Focal Stellia Closed-Back Headphones - Official Thread

I have an absolutely silly question.

A curse I seem to have is the ability to buy a new component only to have a new version come out a few months later. I’m in the market for a new closed back, but know the Stellia is a few years old and a tremendous headphone. Seeing how they released the new Clear MG and also the Celeste recently, do any folks think or know of plans for a new version of the Stellia.

I know, silly questions……

So in the Celestee thread I was debating about whether to upgrade to the Radiance (the first sign of the addiction I’m sure we’ve all experienced) and I decided to go ahead and try them. Once I got them I was pretty satisfied but wasn’t sure about how much of a jump it truly was. So rather than returning the Radiance and staying satisfied with the Celestee I began eyeing the Stella (which I had kind of put out of mind as too expensive initially). So after a few glasses of George T. Stagg at my favorite bar I decided to pull the trigger.

I just got the headphones today and while it is still too early for full impressions I am going to echo the sentiment here that I am shocked by how much of a step up they are over the Celestee and Radiance. The best way I can explain it is I hear a much fuller sound with a pleasing bass thump but clear and pleasing vocals. I started with Little Wing like a poster in this thread suggested and moved on to some of my other favorites (Simple Man, LaGrange, Testify…) and throughout all of it the lushness of the music was nothing short of staggering.

I wanted to pop in here to thank the entire headphones.com team who put up with me through this process of getting to Stellia endgame. Now to move onto DACs and amps…

10 Likes

Hi all,
I’m considering a Stellia as I need something with more isolation while working from home (kids :slight_smile: ). I’ve gone through a lot of headphones over the past year and I am currently using the Ether 2. To my ears, this is a really pleasing sound. I like that there is detail when I go searching for it but appreciate how it’s not thrown in my face like the HD800s. I don’t believe I listen at that high of volume but even so, I found the original Clear fatiguing. It may be that Focal sound just isn’t for me but from everything I’ve read it sounds like the Stellia should be a decent headphone for my preference. I would love some input before making any purchase. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m afraid I’ve not spent enough time with the Stellia to be able to comment on its sound and whether it’s fatiguing in the same way as the Clear. It may help others, though, to give you advice if you were to let them know what it is about the Clear you find fatiguing.

Is it the slam and strong macrodynamics, or is it the treble? For what it’s worth, I can see how the Clear’s treble, which has a slightly hard, crystalline quality to it, can be fatiguing.

I hope someone else can give you a better answer. Welcome to the community!

1 Like

I owned the original clear and agree it is fatiguing to the ears. I later switched to the Stellia and never found that fatiguing.

Just recent bought the Stellia and they are fantastic. I can easily wear these for hours with little to no fatigue. Excellent detail and a tonal balance that is perfect for me and the music I listen to, which is mostly death metal.

Thanks for the feedback. Trying to recall from memory but I do believe it was more of the crystalline treble as you described it. I found that I was constantly turning the music down because symbols or other things were just popping a bit too much.

I picked up a super cheap Elegia, I definitely don’t get the fatigue that I experienced with the Clear which is interesting. While I’m super impressed with the Elegia for the price, now I’m even more curious in the Stellia or Radiance. I definitely wouldn’t mind a little more warmth to the Elegia. I feel like I should probably just make the jump straight to the Stellia but the Radiance is a little enticing because of the looks and warmth people talk about. Any thoughts?

Bitwit gave a shoutout to @Resolve and linked to his Stellia review:

3 Likes

Oh man, I need to do a new review of this hahah. That was done a loooooong time ago.

3 Likes

Only just realized that I posted this in the wrong thread. Swapped out the Focal headband with an Audeze on the Stellia:

5 Likes

Christ almighty…what has been done

2 Likes

Not much really, pretty simple process though you might not agree with the new appearance / look. The comfort though, has been taken to another level.

Used the same Focal screw and pin to secure the Audeze yokes.

5 Likes

What, are you too good for that sexy-ass sweat stain on the Stellia leather headband?!

This allays my concerns over long-term durability of the Stellia headband (if the Elex situation is anything to go by). My pair is a little creaky in the headband which was making me somewhat anxious if their inner assembly is just as flawed; knowing that a “cheap” rescue is available really makes me feel better.

I’m also surprised to see the drivers are installed with contact pins. The lauded Stellia → Radiance driver swap must be easier than what I was envisioning… might try it out some time.

1 Like

Yeah, I mentioned this briefly in the Audeze thread about the creaky/squeaky Focal headband as well. I’ve not heard of any reports of Stellia headbands breaking though so maybe they’re built better than the lower end models.

I had a spare Audeze headband lying around from a replacement (ordered one with a shorter lohb strap) so thought to give it a try. Not sure how easy or hard it is to purchase the Audeze yoke kits these days. Still, the HiFiMAN headbands are a “cheap” rescue, as you say, and readily available.

Yep, the drivers are easy to disassemble and swap out. The Stellia → Radiance driver swap is an easy task.

1 Like

@Sturosen

VC is more open sounding, more stage. The Stellia has a more intimate stage.
Both lean warm, I’d say from memory the Stellia is maybe a little warmer? The VC is a good option if you’re stationary at a desk or listening area. The Stellia can work with that, as well as on the go (around the house using a dap/portable option). Stellia is easier to drive and paired well with my dap (hiby r6 pro). VC is fairly forgiving with amps but works better off a tube setup imo. I think the VC has a little more bass, depending on the pads (auteur pads). Stellia has good bass too. Nice mid bass bump. Works well with modern music, same with VC imo. Stellia mids can seem a little recessed at times, probably depending on the recording. It’s not bad at all, just a little different in the mids at times. Still enjoyed them very much. VC mids were slightly better? Probably more preference. I don’t find the Stellia metallic sounding like others. I enjoy the signature and don’t think they’d be fatiguing at all. I enjoyed the highs. Same with VC. Tho some don’t like the 6k peak on VC (preference).

Imo these are the two best closed backs I’ve tried. I’m sure others can be used and be just as enjoyable. It’ll come down to personal taste. Some really enjoy fostex closed backs. Some like the other closed back offerings from zmf as well. Buy and try/audition and try. :grin:

I currently use the susvara as my main headphone. I sold my VC because I don’t use them as much at my main setup due to the susvara. I’ll probably buy the Stellia again to use at my desk when a closed back is needed or when I want to use my dap around the house. Like I mentioned above, I feel the Stellia is more portable and pairs better with portable amps/daps.

4 Likes

Thanks - super helpful.

2 Likes

out of curiosity what would you change, and have you had some time with the Stellia’s since?

LOL, definitely ruins the “look” of these headphones (for me anyway), but I totally understand why you did it! The only downside for me on the Stellia is the comfort with the stock headband. Creates that pain on the top of my head that detracts from longer listening sessions.

Kudos to you for doing this! I may eventually follow suit if I can get over the vanity side of this mod. :joy:

1 Like