General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Current. They like lots of current to sound their best. Some high power rated stuff doesn’t do great, specs don’t tell you how much and how well it delivers the amps.

3 Likes

Gotchaaaa. You guys think an atom stack or DX3 Pro+ would be good enough, or is there good reason to go with something like the Element III or E50/L50 stack?

For general purpose planar applications, none of the above. I’d personally focus on stuff in the Schiit Jotunheim 2 or Lyr 3 class. Some planar headphones are shockingly hungry for current. You can think they sound good until you give them more more more.

https://www.schiit.com/products

Note also that Topping isn’t a popular brand in this forum.

5 Likes

Interestingggg. So it looks like ~3+ watts into 32ohms is the way to go with planars in general? And is the LCD a little easier to drive?

I’ve generally thought to stay away from schitt because of their reputation of having a “glaring” slightly grainy presentation according to some reviewers, and their chance of blowing up😂, but do you guys think differently?

What do you guys think about Burson, such as the Burson Playmate?

And why the negative view of topping? I have heard resolve say he wasn’t a fan of the A90 and was curious as to why.

(These may be rookie questions, so if something is already throughly talked about, I understand if you don’t wanna get into it, just send me in the right direction. And if you have additional thoughts on my previous questions, lemme know. Thanks guys!!)

2 Likes

Schiit’s older products and lower end products can indeed be grainy or glare. I got rid of my old Magni 3 (not 3+) for those exact reasons. However, I have the Lyr 3 now and it’s almost too rounded and gentle.

Burson has a following on this website – see the Burson thread. Some reported QC issues but I have no personal experience. I’ve been tempted by several of their products.

Topping: Many seemed to like them in the early days when they cost $100. They competed well against Schiit, Objective 2, and other products back then. Over the years they’ve become fairly expensive but still focus on an ultra-clean, ultra-analytical profile in the THX vein. This can be great for pro audio and mastering, but quite fatiguing for everyday use. I’d guess that 2/3rds of the regulars here focus on tube amps, and most of the rest probably choose less edgy, less dry solid state amps. This includes Burson, Schiit, RebelAmp, etc.

Some also complain that Topping games its measurements and focuses on irrelevant measurements (crazy SINAD values) that result in no audible improvements (e.g., correct me if I’m wrong @Resolve, and see this GoldenSound video). Finally, Topping has a hit-or-miss reputation for reliability and customer service. Plus, the early L30 amps blew up and caused damage.

See the threads below for past amp recommendations and discussion:

6 Likes

It’s not necessarily the manufacturer’s total power rating, but rather the sustained delivery of current. Class A is a good choice for planars in my opinion, so if I was you and didn’t want to break the bank, I’d grab the Schiit Asgard class A amp; pair it with a Schiit Modius DAC or maybe the Soncoz LA-QXD1 and enjoy.

3 Likes

Most of the Burson gear has plenty of juice. It sounds pretty good. I have a Conductor 3x Reference that i bought last summer (Basically a XLR input/output Soloist with a DAC). Has balanced, and unbalanced headphone output. Has a small remote. Can be used as a preamp. Whoever designed their controls probably never seriously used them. Quirky controls for sure. They also run like heaters, putting off a good amount of heat on the case.

I recently bought a Sparkos Aries. Awesome unit. 2.8w at 32 ohms. 0.5w at 300 ohms. Plenty of juice to drive my Dan Clark Ether 2s. The touch screen interface is excellent and intuitive. No remote though. It needs to be within arm’s reach.

With respect to Burson QC, I just had an issue with Burson getting a replacement volume /select knob. Mine was visibly warped and I sent them a video showing that. They said the warped control was within specs according to engineering, and initially refused to replace it. That certainly gave me pause with respect to warranty support. After more discussion, I believe they will be replacing it now…waiting patiently for a confirmation of one being shipped. The COVID pandemic caused Burson and its supply chain a lot of issues. Even going back to when I ordered it.

5 Likes

Hello, I live in Denver and was wondering if there was anyway to demo headphones? It seems like it is almost impossible. I’ve contacted local shops with no real luck. I just want to demo some Focal Stellia, Celestee, & Sennheiser HD20 if possible i would also demo Radiance (that seems unlikely now). Is there anyway online to rent them for a weekend? that would be Ideal, but all of my searches have led to nothing. It’s crazy to be honest. I don’t want to buy and return that is just silly. CanJam looks promising but they don’t fit into my schedule. Anyone have any Ideas? I am looking seriously to buy one of these 3 but I need to test and if they are what I am looking for. If I don’t like these 3 then I need to look at other closed back options.

