Grado Hemp - Official Thread

This is the place to discuss all things Grado Hemp: Grado Hemp Open-Air On-Ear Headphones – Headphones.com

This headphone has been reviewed by a few folks, myself included. Check out the reviews here:

For those who are wondering about the tuning, here are the measurements:

Default tuning is typically Grado with the midrange honk around 2khz - but these do have a bit better bass extension than some of the other models.

With Geekria Pads:

In general, the tuning isn’t for me, but they do remind me of the Sennheiser HD800s in some respects - like the shifted upper mid to lower treble kind of balance. They also have a decent soundstage on them. So, not my kind of thing but I can understand why someone might like this. Those who are treble sensitive should probably look elsewhere though.

13 Likes

I first saw these a few months ago; I like the concept and the price! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Would love to see measurements with the pads from beautiful audio and/or shipibo! Curious to see how they compare with the geekria ones, as they are very different. I’m also curious to see how the Hemps compare to the new 325x. In theory, the only difference between the 325x and the Hemp should be the housing being in wood vs metal right?

shipibo.audio and beautifulaudio.biz are the websites for the pads i mentioned btw!

1 Like

I love my sr80e’s, and I’m honestly considering picking these up. The only thing I’m worried about is if I’m paying a lot extra for the jokes, or if it’s actually worth the entire $420. It definitely sounds like they are good though, even for my use, and the novelty of it is just great, so even if it isn’t “worth” it I may end up just getting it anyway.
Looks neat.

I’ve heard the hemp’s are similar to the 325x’s, which I have. Does anyone know of harmon PEQ settings for the 325x?

Anyone have an answer to this? I cannot find adequate PEQ settings for the 325x, so will using those for the Hemp work?

Sorry, I don’t have the answer to your question. But, I see that no one has responded. If you have a Windows PC handy, might I suggest that you try what I use for my Grado Hemp (and most of my headphones)? I am running Equalizer APO’s utilizing HeSuVi to allow AutoEQ presets for my headphones. There is a preset for the Hemp in the latest update that sounds fantastic to my ears.

Directions are here: HeSuVi / Wiki / Help
First, download and install both apps following these directions under “Installation”
Next, adjust the sample rate to accommodate your DAC as directed under “7.1 Virtualization”
Last, update the presets as outlined under “Updating Equalizer Profiles”

That is it!
Once installed, you can readily enjoy presets for most headphones simply at the click of your mouse.

There’s not much info of any kind for the x series. It seems the “audiophile” crowd that tends to do measurements, reviews, etc. is not interested in Grados.

As an aside, after almost 2 years of unccessful struggle to make headphones a viable listening experience following the “accepted” open back route (ie Sundara) on a whim I tried some old SR60e’s and wham - instant success.

The SR60e’s may not have “natural” tonality but also don’t sound like I’m listening to a 2" speaker inside a dixie cup held to my ear.

I’m now looking into the new x series and like you I can’t find any detailed info on the new line.

The e series changed tuning (I think starting with the 225) so it was more like two different lines. I’m trying to find out if that’s still the case for the x series.

From what I read the Hemp is part of a change to less of the extreme Grado sound and the 325x is in the same ballpark (possibly even using the same driver).

Anyway, hope you find some info about the 325x but in the meantime I suspect it would be worth trying the Hemp settings as a starting point.

Thank you as well for replying.

I am not wealthy, and have always loved headphones, and especially Grado’s. I am not sure why that is. Perhaps it’s just the sound that matches what I like. I do have original SR60’s, not eve e or i versions. The 325x is a new addition.

I have other open backs as well, but I just love Grado’s for some reason. Can’t really explain why.

I am not a bass head, and for what I listen to, Grado’s are top notch for me. I got the 325x’s because I understood they had a “bit” more bass, but also read an article that they are very similar sounding to the Hemp, and 325e. I’ve tried both (PEQ), and am currently using Hemp settings.

Everybody has their own tastes. I can’t afford what would be my endgame cans, a higher level of Audeze, but, for what I have, I am “currently” satisfied.

Have another question though for all of you. What is an “affordable” closed back headphone with good sound stage and imaging? I have not hit the nail on the head with that one … yet!

