General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Hell, for $50 — almost a no-brainer. All metal headband not too uncomfortable?

There is more in the porta pro thread than I could ever hope to know about them:

(but honestly, like you said… $50. The value proposition is powerful)

1 Like

Yeah, absolutely. I was damn close to taking my Sundara out there and hoping for the best.

I defend Beats and cheap bassy Sony gear for exercise (only). The act of physical exertion moves the drivers around – especially IEMs – and one can lose the seal and bass in the process. While exercising I don’t hear the bass as excessive at all. Listening when resting…no, no, no.

I’ve rotated through several workout IEMs and the Beats were not the worst (the worst were Anker).

These guys behind your ears, wraps around the back of your neck, year warranty. Iphone or ipad, get your workout done.

Elliot, an outside the headphone box suggestion?

Get yourself a boom box or re-purpose an old set of speakers and and amp. Are headphones required if you are working out in the garage?

2 Likes

Not technically, BUT, I do typically lift at 5 a.m. with a sleeping one year old in the room adjacent to the garage, so I can actually get things louder if headphones. When exercising outside in the summer months, I do use speakers!

2 Likes

Ah, the little one factor. Please disregard my ignorance.

1 Like

Certainly not your ignorance, my man! Not sure I’ve mentioned the kiddo before!

1 Like

Heard good things, but I REALLY prefer over ear headphones. I’ve considered the Studio ones with replacement sweat resistant covers. Apparently there’s a whole market for that. But at $400, not sure the juice is worth the squeeze and I could just run sturdy non-gym headphones and hope for the best.

And my use case was different. I did use the beats for lifting but mostly running outside in any weather and sweating profusely. I’d go out for a couple hours on a run with the beats, they fit well on the ears and the cords behind the neck was barely noticeable.

How about the AirPod Max? Not a sexy choice but they’re lightweight, comfy as hell, and sound pretty good, certainly good enough with blood rushing to your head.

Just sorta figured at that price point, has to be something better. Maybe I’m wrong!

I prefer the sonics of the KSC75 with Yaxi pads and Parts Express headband over the Porta Pros. However, I currently have Porta Pros with Yaxi which have a microphone and also a more secure headband for exercising.

1 Like

I’ve had similar experience with Headamp. Some retailers, like Walter at Underwood Hi-Fi, get back to you RIGHT AWAY, about any question you might have. Some are like Justin at Headamp, who means well, but is not near the top of my list when it comes to responding to messages, emails, etc from customers. He eventually does, but patience is sometimes required. Whether you think patience SHOULD be required is another issue. Good luck…

For those following along, I took my Blessing 2 into the gym today, run through the Qudelix 5k to my IPad streaming Quboz. As you might imagine, sound quality was there and I definitely found myself noticing the music more as opposed to that sort of passive mode we can go into when listening to music while doing involved activities. The question, of course, is if these would survive very long in that use case.

Open to guesses.

Check the IPX rating for sweat resistance. Welcome to mass-market products.

2 Likes

I’ve killed so many ipx7, i could give you a laundry list. Don’t remember any ipx8

Yeah, aware of the rankings but couldn’t find anything on the B2 oddly enough. Guessing most audiophile headphones and iems just don’t consider this.

If you’re willing to go with IEMs instead over over-ears, why not just get a decent set of TWS like the Samsung Galaxy Buds2 or Buds Pro? The noisiness/busyness of the gym combined with you not truly focusing on the music (but rather your workout) will likely negate any sound quality differences you’ll potentially hear. The gym is not the place to focus your attention on the sound quality of your headphones/IEMs.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been running and working out (and getting quite sweaty) with the Galaxy Buds line since originally released. They’ve never come out of my ears, nor have they had issues getting wet from sweat.

3 Likes