Final Audio D8000 over-ear planar magnetic Headphones - Official Thread

IMG_9216

IMG_9215

I made a strap for my D8000s with pro pads. Makes all the difference is for comfort. They weren’t bad before but I tend to get a hot spot on the top of my head with many headphones and this strap totally fixed that issue. I’m at 4 hours straight with them on and they are still totally comfortable. Not quite Empyrean level comfort but not too far behind.

4 Likes

I am planning on upgrading my LCD-X to the D8000 Pro, and wanted some advice. Currently, I run a Asgard 3 / Bifrost stack combo. Will this be enough to drive the d8000s? If not, which stack combo would you recommend? (Btw, I would need it to be able to connect to my PC) since I listen to music through it.

1 Like

The D 8000 is incredibly easy to drive. What you have will suffice with ease. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am actually considering upgrading, and wondered what you’re thoughts are on these two:

Cayin IHA-6 + iDac-6 mk2. Been trying to find more reviews of these two around but there isn’t too many. Any thoughts? Would this be better than the Asgard 3 + bifrost 2 stack?

Anyone here have experience driving these with tube amps? I’m currently using a DNA Starlett which was designed primarily to drive dynamic driver headphones. I know these are relatively easy to drive planars so am hoping not to buy another amp just to run these in the event that I do go for it.

The starlet is probably fine, I use my D8Kpro out of the SE output of the stratus on low gain.
Volume at about 2 so a LOT of headroom.
I prefer that to the balanced out because the lower impedance helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the brief impression. Looking at specs alone it seems the d8000 has about the sensitivity as my verite with a lower impedance so it seems like it should work well with the starlett. I’m glad to hear that it’s working well with your stratus.

I think I finally nailed down the dac/amp I wanted to use with the D8000 Pro’s, I am debating between Burson Conductor 3 Reference or the Burson Audio Conductor 3x Performance. Between the two, which would you guys pick?

1 Like

I have a Burson Soloist, so I can say first hand that Burson makes terrific amps. Short signal paths and powerful. Conductor 3 is massive. You’ll be happy.

2 Likes

Would you go with the Conductor 3 Reference, or the 3x Reference? The 3x is about 200-300$ more

1 Like

Depends on compatibility. If your a computer source based listener get the 3X

1 Like

Sounds good thanks!

I am looking to get a 3rd party custom cable, that has the locking mechanism with a XLR plug. Any one have recommendations on where I might be able to get one?

3rd party cables with the locking connector do not exist.
I actually contacted final to see if they would sell me the connectors, they actually responded, but the answer was no.
I have a 3.5 mm cable without the locking connectors, that works, but the connectors aren’t secure in mine without the locking mechanism.

I reterminated the black cable to 4 pin XLR, but be warned it has Litz conductors and they can be a pain to work with.

1 Like

I saw Tonekraft make them, but damn they are expensive:

Any idea how good tonekraft is?

No idea, but I’d want to see pictures of the connectors from the headphone end, or at least get assurances they are of the locking variety. There are a few companies that sell D8K cables, but they are using longer 3.5mm connectors, not locking connectors.

1 Like

Ahh ok thanks! Appreciate it… onwards for the search

Finally got my set up. Final Audio D8000 Pro paired with the Burson Conductor 3x Reference. Alan from headphones.com was a huge help on the headsets and deserves a lot of credit. Thanks man, I appreciate the help you provided.

6 Likes

Well done. Now you just have to enjoy the music. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I upgraded the cable from Final audio to the 4 pin XLR, and I feel like it def. made a difference. Sounds feel much fuller and bass seems a bit refine. Not a pro on this, but i def. notice a difference from switching from their stock 1/4" cable to XLR with the Burson Conductor 3x reference DAC/AMP

2 Likes

Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words and that I was able to help out!

1 Like