General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

The Audio GD house sound is polarizing (i.e., colored/distorted). It seems to have gone out of fashion, or other brands have grabbed more attention. That’s one I’d absolutely try before buying.

oh okok, thanks for the formal warning generic. i kind of rely on things not being too specialized because i can never try before i buy and im not too sure of my sound

:cat:

Hi Everyone, question about USB Micro. Thinking of a one of the little DACs for a bedside rig. The newer Schiit DACS like the Modi MB have only micro USB input, whereas the Topping D10s (for example) still uses a full size USB B input. If I use one of these it is fixed:

https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-USB-B-Micro-Adaptor/dp/B00M0H4J6C/?encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=zlBtu&pf_rd_p=49ff6d7e-521c-4ccb-9f0a-35346bfc72eb&pf_rd_r=RPC9JZAVME42RDNYY120&pd_rd_r=43cd0f7a-3a37-44b5-9f34-f12d09844138&pd_rd_wg=SneO3&ref=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

But its another link in the chain, small expense, etc.

I am working under the assumption at the moment it will make no difference in sound since it is not an analog signal going through, but any chance it could degrade the USB signal or be a place for interference to weasel its way in?

Probably a paranoid question, but wonder if anyone has an opinion.

Thanks, Happy Listening.

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

Your question is a little difficult for me to understand;

1.) What is the signal source for this DAC: computer, tablet, phone?

2.) Which amplifier / loudspeaker do you want to operate with it?

3.) How high is the power requirement for the device?

This shows which cabling and devices can be used and how sensitive they are, e.g. existing power cables, magnets or light sources etc.

I’m coming out of a computer or a phone USB to the DAC vs using my phone headphone jack, into the Asgard 2. Not a power question, just curious if anyone thinks USB micro is a quality compromise vs full size USB B into the DAC.

The only compromise is that they (micro USB) are not as robust.

Just use a normal USB A to MicroUSB data cable (sorry, I don’t know what your link was to, it brings up a Dragonfly DAC when I click on it).

2 Likes

Yep, exactly as @SenyorC mention it :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks, the link was to a USB B to micro adapter, which if I wanted to use a higher grade USB (not to open that can of worms, but I have one from awhile ago) I’d need the adapter to go into a Schiit Modi MB. Unless as you say, I just use a standard micro USB cable.

I suspect you’re right and outside of the build, there is no difference…

Thanks!

2 Likes

Nope. I don’t think it’s a compromise. Just a smaller plug.

1 Like

Thank you for the confirmation.

What are your preferences, what dac/amp are you planning on using, and define “best”.

1 Like

A bit too broad of a question and I’d add to what @ProfFalkin noted. For me there are quite a few really good headphones under $2000 that I’d take over the Sundara (granted I only heard it for a few weeks when I was visiting a friend): What I have that I think are great headphones under 2K: HD800, HD700, T1gen1, ZMF VO, Grado RS2e, Stax L-700, LCD-2f and custom made Ypsilon R1 (Grado clone)

3 Likes

Have you tried dynamic driver headphones (Meze 99?), tube amps, and R2R/multibit DACs? What is your budget for the DAC and amp, if applicable? Your initial post focused on the headphone, but this may entail the full chain.

I’d suggest the HE560 might be one that you try out if you like the Sundara since I think the Sundara is a bit too smoothed out compared to the HE560. I really like my HE560 but since its the 2nd gen with SMC jacks and Hifiman are not really known to have great QC its a bit of a crap shoot with the newer ones. As for amps you might want to check out a Project Ember since it has adjustable output impedance and you can roll quite a few different families of tubes to tune its sound to your liking but just remember that rolling tubes can be a deep rabbit hole.

1 Like

https://www.thomannmusic.com/focal_clear_professional.htm

Headphone :exclamation: :+1:

It sounds as if you would prefer sonically, slightly warmer DAC / AMP combinations paired with rather clear, detailed and rather brighter headphones-

Then we will both conform in this regard.

That’s why I would recommend one from ifi Audio as a DAC, and switch it in front of the Rebel Amp, that’s priced in your $ 2000 range and sounds very valuable as a combination.

As a cheaper alternative to headphones, I can highly recommend the iBasso SR2, which also goes perfectly with this DAC / AMP variant.

6 Likes

I was also going to recommend the Clear; it’s easy to drive, sounds good out of affordable DAC and amps, and it scales nicely if you invest in a higher quality chain.

5 Likes

I also was going to recommend the Clear. Your DAC may be adequate, but consider the Schiit Jotunheim 2 amplifier as a first upgrade.

Whether your ear prefers Hifiman/Focal or Audeze sonics is a matter of preference. Most people are likely to prefer the Arya over the Sundara. It might be that the Sundara is more forgiving of poor recordings and subpar chains - this is sometimes advantageous. Good luck.

1 Like

Schiit audio’s european strategy is a catastrophe.

Although there is an official trading post in Holland, no goods have been available there for at least 6-7 months now.

And when I order products from America, the transfer costs and customs duties are so high that it no longer makes sense to order products from Schiit, as European products are even cheaper and of at least the same quality.

2 Likes

I’m curious, do you also have an income tax as well as VAT? For example, if you make $100k a year, $25K of that goes to the government automatically?

If anyone has heard the Sony CD900st, can you recommend me a headphone to upgrade to that does vocals really well?

Thanks!

1 Like