Grado - Official Thread

I currently own the RS1e and love it, but only for certain genres of music. The RS1e is a total outlier in the Grado lineup. Unlike every other model, it lacks the piercing treble that is the Grado signature sound. In fact, the RS1e measures closer to a HD600 than any other headphone.

The RS1e is great with acoustic music and vocals. It just sounds so natural and real. I think it’s a product of the mahogany tubes that are attached to the back of each driver. The resonances in the tubes add to the rich timbre of the headphone and expand the soundstage, which is quite wide. I actually prefer the RS1e over the Utopia for certain tracks, which is kinda crazy because the Utopia is my idea of perfection.

The typical Grado idiosyncrasies are also built into the RS1e. The headphones are light in weight but are coupled to a thick and heavy cable. The bowl pads kill your ears but comfort can be improved with the over ear G cushions. It feels like it’s put together with fairy dust and crossed fingers but has proven to be fairly durable.

The RS1e is often maligned and doesn’t seem to be a very popular model. Grado fans will say that they’re the worst sounding Grados, which is a result of the RS1e FR deviating so far from the house sound. Non-fans avoid it because they think it’ll sound like putting screwdrivers in your ears. But overall, the RS1e is a very enjoyable listen and it’s a shame that it’s so misunderstood. I’d definitely recommend trying one out if you get the chance.

7 Likes