Focal Arche - DAC/Amp - Official Thread

…and there it is. I woke up this morning, woke up the Arche and started a track in Audirvana only to get the message “unable to load integer mode.” I unplugged the USB cable, plugged it in again and all good.

Not in the least bit surprising given the feedback here and I went in with eyes wide open, but for the price I paid I was willing to cop the issue. Firmware is showing as 01.01.08.

I guess I can try changing the firmware but I’m not hopeful.

Damn it sounds good though!

1 Like

The older firmware has been working flawlessly so far with my Windows 10 laptop. Of course, that firmware is a no go with Linux embedded streamers (Pro-Ject S2 Ultra), but the sound is glorious with the laptop already.

1 Like

OK…I have the handshake issue worked out. As long as my iMac and Audirvana are on before I wake the Arche, it works perfectly. I have done it countless time last night and today just to make sure.

I tried it with my Digione Signature streamer using coax without any issues and compared it to my RME ADI-2.

I also ran it in amplifier only mode using my Chord Qutest as the DAC.

It’s been a good day with my Arche & Clears :+1:

1 Like

So does the older firmware cure the handshake issue ?

I’m just using the firmware it came with and I assume it is the older version? I haven’t updated it or rolled it back. As long as I switch on in the right order there is no issue with my iMac using Audirvana and it works fine with a dedicated streamer.

2 Likes

I have a similar mac and have music on it just to kick start the Arche to get it going and it doesn’t always work for me. And when it has connected then i plug it to my A&K SP1000 DAP then i know it will work.

I wonder if the fact that Audirvana bypasses and takes control of my Mac’s audio settings has anything to do with it? The only time I had handshake issues was when I started the Arche before I started Audirvana.

I am using a MacBook Air M1 via USB with the Focal Arche and Focal Utopias. I had the same USB handshake issues and received the message “unable to load integer mode”. I had to reboot the MacBook Air M1 in order to reestablish a USB Connection with the Arche. Unacceptable.

My Arche has firmware 01.01.08. Does anyone know if that is the original, or the July 2020 update firmware? Also, are there instructions about how to update or revert firmware on the Arche via a Mac? All I have see is how to update via Windows.

So, the first thing I tried seems to have worked to an extent. I had a “basic” USB-A to USB-B cable. The Audio Midi Setup for the Arche would only allow “2 CH 16 Bit Integer 48 kHz”. I installed a higher quality USB cable (Wire World DNA Helix Solid Silver), and I haven’t had any USB handshake problems since. {Fingers crossed} Also, the Audio Midi Setup now reverts to “2 CH 24 Bit Integer 96 kHz”. So the cable seems to make a difference. I would still like to upgrade to 384 kHz.

Thanks.

2 Likes

A week on from the initial handshake issue and I can report that I have had zero repeat issues using Audirvana on my iMac since the initial hiccup. I can also report that it actually doesn’t matter which order everything gets switched on…it just seems that there was just an initial glitch.

I can also report that there are no problems at all when hooking up to my Digione Signature via coax.

I have had two instances when switching amplifier modes where the unit went into standby but overall I’m pretty happy.

3 Likes

Hello,

You still do not have any issues with your Arche? I just bought the focal arche discount as well but have so many issues with it. When I use tidal or audirvana, after some times the sounds stops and I see this NO SIG issue. (piss me off) . Do you think that can be the USB B? I tried 2 usb b coming from a printer. Could that be the issue? For it to work again for a little time, I need to unplug and plug again the usb. Very irritating!!

Sorry to hear you have issues Seb. I can confirm that my Arche is performing flawlessly using both Audirvana and normal iMac fare such as YouTube etc.

The USB cable I’m using is a Cardas Clear that I bought about 10 years ago and has been sitting in a draw for years as I don’t use USB in my main living room setup.

The arche seems to be working fine with youtube etc, the issues only appear with the exclusive mode of tidal and audirvana.
I ordered a usb b 2.0 to usb c to see if that changes anything.

Finger crossed. As I dont have a windows computer, it is hard to update the arche’s firmwares. I dont know if that would solve the usb’ s handshake. I saw many posts talking about this issue. Unbelievable to buy a piece of kit that costs that much and having issues like that.

Yesterday I lost contact with the Arche from My MacBook Air M1. I unplugged and replugged the USB cable and its working fine now.

I purchased an Arche late last year and also experienced random NO SIG errors on both Mac and PC.

After getting completely fed up, I arranged through my dealer to have the unit sent back to FocalNaim. After a couple of weeks I received a replacement unit. It is still ‘early days’ but so far I have experienced no issues. I have been able stream Tidal through Roon and Audirvana (both in exclusive access/integer mode) on my Mac continuously for hours.

There was no explanation as to what the problem was with the original Arche. Would love to know what the real story is with these.

2 Likes

I’m thinking on contacting my dealer and saying that my Arche is faulty, because it just won’t connect first time (or very rarely). Doesn’t look like there is going to be a firmware update any time soon to correct this bug. I’m fed having to turn it on/off and on again like a light switch just to make it connect and i’m sure it doesn’t do it any good doing it this way.

1 Like

After over a week of trouble free operation…I ran into handshake issues yesterday. I am perplexed at this behaviour and I wonder what can be so different to make this change?

Anyway, I have Topping D10s on the way to use strictly as a USB to SPDIF converter and I’m going to test it out in the chain when it arrives.

How about the 1266? I bought Stellia+Arche from Headphones, and just had to follow it up by being tempted into buying the 1266. My wallet is a bit thin, so I could afford a Topping A90, but not one of the expensive ones they suggest for 1266. But given I have the Arche, what would you recommend? Just using the Arche, or getting an A90 on the side, or … Gandalf style “Run, you fool!” or “Save up, you fool!”

I contacted SCV who were the UK distributors for Focal, but now are no longer the distributors. They told me to contact Naim who should now be handling any problems, they told me they would investigate and the next day i got this e-mail… >

So, it’s not the best news I’m afraid. I’ve spoken to one of the folks a bit higher up in the Focal UK food chain, and apparently - owing to the Arche being discontinued - Focal are very unlikely to go through with an update for this product to resolve the bug.

It would be worth checking you’re 100% up to date though; updates are available here:

Support produit | Focal

But to be honest if you want to have the best bet for a resolution, I would contact Focal directly, as of course the folks over in Saint-Étienne have much closer ties to the Focal software department than we do.

Focal support is contactable at: support.tech@focal.com

Really sorry I couldn’t throw you a better bone on this one.

Kind regards,

Henry

1 Like

I have e-mailed support.tech@focal.com and am awaiting their reply, but to be honest i don’t expect much hope.

1 Like

I am now the owner of the new Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition and delighted to say there are no connecting issues here and it sounds good too.

2 Likes