Focal Radiance - Closed-Back Headphones - Official Thread

The Focal Radiance was announced yesterday by Focal. It’s a new limited edition closed-back over-ear, wired headphone made in partnership with Bentley. Also announced was the Naim Mu-SO limited edition which you can see partially in the background of the picture above.

The Radiance comes in at $1290 making it technically the cheapest Focal high-end headphone in production with the discontinuation of the Elear and Elegia.

From Focal

The Radiance headphones, under licence of Bentley Motors, complement the range of Focal closed-back headphones. With their ultra-sophisticated design and fine materials (full-grain leather, aluminium, etc.), they draw on the codes and signature of the Bentley brand. The luxury car manufacturer’s “Diamond” effect is found on the headband, the grille of the ear pads and the cable connectors of the headphones. The “Bentley wings” are also present on Radiance, in addition to an elegant copper finish.

These high-end headphones are packed with the latest Focal technologies for an astonishing, dynamic listening experience. They are equipped with a full-range speaker driver and a 15/8" (40mm) aluminium/magnesium “M” shape dome. The bass is deep and impactful, the midrange is balanced and the treble is mellow and linear: you’ll never look back!

Press Release

Available for Pre-Order Now

Focal Radiance Technical Specifications sheet

Type Circum-aural closed-back headphones
Impedance 35 Ohms
Sensitivity 101dB SPL / 1mW @ 1 kHz
THD 0,1% @ 1kHz / 100dB SPL
Frequency response 5Hz – 23kHz
Speaker driver 15/8" Aluminium/Magnesium “M” shape dome
Weight 22.05lbs (435g)
Cables supplied • 1 x 4ft. (1.2m) OFC 24 AWG cable with 1/8" (3.5mm) unbalanced TRS jack connector & 1 x jack adapter, 1/8" (3.5mm) point socket – 1/4" (6.35mm) point plug
Hard-shell carry case provided

We are in line to receive one of the first review units in North America which will unfortunately have to get sent back to Focal pretty quickly since they review units are very limited but keep a look out for @Resolve’s impressions, review and measurements in the near future.

In the meantime, what do you think of the Radiance?

15 Likes

I notice the Focal symbol on the cup is solid, huh? I wonder how they reworked the cup to get the venting the Elegias had on the symbol.

5 Likes

These actually look pretty sweet. At 35 ohms I’m thinking it’s a baby Stellia, which could be a very good thing.

Looking forward to hear impressions of this one. :+1:t4:

6 Likes

One thing is sure with every Focal, they are beautifully made and the construction is solid and done to last a lifetime.

6 Likes

By looks, it beats all Focals.

It’s none available character is nothing I‘d get excited for, if soundquality and tuning are matching price and presentation.
Though, good for those, who can get their hands on.

If it’s closer to the Elegia vs the Stellia tuning, it would be my searched for closed back.

4 Likes

Based on @andrew’s call with Focal’s North American marketing manager, it sounds like it will be similar to the Elegia with more low-end and some extra isolation due to the leather pads. I’d definitely be happy to grab a pair for myself if that’s the case. Really liked my Elegia when I had it but the extra bass would be useful when I’m commuting to the Headphones.com office.

13 Likes

They discontinued the Elegia so is this the replacement? I have the Elegia, but extra bass presence would be great. And those looks! Looking really classy and sharp. Tempting…

3 Likes

This is not the Elegia replacement as this is just a limited run headphone. For some people it could be a replacement for the Elegia depending on how they turned out to be tuned but it is not an official replacement in Focal’s line-up for the Elegia.

6 Likes

Looks nice. Unfortunately my friends aren’t impressed by Bentley. Heck, most of them won’t roll out of bed unless they can be shuttled to the bathroom in a Bugatti Chiron.

:rofl: :wink:

Seriously though… That limited run concept confuses me. Are they going to do a “normal” version of this, only cheaper and without the copper bling later on? I guess I’m wondering why this exists like it does.

10 Likes

REASONS!!! That is all you need to know!!! back to the dungeon with you cracks whip “back you” back!!" Cracks whip

:wink:

7 Likes

prof stay away from the copper! - the later/final version needs it, like it probably needs some third party cables LoL

though on the picture, it looks like Focal includes a new style cable :hugs:

3 Likes

Good. Their stock cables have left a lot to be desired, from my experience. That barrel connector thing on Utopia is neat, but a serious PITA at the same time.

7 Likes

I wonder how much the Bentley and Naim association is driving up the price for these limited run HP. Looks cool.

2 Likes

I recently got one of the new style focal cables as a Stellia replacement. No microphonics and significant improvement on the Stellia stock cable.

6 Likes

this is good news! - thank you Victor!

2 Likes

They look amazing, but that sounds basically like an Elegia with the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads (which I have and do really like).

4 Likes

looks sexy as all hell (maybe except for the B-wings) :heart_eyes:
looking forward to the review.

2 Likes

I’ve been considering the Dekoni Elite sheepskin pads (the solid ones I assume) for my Elegias as an alternative to the stock pads. So other than more bass, what other insights do you have about them?

1 Like

Another stunning looking headphone from Focal! Looking forward to @Resolve impressions!

8 Likes

I don’t have any measurements, but I’d sure the benefits are more low end, better seal (I never understand using closed backs with less dense pads), same good comfort as stock, and of course much less expensive than stock.

2 Likes