General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

I’ve asked Burson about this before and they told me not to use XLR to RCA interconnects because it could damage the amp. That was a while ago, and I believe they’ve recently developed XLR to RCA adapters that are safe to use, so I’d suggest reaching out to Burson about those adapters.

6 Likes

Trying to convert a balanced signal to an unbalanced signal using only a cable is a decision fraught with peril.

4 Likes

As the others said, converting XLR to RCA through a cable can cause major problems. Conversion boxes and dedicated preamps can do it for you – examples below.

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-s

2 Likes

The type of headphones I am looking for is wireless earbuds

My price range is:220-250$

I like to listen to: HipHop music

I will be using them for: mountain running, travel, commuting, home, gym(overall daily usage but particularly mountain running)

I have an iPhone. I am wondering about what wireless earbuds to get for mountain running and daily use. My budget is around 220$.

I am currently looking at AirPods Pro, Sony WF1000-MX4 or Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro or Buds2.

Firstly I was on the verge of ordering the Sony earbuds(they are on sale in a store in my country for 216$) when I read that they do not work as well when paired with an iPhone, what is more, they are apparently less comfortable and people find them to become a drag after an hour or so.

That is when I thought that maybe the AirPods are a better decision because I use an iPhone, but then came across the Galaxy Buds Pro and Buds2 on sale for 99$ and 80$.

Overall what I am looking for in earbuds would be:

-comfort

-sound quality

-battery life

Please help with the answer, also my ears are not particularly big so that may be an important point.

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Buds Pro would be my recommendation then. Mine stay secure when working out and running, even when I get sweaty. Their battery life is solid, even with noise cancellation enabled; plus the extra charge the case provides is impressive. I think the Buds Pro sound better than the AirPods Pro, and all of the tech will work through tap controls when using an iPhone; you’ll lose the ability to change the EQ/preset sound settings when using an iPhone, but they sound good in stock form anyway.

The AirPods Pro would be my second choice, as they still sound good and might have slightly better battery life. But if you can get the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro for $99, no brainer IMO.

4 Likes

The problem with XLR to RCA adapter cables is most brands short one signal side to ground. Commonly the -Neg side to ground.

This means your device’s output is driving a dead short to ground. I’ve made my own only connecting +pos XLR to pos on RCA and ground to ground with the -neg XLR floating.

You can buy them in this configuration with the neg or pos side floating. Be sure to check the cable schematic before buying or using.

However many amplifiers which have RCA and XLR output have the RCA wired in parallel to to +Pos side of the XLR and a jumper or switch is shorts the XLR -Neg side to ground. My Pass Labs amps are precisely this way. Pass provides a bare copper wire to stuff into the XLR plug to short the -Neg side.

1 Like

I see. So is it possible to just adjust the EQ from an Android phone and then it will remember the configuration?

Grell TWS/1 are by far the best sounding bluetooth earbuds I’ve heard in the $200 range. I have the Airpods Pro & Sennheiser MTW1, had the Sony XM3, and the Grell surpass all of them in soundstage width, details, and definitely have more bass than any of the AirPod models (which I assume you’d want for Hip Hop). I use them for running primarily, with the included foam tips.

1 Like

I haven’t tried that, as I preferred the default profile. But, I’ll try it with my wife’s android phone this weekend and report back.

thanks, appreciate that, waiting for your reply!

I’ll give you the rundown of the three tws I currently have…

AKG N400nc. My favorite for the office/ being at my desk.

What I like about them…

1. The best sound of the 3
  2. Best build of the 3. Earpieces are very solid- Case is all metal, also very solid. I think they look good. Feel and look (and are) better built than the others.
  3. Pretty good battery life- seems on par with Buds Pro.
  4. Bluetooth is good -no issues really if I don’t stray too far from my phone. This may or may not matter depending on use case.
  5. The touch controls are smart… There’s some kind of built in mechanics that when you put them in or out, they know and don’t register your touch. With others every slight touch or adjustment you’re skipping songs,pausing,playing or changing volume. Don’t have that problem with these. They give you time to get them in and adjusted before reacting.
  6. Sale price of $50 is stupid cheap for the quality of these.

What I don’t like…

1. Worst fit of the 3 for me…quite large and stick out quite a bit. Don’t think I’d run or do too vigorous of activities with these. Not painful or anything but certainly don’t “disappear” in your ear like some.
  2. Case is biggest of the 3 …big in the pocket. I specifically don’t use these outside my office for this reason…don’t want to walk around with that big-ass case in my pocket.
  3. Connecting can sometimes be finicky. Have to put them back in the case, close it, take them out and try try again. Sometimes takes 2 tries…one will pair but not the other.

Galaxy Buds Pro. My least used of the 3. Just kinda meh. For the slightly better sound quality than the Plus it loses in all other respects.

