Focal Stellia Closed-Back Headphones - Official Thread

In my experience, the Stellia compares more to the Focal Utopia…also I wouldn’t say it trounces the Clears, but in my opinion it is better in more ways than equal…if that makes sense.

But, that is just from random listening sessions, I’m sure people that have both can chime in. But I think @torq has already done an excellent job comparing and going over the Stellia.

Reviews

Thread with links to relevant info…

2 Likes

The Stellia are a much more well rounded headphone. The Clears excel at detail and having a bright sound. Stellia are great across the spectrum and closed back.

2 Likes

Hey guys thank you very much,

I suppose the reason I would switch to the Stellia would be for the bass, does the bass on this headphone have more slam and punch, with maintaing better detail?

I wouldn’t say the Stellia have more bass slam/punch than the Clear, but they do offer slightly better bass articulation, speed and detail, as well as more bass presence.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply :slight_smile:

Hello and welcome @Inkey31.

My apologies,

So if you were to compare lets say to the HD series of headphones, would the Stellia be more in line with the HD660 and the clear is more like the HD600 when it comes to bass?

Thank you very much.

Not really.

The Stellia’s bass presence or level is closer to what you’d get from an un-modded HD650 vs Clear is closer to that of the HD600. That’s RELATIVELY speaking of course, and I would not draw direct or specific comparisons with the bass levels of those Sennheiser headphones in absolute terms.

The HD660S would be closer to the Elegia in the bottom end, which is to say a bit behind either the Clear and further behind the Stellia, both in level and technicalities.

3 Likes

Really you think the HD-650 has better bass then the HD660s?

Yea I am starting to think that as well, to be honest. Its just better IMO.

Regardless, thanks for the help Torq

I think the HD650 has a higher level of bass output than HD660S; which is a quantitative rather than qualitative statement.

And if we’re comparing bass levels, between the Sennheiser line and the Focals then, roughly, speaking: HD660S = Elegia, HD650 = Stellia and HD600 = Clear.

The additional qualitative comments were only in relation to the Focal headphones, however.

3 Likes

I have all three of these headphones and I enjoy the the 650 the most for most all things, but… I love me some 600’s with female vocal pop music, or anything really thats more in vocal range. The detail on the 600 is still amazing.

With the Clears’ I enjoy them a lot but I also think my LCD-X sounds a lot like them in many ways.

Stellia sounds like a better option for detail and bass without the loss of midrange.

2 Likes

I suppose the biggest question Torq, do you think they are worth 3000 big ones?

Or are they worth waiting till the price drops? The Eliga is like 500 bucks right now.

Well, let’s see …

• I bought and still own a pair of Stellia
  • My review of them was pretty enthusiastic
  • They ousted the HD820 as my previous favorite closed-back headphone

And the only current closed-back model that I’d put on the same level as them, is the ZMF Vérité Closed (which I have a very slight preference for, depending on pads).

4 Likes

They are phenomenal headphones. I bought mine a month ago and don’t see myself moving on from these for a long time. They sound great, look great, and feel great. My only complaint is pad discoloration. It does happen and can be seen in certain light.

I loved my Clears and they lasted a year. I don’t miss them now that I own the Stellia.

1 Like

The Elegia is not $500 right now, at least not officially. The people advertising it below the $899 MSRP will more than likely no longer have access to any Focal products in the New Year.

I don’t see Focal dropping the MSRP of the Stellia (maybe a one-off sale) since it’s not even a year old and aside from the occasional sale, Focal keeps their products (officially) at MSRP.

6 Likes

Drat. I really want to upgrade from my Elegias to the Stellia, but not at $3k. Oh well, time to start watching for a used pair.

There are plenty of used pairs on eBay iirc. They are worth it at $3k. I enjoyed Elegia. These are another level. When I make this kind of investment I like to buy new and with warranty from reputable dealer because it’s an investment and it’s good to have service and support.

4 Likes

Authorized dealers can’t advertise below MAP. That doesn’t mean you can’t get one below $3k though from an authorized dealer though. It just means they can’t show / advertise those prices online or in-store.

If you have a dealer you enjoy you can give them a call or e-mail and I imagine they’d be happy to set you up.

7 Likes

@Simonfish if only you knew a dealer of the Focal brand…it’s like there is something I’m missing here…

hint hint :laughing:

7 Likes

I was thinking the same thing… :thinking:

I found this one. :man_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes