General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

I do think the ZMFs are beautiful, but I haven’t really spent much time researching things above the $1K range yet. I’d love to be able to hear a few different options before taking the next plunge. The gamer in me wants to hear the HD800S, but I’m worried the positives in soundstage and imaging won’t balance out to just enjoying them for music. Also appreciate the artistic design of the Rosson and ZMF stuff and would love to hear them also. When I see photos posted in here of people’s headphone collections I want to run over there immediately and listen to them all! Wishing a Dallas CanJAm into existence, I guess!

4 Likes

For me personally, this is a 24/7 decision for the HD800s.
I love these headphones, especially for its, in direct comparison, more natural sound, the significantly larger and more finely staggered stage, its comfort and, in my opinion, it is less amp sensitive than the focal.

It even works excellently in connection with your Fiio K9pro.

It’s a bit dependent on the music genre, but for classical, jazz, blues, and folk, it’s hard to find significantly better headphones that aren’t significantly more expensive.

Having said that, I have to say that good biocellulose drivers just got me hooked and triggered a craving for more, and longer listening sessions.
This is the reason for the Auteur recommendation, since the Atrium might then go beyond the price range.

To me, a good biocellulose driver simply sounds more powerful, basses get an enormous volume and a naturalness that no other type of driver can reproduce in this way.
Without “bothering” the other frequencies.

In the middle frequency range there is an unbelievable naturalness,

In my opinion, both E-Stad’s and planar drivers only have advantages in the high frequencies, which make the sound appear more airy and a little more precise.

I then often catch myself feeling the sound of these headphones as weightless or too thin.

Well, a matter of taste.

P.S.:
I‘m Not a Gamer :wink:

6 Likes

Getting in the car right now to come over and give them a listen…

1 Like

I’ve owned the Clear for a couple years and bought the HD 800 S last year. I now choose the 800 S on a tube amp for music about 80% of the time. Without a tube amp the 800 S can sound relatively distant and thin, but tube harmonics (and a bass boost) bring it to life.

The Clear is more punchy and energetic, so I still like it better sometimes. Beyond a certain quality point audio equipment is all about moods and flavors.

7 Likes

What tube amp are you using @generic ?

This:

I currently own the weird/bizarre/goofy but decent sounding DarkVoice 336 SE, and the easy on the ears Lyr 3 (but I don’t use it often with the 800 S). Oh, I also have the ultra budget Loxjie P20 ($99) as an entry-level baseline. I don’t use it much these days.

4 Likes

I saw some folks talking about the Loxjie p20 and Cavalli as good options too, so it sound like there are several options out there in different price ranges.

1 Like

Yes, several options and tube amps range from <$100 to $10K and $100K. They can be a massive money pit, especially for speaker systems. There are various amp recommendation threads on this site, spanning all price brackets. The cheapest tube amps tend to either (1) have a serious performance flaw, or (2) exaggerate the “tubeyness” in a distracting fashion. As you move up the price ladder they become a mix of budget, taste, and prestige.

4 Likes

Well knowing that you use the HD800s as mostly a daily driver makes me feel better that’s it’s something that isn’t just a niche headphone.

2 Likes

Tube amp pairings are also really dependent on the design of the amp (e.g. hybrid, OTL, output transformer) and the specific headphone(s) you’re using with it.

This may be a random suggestion, but the Schiit Valhalla 2 is a great match for high impedance dynamic headphones, like ZMF or the Sennheiser 300 ohm models.

The price won’t bust the bank (now $400, was $350), and it’s really nice for the tube curious.

It’s OTL, and I quite enjoy it with the ZMF Verite and Atrium. I would bet it would be interesting with the 800s. It’s pretty neutral, but it does bring some tube “magic” to the game. You can easily roll the input tubes, though output tube options are more limited.

Anyway, many options! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the advice @InvisibleInk & @Nuance.

I really like both open and closed-back. I like them both for their strengths and acknowledge their drawbacks. Really trying to find the best tradeoff.

Thanks again for everything, I will let you know how I go.

Cheers

2 Likes

For context, I already have a Zen DAC V2 but I can get a new Drop O2 cheaply (same price they go for used). I know I’ll lose the balanced out and from what I’ve read it wouldn’t be an upgrade, but I’m curious about it. Would it be a waste of time? Headphones are Hifiman HE560, AKG K701 and Grado SR125 es.
Thanks!

I don’t have either, but that seems like a “side-grade” at best.

2 Likes

I had the Zen DAC and the Atom DAC/Amp combo which is based on the O2. The Atom has more power than the Zen DAC alone (though not as much as the Zen DAC/Can combo) but otherwise I thought the Zen sounded much better. The Atom by comparison sounded dry and clinical to me.

2 Likes

The Hifinman he-560v4 . They an upgrade or sidegrade to the he-,4xx ?

Sounds like it’s nearly free to try – if you don’t like it, you turn around and sell it for something real close to your purchase price. Costs very little (maybe nothing at all) to satisfy your curiosity. Why not?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Lou

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ve since moved on to thinking about more expensive amps (but of course). So what I’m now wondering is, how much of an upgrade would it be to add a Zen Can to my Zen DAC V2?

Also, my daily drivers are a set of Hifiman HE560 V4s (I love ‘em) - would Sundaras be a meaningful upgrade or more of a sidegrade?

Everyone travels the path that works for them but I would skip the side/minor upgrade, take time to learn what you like and then save for a major upgrade.

You can wind up spending a bunch when “saving money” on small upgrades. That money could have gone to a significant upgrade.

6 Likes

I have HE560 v2. When they came out, the positioning in the Hifiman line was significantly above the Sundara. I have not heard Sundara, but knowing the HE560, I’d think Sundara would be a side-grade at best.

If you like the Hifiman sound, the next significant bump up would probably be the Arya.
Recently, I moved to higher end headphones (not counting the electrostatic Nectar Hive, which I consider to be significantly better than the HE560) and went for the Rosson Audio RAD-0. It was between them, the Arya Stealth, and Sennheiser 800s.

Was hoping to start on a review this weekend, but family duties wreaked havoc with any personal time.

6 Likes

I am looking for my next headphone upgrade, so I would like some suggestions

I currently own - LCD-X 2021, Elex, HE6sev2, Sundara, HD600. I equalize every headphone to Harman with less bass shelf than suggested, and then tweak a bit by ear. Don’t really have a budget in mind, I can go for Susvara and such but I am always looking for value in my purchases, not just hobbies (as in if something is say 95% close to best but costs less than say 70%, I am going for the cheaper option). That is to say while I am open to getting summit fi products, I am happy with something closer if it costs less.

Currently I am looking at Arya Stealth and HE1000V2 among others. Anything else I should be looking into? how are the zmfs? or that rosson audio one? I unfortunately don’t have a sound signature in mind, just looking for something that is very abstractly a bit better at something than what I have.

I currently use Jotunheim 2 and SU9, but would ideally have just an all in one on my desk if possible. Benchmark HPA4 is something I might get in near future.

1 Like