What I like…

1. Sound is good- no complaints. Better than Buds+, not quite as good as AKG
  2. Never have any issues with them at all…not once.
  3. Like ergonomics, fairly comfortable with the right tips. Like the color options.

What I don’t…

1. Not as comfortable as Buds+…become uncomfortable fairly quickly with stock tips. Have to experiment with tips but still not as good as Plus
  2. Worse battery life than Buds+
  3. Range not as good as Buds+
    … I know there’s a trend here….

Galaxy Buds+… Worst (not bad) sound of the 3, yet still my favorite of the 3…go figure. When I’m listening to music on the go I realized I don’t really need the highest of fidelity and fit is WAY more important to me. Fit and usability are the key. Lacking slightly in SQ but being considerably more comfortable and better battery life make it my top pick.

What I like…

1. The fit…These are earphones I can put in and wear all day long. The disappear in my ears and I completely forget about them.
  2. I really like the pass through sound or whatever it’s called. I can pause play and have a conversation with someone without taking them out.
  3. Because of fit/comfort and ambient sound feature I use these the most of the 3. I can be active and around others and these just work great and stay put.
  4. Battery life- best of the 3. Can use them all day without charging. Not the case with either of the others.
  5. Small- fit easily in my pocket
  6. Best BT range of the 3

What I don’t…

1. I have had an issue with the right earpiece not charging. Sometimes it doesn’t seat right in the charger and will be dead in the morning. Have to make sure it sits just right in the case…Got a bum set I think.
  2. Can’t adjust fit at all without triggering functions. Kinda annoying really.

What’s not helpful at all from my take I realize is that I really don’t use the features any of them offer apart from the Plus’s ambient sound function. Don’t use EQ or ANC…honestly I couldn’t even tell you what settings or functions they offer without looking it up. I just don’t bother with that stuff much.

None of this may be helpful at all and is of course highly subjective but good luck.

7 Likes

I played with the Galaxy Buds Pro this morning using my wife’s Galaxy Note. Confirmed: the EQ and noise cancellation settings that I change on her phone with the Galaxy Wearable app do in fact remain in place when I then pair them to my iPhone. So, you can indeed customize the EQ profile & touch and EQ settings on an android device, and then they’ll remain in place when paired with an iOS device.

5 Likes

Been able to get familiar with my SMSL SP200 . Liking it so far ! Cleaner than my Darkvoice , but not near as loud . Gain settings I’m sure . I’m starting to give some stronger consideration to a external dac . Also wondering if I should break my Bravo Audio Ocean out of moth balls , & MAYBE parting with my Darkvoice . Scary thought in a way .

2 Likes

OK, I did order the S12. I found the tuning to be OK, nothing special, but still pleasant. The problem for me was the fit. As you say, everyone’s ear anatomy is different, and I could not find a set of tips that sealed adequately and felt comfortable. Most simply fell out when I tilted my head to any degree. It felt as if the body if the S12 was keeping the tip from getting far enough in to seal adequately and remain secure.

I’ve shifted my sights and am looking at Entymotics and Final’s E-series (probably the E4000 or 5000).

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about the fit. Some things just don’t work for some people, also, sometimes it takes me many sets of tips before I find on that works with a specific IEM.

One thing about the etymotic style is that there is no way they will fall out, they insert into the brain :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard that! :upside_down_face: I am leaning towards the Final E series for that reason. Same general shape for the body, without the surgical instrument insertion. My goal in this was to have an alternative to the Anandas for times when household noises (and neighborhood noises when the windows are all open) obliterate the soft passages in what I am listening to, even if the alternative isn’t as beautiful as the Anandas.

1 Like

Andrew/Resolve has probably posted his personal dac & amp gear somewhere else, but before watching the livestream yesterday, I didn’t know what he used, and I was surprised and found it useful because it was stuff that I can actually afford and might buy. He starts talking about it at about 1:07. He didn’t specify which THX amp, and I couldn’t understand the other amp he said he used. Does anyone here know what he said?

DAC: Soncoz LA-QXD1 ~$200
Main Amp: a THX amp (probably aaa one) ~$200
Amp for Power-Hungry Planars: kina h6? ~$500 (i couldn’t understand what he said or find what he was talking about on that one)

1 Like

Fixed it for you above. Here’s a link to it:
https://www.headphones.com/products/cayin-iha-6

2 Likes

I have a question, but it’s not general - refers to power conditioners, so I put it here:

Posted this pointer because not everybody knows there is a different topic for power discussion and advice.

2 Likes

Do you guys think the balanced output of the qudelix 5k (~200 milliwatts per channel according to Amir’s measurements) can provide enough power to comfortably power the Harmonicdyne Zeus?
or, would an atom stack or 789 be beneficial?

1 Like