General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

In regards to the staging and “clustered” sound…I agree with what everyone else has said in regards to minimal improvements from amp/dac upgrades and the other advice given regarding recordings, speakers etc.

I did want to add some of my observations since I have these headphones also.

First the Clear sound clustered to me too. They are intimate and forward. They sound shouty and claustrophobic to me…not my favorite. To each his own.

The HD800S though are another story. They and the Arya have been my 2 favorites up until recently getting the Susvara. I would switch between the 2 depending on what I’m listening to. To me the 800s is great for orchestral/classical because even though it does have great stage and imaging, it is a more natural sound. More like what you’d hear at a venue. Where instruments are clearly in their “space”, it’s more a general area and things blend more so than on the Arya. There’s more space around instruments with Arya. They are still clearly defined and you can easily focus on something and follow it but it’s not “pulled apart”. I love this headphone for certain music/moods.

The Arya also has great staging and imaging. What a lot of people dislike about them is how separated things can sound. To the point of being described as torn apart. Which I have found is quite dependent on gear pairing/synergy.

Compared to the 800s, things are still wide and open but there’s more space around instruments. Where you can close your eyes with 800s and say “the violin is over on this side and up here” . The Arya is much more pinpoint…the violin is in this exact spot. More pinpoint where 800s is a broader image.

This headphone was my favorite till the Susvara. I love the clarity and separation. With the right synergy I think it’s pretty awesome. Movie soundtracks, electronic, ambient and others are fricken great on this IMO

My first Dac/amp combo with it wasn’t great…actually it really sucked.(smsl su8 +thx 887) It made everything dry and clinical. It had absolutely no soul to the music.

All this is to say you might try a planar headphone. Maybe it will give you that separation you’re looking for. Keep in mind that all the previously mentioned things apply as far as recording quality, genres, gear synergy blah blah blah.

In my opinion these 2 headphones are a good complement to each other.

Also, as you seem like you’ve caught the bug like the rest of us and are in it for the long haul… I would suggest hanging on to your headphones as you move up the gear ladder if you’re able to.

I’ve been surprised at the changes/synergies and scaling certain headphones are capable of as I progress up the chain. What you didn’t initially like you may with your next change in setup and you’ll learn what attributes are important to you.

Enjoy the journey :grimacing:

3 Likes

You can have them made. Any company that specializes would do it.

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/

Cardas will modify their existing branded headphone cables. I’ve sent up two of the old model Cross headphone cables and had them modify them. A 4.5m single ended, and a 6m XLR. I bought the cable, and then had them re-terminated by Cardas. $60 for each (one re-termination) plus shipping. They only do work on Cardas cables.

If you need only single ended, these are high quality and reasonably priced. Mogami is good wire.

4 Likes

Periapt is another cable company to consider . Had a cable made for my HD 6XX . Works well , looks like it was made well , sounds better than stock I suppose . May go back to them for my K 7XX , & HE 4XX .

3 Likes

I have one Periapt cable. It was a DROP special. Good prices, good build quality.

3 Likes

Yeah this is a terrific link. You nailed it. More high end option as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am tentatively looking at purchasing a planar iem. I absolutely LOVE my Anandas, but there is zero isolation with them, and sometimes things are a bit noisy here. I like the planar ‘sound’, and for the times when I do need to close out much of the ambient noise, an iem seems like a good option. Any thoughts on what might be a good choice for a planar iem? I’ve looked at some youtube video reviews, but they all seem to say that whatever model is under discussion is ‘the best’. Fit and comfort are as important as sound.

Thanks!

1 Like

Happy join-birthday @Nephilim_81. It’s mine too today.

:cake: :cake: :cake:

6 Likes

Happy Slice o”Cake Day to both of you !!! @generic @Nephilim_81

6 Likes

Happy Headphone-versary to you both, generic and Nephilim_81!

6 Likes

Have you looked at the 7Hz Timeless? It seems to be a popular choice for a planar IEM.

3 Likes

I have, and they do look good… but I am seeing comments on the build quality, and one comment about them having a short nozzle and thus a shallow entry.

1 Like

You’re probably putting too much stock in a few people who’ve had less than ideal experiences. Try the IEMs you’re interested in and let your ears decide. Also, different sizes tips can fix fit issues.

2 Likes

Couple other options are the Shuoer S12 and Tin P1 Max Big Panda. I haven’t tried the S12 myself but the Tin P1 Max’s fit is very accommodating.

Though I personally do think they don’t really sound like planars in the way planar headphones do but others may disagree.

2 Likes

I have only tried the S12 and Timeless out if the 4 or 5 that are popular at the moment.

Out of the 2, I personally preferred the S12, I find the tuning pleasurable and the comfort more to my liking (but everyone’s anatomy is different).

I will be posting a full review of the S12 later this week but I posted a mini review of the Timeless (with comparisons to the S12) here:

2 Likes

Ummm? May I suggest something so extravagant and beautiful.

The final Audio Piano Forte. Ooooooooohhhhh. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I love it here!

@Audiophool and @hottyson you guys are pure gents as well.

Thank you. :hugs:

3 Likes

Oooh! Purdy! If I didn’t need isolation (and if I had the $)…

2 Likes

First of all, thanks for all the helpful replies, much appreciated! A major problem for me is the fact that there are no stores anywhere near me to be able to try any of the suggested items, so the personal experiences of y’all are most helpful. Based on what I have been reading here and elsewhere, I am going to try the Shuoer S12 for starters. I realize that everyone’s ear shapes are different, so I will be looking at fit and isolation first off. Paws crossed!

6 Likes

It’s interesting that planar magnetic IEMs have gained so much momentum in the last year. Campfire just debuted in Tokyo a new planar magnetic IEM called the “Supermoon.”

I personally have three: Audeze iSine 10, 7Hz Timeless, and the Tin P2. The first two are like hearing nothing else. Especially the Timeless. It is just so noticeably different from the typical DD or BA or hybrid, and that comes with a wonderful new vibe to it.

The P2, however, has a presentation and oomph to it that is very much like over ears planar magnetic phones from the likes of HiFiMan and Audeze. Nice to have that big impactful sound from an IEM!
The rap on the P2 is glaring heat in the treble beyond 12 KHz. So younger ears may need PEQ.

2 Likes

Can anyone recommend an XLR to RCA cable who might have any experience with one?

I’m looking for a cable that would utilize Burson Soloist XLR out to a desktop powered speaker RCA in. I haven’t yet decided to pull the trigger on the Burson, but my speakers don’t take XLR cables :slightly_smiling_face:

Monoprice has this, it would work but I might want a better cable. It’s probably sufficient though…?

I looked more closely, I guess I would need female XLR to male RCA…