Focal Arche - DAC/Amp - Official Thread

Glad to hear that you like the Naim Uniti Atom headphone edition. How does it compare to other DAC/AMPs that you have heard? Thanks!

1 Like

The only other DAC/AMPs i can compare is only the Arche i’m afraid. As a fair comparison i used a Astell & Kern SP1000 (which i used on the Arche) through the Toslink connection and it was very close. Even though they are similarly priced (Arche £100 more if you couldn’t find it on sale) you have 2 USB ports to play from a hard drive or stick and a built in internet radio with the Atom HE. One box does it all, but i am still running it in.

3 Likes

Well, i’ve sent support.tech@focal.com four e-mails to date asking if there is going to be a much needed update to rectify this flaw and they can’t even be bothered to reply. So there you have it people, i did try.

Your experience mirrors mine…Focal has terrible customer support and does not stand behind its products, hence ZERO support. I will not buy another focal product.

3 Likes

It’s not as if they didn’t received it because they gave me a ticket number… Hi,
We would like to acknowledge that we have received your request and the ticket has been created. A support representative will be reviewing your request and will send you a personal response.

The Focal Customer Service will be closed on the 24th of of May.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Focal&Naim Support Team

2 Likes

So sad to see Focal drop the ball on what is otherwise an excellent product. :cry:

I haven’t had a persistent issue with connectivity, but would really appreciate them fixing this anyway or at least updating the list of Focal headphone amp modes.

3 Likes

If you scroll through the history of this thread, you will get many comments on folks contacting focal to get the issues addressed, including me. They said Aug-Sept to me if I remember right, and confirmed they’re aware of both the firmware issue and the USB connectivity issue and they’re working on a fix…In, I think, September the US tech support told me they hoped to have the fix out by end of Sept…then they just stopped responding altogether. That was the last I (or anyone else) heard. Headphones.com support also didn’t say anything else besides telling me around the same time they had reached out to focal support as well…After that Taron & Co also didn’t provide updates.

I guess they lied. I have been following from the beginning, but strangely enough it’s been behaving itself in the last few weeks and i hope it stays that way (touch wood) but i won’t hold my breath. Since i’ve had the Naim Atom HE its been good, isn’t that weird. It can’t fix itself…surely ?

There have been changes on the Mac side of things. MacOS has been upgraded. Are you still using the same software with it? I’ve been using both Roon and the Music app without issues.

I am curious, how does the sound of the Naim compare?

My Mac is up to date, but I don’t use that as a source. I have been using it to kick start the Arche sometimes, but I use a Astell & Kern SP1000 as my main source player.

They are very close in sound. I tested them with a toslink connection for accurate comparison with the A&K SP1000 and they were very similar. But the beauty with the Naim is that you play music off a stick/hard drive and a fabulous internet radio, Tidal, Roon etc. It’s a one box that does it all. You could say that the Arche and the Naim are cousins, having the same parent company.

2 Likes

Arche needs to be powered on before source. Handshaking issue goes away. My Arche is always on on/standby and those issues went away

1 Like

FINALLY!!.. I got a reply from support.tech@focal.com though it isn’t much help and i’m not much the wiser… Dear Mr Johnson,

First of all, we are sorry for the unusual delay in responding, we are currently facing a large number of requests, so thank you for your interest in Focal.

At this time we are not in a position to confirm this point

I hope this helps - let me know if you need any further info.

Regards

Jonathan
Service consommateur/Support technique
108, rue de l’Avenir - BP374 - 42353 La Talaudiere CEDEX - France

08-26-10-11-82 (0,15cts/min) du Lundi au Vendredi de 14h à 17h
www.focal.com

1 Like

Yep, i tried all that but it didn’t work for me.