 4-pin XLR socket or the word “balanced” on it actually means (if it means anything at all). It can mean nothing more than the “balanced” output is just a convenience socket and isn’t actually balanced in any way shape or form.

With the Fidelice Precision DAC, it appears that the headphone output is actually balanced, and differential, (at least based on their published measurements) but then either has power-supply constraints that prevent the differential stage delivering twice the power of the single-ended, or the differential stages are being summed to provide the same power to the single-ended output (neither of which is necessarily bad nor good … it is what it is).

5 Likes

Not sure if this helps but here’s the block diagram from the manual:

4 Likes

Cool! I like triangles.

4 Likes

You would!

http://i.imgur.com/IlW8Mkp.jpg

11 Likes

LOL!!! I would give three likes if I could !!!

2 Likes

This issue was coming from not having the driver. If the driver installation is initiated correctly per the instructions in the user guide, all should work correctly the first time. The issue occurs when Windows is allowed to pick a driver on its own, then it latches on to the incorrect driver and requires the reinstallation below.

8 Likes

Yeah, it was a driver not being installed issue. If the driver installation is initiated correctly per the instructions in the user guide, all should work correctly the first time (this is now possible with the drivers being public). The issue occurs when Windows is allowed to pick a driver on its own, then it latches on to the incorrect driver and requires the reinstallation.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum. And though I haven’t had the opportunity to listen to any of the Fidelice line of products, I can say as an owner of the original RNHP that you folks have made an outstanding product. Good luck with the new line.

I’d also like to put in a request for a balanced version of the RNHP. Something tells me those would fair well. :wink:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @tristan-rupertneve!

6 Likes

Thanks, we’ll put that in consideration!

7 Likes

Hello and welcome @tristan-rupertneve

1 Like

Excellent review by @Resolve is up. Thanks Andrew!

10 Likes

Great review, @Resolve! Did you get a chance to compare it with any other DAC in between the “good enough” and “flagship” bracket? I’m talking about something like the ADI-2 DAC fs, SMSL D1 or even (in the higher end) the Matrix X-Sabre Pro. These units cost 1/5 to 2/5 the amount, and I’m curious if they give you a similar performance with your Verite.

4 Likes

RME ADI-2 DAC and X-Sabre Pro are on the docket! The RME ADI-2 DAC won’t be available until the beginning of next year though due to the update that was rolled out. Won’t start shipping until the end of December.

4 Likes

I think he compared it mostly to his onboard motherboard DAC which is his main daily use DAC…I believe it’s from an old Dell 2010 laptop? But don’t quote me… :smirk: :thinking: :rofl:

Edit: @Resolve I’ll stop this joke soon =) don’t want to over use it :wink:

4 Likes

5 Likes

This. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Last go at this bad boy…packing it up to return to headphones.com

10 Likes

Oh how I covet thee…

Edit: That little fellas ugly cousin will have to do for now.

1 Like