Focal Stellia Closed-Back Headphones - Official Thread

Great write up! Also the new camera is looking like it is working out! Digging on it!
Very cool pics, your compositions are very cool!

Also, Stellia Gang!! Ha!

4 Likes

Another cracking review @Chrono. Great job.

2 Likes

Very nice review, thanks for that! I also really enjoyed reading your in depth analysis about the bass/mids/highs.

I don’t know if you are also into cable upgrading but I found out that switching the stock cable to a OCC silver cable cleared out probably every dip you mentioned and helped noticeably with the extension up top. But as you have no problem using EQ that’s also a possibility of course.

3 Likes

Great review, I think you captured a lot of the essence of the Stellia in your writings. They are the only closed-back headphones I have heard that trick you into thinking they are open-back.

3 Likes

Thanks for checking out the review! I totally agree, I think Focal did an awesome job with the Stelia’s acoustic design, and I find it to have a very natural and fun sound.

2 Likes

Thank you for the EQ settings and review.

1 Like

I’m sorry for coming here are a complete noob but maybe someone will point me into right direction.
I was able to snatch at some point Pre-owned Stellia’s + Arche amp for $2000 total (no signs of use) and usually I connect the Arche to my PC/MAC with USB-B to USB C cable.

How would you recommend connecting DAPs directly to the Arche? I see in the back of the unit, there is a number of inputs (USB B, Coax, RCA and Optical). Please advise which one should I use, using which cable and why.

Also, I have an Astell & Kern SE200 (if that changes the topic) how should it be connect to the Arche for direct listening?

Regards and Cheers!

Adam

3 Likes

Check the AK for a line out mode. Then connect it to the Arche via the red/white RCA plugs. Should be fairly easy, if you have the right cable.

3 Likes

Welcome. Adding to the response above, an analog signal is transmitted via the RCA cables where the digital to analog conversion / processing is handled by the DAP. Thus, the Arche is performing amplification duties only here, no DAC duties.

2 Likes

I have Focal Elegia. I’m considering upgrading to the Stellia or keeping the Elegia and spending the money on some open headphones like Empyrean.

I’d like some feedback on how much of an upgrade the Stellia are over the Elegia.

2 Likes

Just to make things easier… why not replace the Elegia with the Radiance and then go for an open box pair of Utopia! :grinning:

Jokes aside, welcome to the community. I’ll let others give you advice here, my Focal experience is limited to the Clear.

1 Like

I’ve owned all three headphones.

Stellia is way better than Elegia. It’s the most well rounded headphone and it’s closed back. I went to Stellia because I was disappointed with Elegia and it’s been a great choice.

I also owned Empyrean. These can be special but sometimes they fall flat. They are the most comfortable headphones and can sound wonderful but not for all kinds of music.

5 Likes

My system that these will be used with is Auralic Aries G2 to M-Scaler and then to TT2 via WAVE BNC cables.

I suspect that the Empyrean should work well with this system but that would mean the closed back duties would be fulfilled by my Elegia for the time being.

It seems that the Stellia would provide a noticeably and significant difference in sound quality over the Elegia? Is the improvement in particular aspects or in all areas? I appreciate that they are about four times more expensive at current prices but we all know the law of diminishing returns (and I accept these laws like a model HiFi Citizen).

It’s a shame the Stellia don’t look like the Radiance, minus the Bentley branding of course. I’m not quite sure what Bentley would have contributed to the collaboration…

2 Likes

I am happy that the Stellia doesn’t look like the Radiance (with or without the Bentley logo). Btw there will be a non Bentley version available next year if rumors are true. So if you don’t want that logo, just wait a bit.
But back to the Stellia: it is the most beautiful headphone I have ever had in my hands. But that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

I won’t want the Radiance though. It’s either upgrade from Elegia to Stellia or keep Elegia and get an open back such as Empyrean.

Sell Elegia and get Stellia and Focal Arche combo. Fantastic combination that will lead to pleasurable listening for any type of music.

2 Likes

I can’t use them with my M-Scaler / TT2? :disappointed_relieved:

No experience with those two but those are highly regarded so you should be good.

This is my current office setup and to be honest I’m not thrilled with the Arche. It’s not bad, it’s just not really all that great either. The USB is flaky and usability is mediocre. It sounds good, but I don’t think it’s worth what it costs. For the money there are better options, I think.

3 Likes