1 Like

The closest thing I know of, to what you’re asking for, would be “The Cable Co” Headphone Lending Library.

Other than that, you’re dealing with limited local stock (if anything), or using the generous return policies of places like headphones.com.

I’ve personally used the “Headphone Lending Library”, back when it was new. I don’t know if it works the same way now as it did then, but at the time (this was 2015), you chose the headphones you wanted to borrow, paid a 5% deposit, plus shipping, and you had a week with them to compare them.

The 5% deposit could be applied to any purchase at “The Cable Co”, even if you didn’t buy one of the headphones you borrowed - but was not otherwise refundable.

Was a smooth and useful process for me … that lead to me buying the original Abyss AB-1266.

8 Likes

Thanks for this. Hopefully it will work out. This never showed up on any of my multiple searches.

The type of headphone I am looking for is Open-back (TYGR 300 R, Sennheisser 560 S, PC38X, Philips X2HR)

My price range is: $200

I like to listen to: Piano, Lofi, Rap, EDM, Hip hop, Classical, Pop

I will be using them for: Games (not competitive or FPS games), Movies, Music, all on PC

Currently I’ve had the Philips SHP9500 for about 3 years and I want to upgrade mostly due to the poor bass. I used it EQ’d to the Harman Curve using the Oratory1999 EQ preset, and then I raise the bass and treble a little bit. I really like the treble and detail but I wish there was more bass, which I notice with certain songs and with movies. I don’t know what the right word for this is (soundstage?, imaging?) But I really like playing video games with it because It feels like the sound is coming from all around me rather than just around my ear. I am not playing competitive games so I am not worried about hearing footsteps/gunshots, just about immersing myself in the sounds of the environment in open world type games like Breath of the Wild or Elden Ring. Lastly I like the comfort and breathability, they are very light, light clamp, and I can wear them all day without my ears getting hot.

I am looking for something with those qualities (Detail, Bass, Immersive (soundstage/imaging?), Comfort, Breathable, Open Back). I will probably EQ it to the Oratory settings for the Harman curve and then adjust as needed like my current headphones.

I’ve narrowed it down to 4 options; TYGR 300 R, Sennheisser 560 S, Philips X2HR, and Sennheisser PC38X (have read good reviews + they have a mic). Since I can’t listen to any of these before I buy I was hoping people here would have some insight or advice. Am also open to other options. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, welcome!

You might be able to get a Meze 99 Noir and possibly the Classic for $200.00-ish.

2 Likes

Hello, sorry i accidentally wrote close back in my post, I was looking specifically for open back. I’ve changed it in my post.

1 Like

Check out the Sennheiser HD 560S. The have solid imaging and a decently sized soundstage, which is ideal for gaming. They’re also enjoyable for music, though may be lacking a little for Hip Hop (don’t punch hard).

1 Like

Of the headphones you listed, I own the Sennheiser 560S, Philips Fidelio X2HR. I just did a quick comparison and I hooked them both up to a Schiit Magni 3plus since I assume that you will not be spending more on an amp than that. I played some Dua Lipa and then I played some in game sound demos to compare them.

Both music and gaming sounds were so much more enjoyable on the Sennheiser 560S. The X2HR was very low quality sounding, with lots of distortion and very unrealistic. Location cues were realistic and easy to locate on the 560S.

4 Likes

I got a question. I wonder if there is such a thing as a quality, audiophile-approved headphone extension cord?

I need this to reach an amp with my IEMs that I’m using only with my full-sized headphones because their cables reach it easily.

I’m hesitant to use some ordinary Amazon Basic extension cord.

1 Like

The HD 560s should be your choice. The best of the four headphones you listed, by some measure.

1 Like

Jeremy at Audiophile Ninja makes high quality cables at fair prices. More expensive than Chinese cables at Amazon, but you get what you pay for.

2 Likes

Using Ugreen 3.5mm extension from amazon for my headphone amp to my iem’s.
using for a few years now, pretty durable and flexible. i am no expert or have tested with anything, but sound is good.

1 Like

The GRADO Headphone extension cords are very well built for 40$.
I have a couple myself and they’ve lasted me for years. :slight_smile:

3 Likes