Headphones are a scourge

Skateboarding…can…be…a…scourge…

Just last weekend some teenager came around a blind corner on a sidewalk and very nearly collided with me and my wife. Then we rounded the corner and 3-4 “entitled” others were doing their thing. We were literally almost hit 3 times in a very small plaza.

Skate shop nearby…

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Private listening done on parks, flights, etc. I have difficulty with family who get lost in my home who are totally disengaged from the people they love. We live in a world of total disconnect. A world that soon seems will be without feeling.
Great topic.

4 Likes

Certainly can’t legislate good manners nor common sense.

3 Likes

Well, to be fair I was a downhill boarder/long boarder =) not like those degenerate “trick” boarders :wink:

3 Likes

…and using Beats…that make the whole story worst!!!

2 Likes

They were pink and white too…she was wearing a white and red running pants and tank top/sports bra thing…funny how the details are still pretty vivid for me lol

3 Likes

That’s part of the trauma when you realize about your writs and that at the end was all because some Beats !!!
I do believe some people disconnect to mucho in not to friendly places, not only with headphones, but with the phones as well.
For me in the last 4 years the park is to be with my thousands senses on my kids, three and a half and four and a half years old!!! My wife and I become radars there checking to them and checking to the distracted ones.

3 Likes

I have a 3 year old so I know these feels lol

2 Likes

Welcome @audacious.

2 Likes

reminds me… my wife and our dog… more a joke with a touch truth

prefer my music or interesting podcasts over many situations
a nice break from stupid chats around me or block out noise

3 Likes

Natural selection is certainly a factor. There are many laws protecting people from themselves.

2 Likes

Hehe, that’s kind of why I left California. Mount Diablo, Muir Woods, Lake Tahoe and such are all splendid, except that 1) it takes forever to get to them because everybody else is driving there too and 2) their peaceful splendor fails to penetrate the throngs of people.

On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed evening life this summer on a European public square like the Plaza de la Virgen in Valencia, enriched by street performers playing music or blowing giant bubbles to be chased by a herd of children. Sure I could sit there safely ensconced in my headphones, admiring the eclectic architecture of the main cathedral and savoring some gelato at a local cafe, but without the people it would feel like dead space.

As Kant observed, our struggle can be understood as the unsocial sociability of men, that is, their tendency to come together in society, coupled, however, with a continual resistance which constantly threatens to break this society up. Other people may be hell, but I suspect it would be a much worse hell without them. I shudder to imagine my world without Axel Grell, Sankar Thiagasamudram or Fang Bian!

7 Likes

You could have stopped there, and I’d have mostly agreed with you. Fang has been an embarrassment to the hobby several times on HF, his products have historically been very shoddily made, he price gouges everything he can, and the company as a whole has been pretty crappy to their customers.

So… “Hell is Fang Bian.” ~ Professor Falkin

Feel free to quote me on that.

3 Likes

Fair enough. The shoddy quality is largely why I don’t own any Hifiman products and the guy’s public demeanor leaves a lot to be desired. However, Hifiman has created a lot of downward price pressure in the planar market, for which I’m grateful. They also do make some pretty good sounding headphones, when they work.

5 Likes

I can be at Lake Tahoe in 35-45 minutes, heaven on earth…you just have to know the days and spots less frequented.

5 Likes