Thanks,

Viper

1 Like

Thank you for replying.

I actually am using the 325e measurements currently, I use EAPO, and Peace. I am interested in exactly what you are referring to with HeSuVi and AutoEQ. I’ve heard of AutoEQ, but am not exactly sure what it does, nor how to set it up. I will look at the article you referenced.

Ideally, from what you have said, it should be an easy process. One question though? Do you use a GUI interface for EAPO, like I use Peace? Or, is that issue referenced in the page you listed.

Thanks so much!

Viper

1 Like

Yes, HeSuVi is a graphical user interface that enables one to simply click and enjoy. The app has five tabs at the top, of which I only use two for equalization.

The “equalizer” tab is where you select your headphone.

The “connection” tab is where you click the large top button (made to look like a quarter inch plug) to connect/enable the eq to your headphone. Also on the connection tab to the right is a “Get suggestion” button that you would need to press each time you switch headphone EQ for an instant gain adjustment to avoid distortion from equalization clipping.

That is how simple it is to operate if one has already followed the directions to set up HeSuVi. It has made my equalization experience so simple.

1 Like

I bought the 325x. It’s amazing and I actually want to listen to music again. This was my last shot before bailing on headphones and selling everything. It paid off way beyond what I thought was possible for me.

As for closed backs I don’t have any experience so I can’t give any ideas there. I hope you find something but I suspect if there is such a beast it will be pretty high up the price scale.

Hello,

This is a reply to both previous replies.

Hottyson: I have yet to look into HeSuVi. Like I said, I currently use EAPO, and Peace, and have separate peq settings for the headphones I listen to most. This is a stupid question, as I have not investigated your article that you referenced yet, but, is there a way to have your pc automatically switch peq settings based on which headphone you plug in?

For just pc sound, which I don’t care about, I just use Peace High/Low boos setting. But, I also have 3 headphone amps, two solid state and use the xlr connections on them, and one tube preamp, that is used single ended. Is there such thing as a pc setup that will recognize what source I want to use by plugging in my headphones to one of these 3 amps? Currently, although I am satisfied with the sound per se, I have to manually change my sound source in settings to the correct headphone amp, and then also manually choose the eq setting in Peace. Yes, doable, but, cumbersome. I can’t imaging a way that I say: “Oh, I want to listen to quality music now, and just plug my headphones of choice in and be done with it.” I may be wrong here, as like I said, I did not read the article yet.

NickZ: Yes, I love the Grado house sound. It is not a preference for most audiophiles, and why that is I am not quite sure. I guess people like spending 5K on headphones, thinking that by doing that, they are getting the best sound. Sound quality is a “perceived” notion, and as such, my first good sounding set of headphones were my SR80 originals. Since then, I know they have gone through various incarnations. I liked the look of the 325x, but was disappointed to see that oratory1990 did not have measurements on them. Actually, I have another set of headphones that he didn’t have the measurements for, and I actually sent them to him for measurement/settings/graphs, etc… Took quite a long time as he is quite far from me, but, I was willing to wait. This time, of course I have that option again, but so many articles have said they sound like the Hemp or 325e, that I just experimented with those. Sure, not a totally accurate measurement, but, I can live with it.

Thanks to all of you.

Viper

2 Likes

That is one possibility, another possibility is that maybe they don’t like grados?

The important thing is finding what each of us like ourselves, and not worrying too much about others liking different things.

4 Likes

In HeSuVi, one would have to click on the headphone preset EQ in order to listen with that preset EQ. The application does not yet have mind reading capabilities.

The list of the latest preset EQ profiles is located here: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/hesuvi.zip Download and un-zip the small 4mb file to look through each folder to see if it has presets for your headphones.

Has anyone tried the ZMF Grado adapter to do some ZMF pad rolling with these (or any Grado HPs)? The ZMF Beyer lamb perf pads look really comfortable, though I’m curious about someone’s experience.

I think I prefer how these sound with the stock pads as opposed to the Geekria. The stock pads sound closer/imitate and brighter. Mid-range is better. Enough that it’s worth the comfort hit.