Any decent wired on-ear headphones with flat pads?

There’s a list of reasons, some rational some not, that over ear headphones are not working out for me.

The only wired on-ear’s with flat pads I know of are the Grado’s. We all know about the varied and “interesting” tunings of the Grado line.

My searches turn up mostly wireless or $20 budget units.

I’d like to ask if anyone knows of decent on-ears that don’t need heroic eq to get in the ballpark of decent timbre and balance.

Koss Porta Pro! It’s no performance monster, but is easily one of the most engaging and agreeable headphones I’ve heard. That and a Dragonfly are a killer combo.

4 Likes

Sennheiser HD-25 Anniversay edition.
Are you opposed to in-ear monitors?

2 Likes

Thanks - PortaPro is a possibility but I was looking to see if there was something a bit higher up the line and more balanced.

1 Like

Well you did mention Grados. All Grado pads are interchangeable, and YAXI makes a nice flat purple pad fro Grado. If you can go with the Grado RS1E, you won’t get the signature high end on the Grado, and it has great sound stage. Good bass with the L pads - I have not tried flat pads on mine. You might look for a used pair.

2 Likes

HD-25 is interesting. I don’t know anything about them so I’ll look into it.

One of the reasons I’m looking this direction is the old PX-100 portables that I used for a long time. I became accustomed to the driver being in the open air without a cup. Too bad those are not made anymore.

I didn’t know all Grado’s could use the various pads. Of course it probably changes the sound a bit but I could poke around and see which models are closer to Harmon.

That would be the RS1e. Not just me, Tyll’s site said so too. I know that’s not easily viewed these days.

I think the PX-200 Sennheiser is similar to the old 100 that I also liked very much.

2 Likes

How about the Koss Porta Pro. They sound really good.

1 Like

Koss KSC75 with headband mod, the epitome of value for money.

2 Likes

Happy Cake Day @Narayan.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind thoughts prfallon, not my birthday today, I hadn´t set my date of birth in my personal settings and have now done so :smiley:

2 Likes

Congrats. Cake Day is you anniversary on the forum, not your birthday. This appears as a slice of cake next to your ID with new posts.

3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation generic :+1: