HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

Well its day two with the Hedds and I have already come to a conclusion that they are really very good. Even with the weight and the need for a good amp to drive them due to their relatively low efficiency.

I am not going to paste a ton of pix, you can see the pix at the start of this thread…mine look the same. The exception would be I have the newer headband with the more extension positions available over the first ones.

So here is my experience:
(apologize for any mis-spellings)

Let me first star out stating I am a headphone addict, one who likes to listen to music with all kinds of transducers hanging off my cranium, small , medium and large…always searching for that perfect reproduction of sound in my head…doing this since the days of Senn HD414s and Koss Pro4A’s…been a long ride. So this leads me to the HEDD Headphone with their speaker technology engineered into a set of headphones for the low cost of $1899!

In the past year I have owned and experienced 30+ amps, dacs and headphones. My latest love is the Focal Clears from Focal. One of the best dynamic set of headphones ever, IMO. The wonderful tonality they exhibit is spectacular to me. Then along comes this HEDD AMT thing…

The specs are:
Efficiency: 87dB SPL for 1mW
Frequency range: 10HZ - 40kHz
Impedance: 42 ohms
Weight: 718 g
Connector : Mini XLR
Cable: 2.2 meter with a 1/4" phono plug (6.3mm)

I usually wait for several months before jumping on new technology when its applied to headphones. The version I have is the lastest with the new headband extension improvement. The driver didnt change with this minor comfort update. These are huge and heavy headphones, yup no getting around that. So I was worried that this might be an issue and for me it turned out not to be! Yeah! They fit my oval head nicely work very well with my reading glasses. No issues with the big thick soft pads.

The design is really simple looking. Elegant to me. Big to me. The first time my wife saw these on me she thought NASA might have hired me for a shuttle launch! They spent a lot of time getting the headband big enough to help distribute the weight, for me it works but others have liked the sound but returned them due to the fit and weight. So the advice here is to audition these first. I would tell you that with any headphone at this price level. Makes sense.

These are open back headphones. They leak a lot of sound. So note that. They are not portable. My HEDD’s are nicely finished, excellently built, solid and weighty. According to my seller, there are earpad replacements, no pricing yet.

The ribbon like transducer is folded many times and sometimes you will hear a slight crackling sound when positioning them, this is normal. I only hear this when first putting them on without any sound and I dont hear anything while I am listening or making a minor headphone shift on my head.

Even though the headband is well designed it does not make the 718 grams disappear…the size and heft are felt. But its not as bad as some have stated IMO. I had one two hour session with no issues.

Some reviews and reviewers tout these as a TOTL headphone and compare with others costing more and even comparisons to electrostatic cans. I found these headphones to be very fast, lightning fast transients…ridiculously clear. For less than $2K they IMO are a true value that stand right up there with the best.

So how do they sound and does the weight that some tout as really detrimental play into the overall listening experience?

First of all the headphone has what is called a full range AMT driver, which allows for a very large set of dynamics to be experienced during the listening experience…I am shocked how well these cans work with recordings that have are recorded with a wide set of dynamics. When you listen to a well recorded song, a live performance its like magic…from one end of the spectrum to the other…its all there good or bad. Its like your there on stage.

Listening closely the natural decay of instruments is uncanny real and this adds to the “like live” or “being there” experience.

A prime example of this is Eva Cassidy, her live cd at Blues Alley…so mouth watering clear, clean and like your there. Excellent.

This HEDD headphone has no warmth or added anything for me…its all about faithful reproduction of what inputted into it, the “ole garbage in garbage out” addage. In spades…the AMT drive is designed for accuracy and precision…and it delivers here. Its a very neutral headphone. *But when comaring to the Focal Clears, I do notice some "warmth or thickness added…more below).

It has an uncanny resolving power, all the small stuff comes out, all of it. You instantly will tell if a recording is mediocre or well done, painfully and brutally so. They IMO are very well balanced. The bass is not over exaggerated, nor are the highs accentuated…its all good. When there is bass its there, mids, vocals are spot on, lifelike again if well recorded. Being such a neutral headphone its more of “quality over quanity” is brought out. HEDD seems to have gone after a more neutral and accurate tuning…many times its like your with the band on stage…in Spyrogyra, Freetime, song Freetime in the opening there are small finger cymbals that ring out and throughout the song…hardly ever noticed them with other headphones and with the HEDDs there they are!! Uncanny.

This brings me to piano and how hard it is for this to really sound natural and the decay of the notes…this headphone reproduces piano like"awesome dude"…listening to Albert Lee, Gagged But Not Bound, the piano is sooo real and nice. FLIM and the BB’s, George Winston’s December is excellently reproduced. Acoutic music matches this headphone very nicely.

The strings on some of the old Beatles tunes like Hard Days Night remastered and I’ll Be Back…the guitar strings, vocals and reverberations are reproduced and make you feel your in the recording studio…10/10. MY Focal Clears are really nice here as well. But these HEDD’s just take the cake here. Uncanny.

These arent the easiest to drive with their relatively low efficiency. But I have only used the SE provided cable and with a Schiit Jotenheim, Schitt Lyr 3 they were driven very well. I tried the older Schiit Magni 3 for $99 and it also was able to drive these with aplumb. I also used a highly modified old O2 amp, with 3x the current and higher voltage and it drove the heck out of these cans…My favorite was the Schiit LYR 3…but have many more amps to try.

Soundstage and imaging are also first class…wide yes, like a real orchestra across the stage well no, but close. With small bands and more intimate settings its again like being there in the band at times. Uncanny. The depth of the sound, front to back was really noticeable, Bill Whithers, The Best of Bill Whithers, Steppin Right Along…I am in front of Bill, and I can visualize to the rear and the sides…again. Uncanny.

If you want to experience real live music and have instruments sound like instruments as you hear with your ears…these will fill the bill. Anything thats in the music recording you will hear, clearly, precisly, tonally accurate…Uncanny.

These may not be the TOTL killers that some would like them to be, but they are in the running with some of the best out there…heavy yes but IMO worth the price of admission. Uncannly good.

Listening to some more jazzy modern day type of Chet Atkins, yes Chet Atkins for you millenials…President of RCA records famous discoveries of Tommy Emmanual, Dire Straits, Marty Knofler etc…the presentation is so alive and real. Al Dimeola, Kiss My Axe, Global Safari…"Open de-lightful, airy depth of the musical presentation, wow its so “deep” in the sounstage…so very, very clear. No distortion, no sibilance…very well balanced.

The one thing with these TOTL types of headphones is they will allow you to discern any other weakness or issue in your audio chain more easily than lesser resolving headphones. Its a joy and terror to go from one song to another to discover greatness or mediocrity.

Watching the designers video, its mentioned that the reason for the large headphones (spacing) was to add the distance from your ears to the actual transducer to aid in the soundstage etc…well it works. With this and the phenomenal resolution from that fast transient characteristic makes these cans well…Uncanny!

I sent a note to HEDD about replacement earpads and they responed overnight and indicated yes there will be replacement earpads for sale. Pricing not known at this time.

So my beloved Clears have been topped by these respects, but that does not make them ho-hum…they still rank IMO as one of the best examples of a dynamic driver headphone. Its just the HEDD goes even farther with a totally new transducer as far as a realistic experience…

Going back and forth between the Focal Clears, the HEDD’s out resolve the Clears, but not by much. The Clears actually sound abit thin compared to the HEDDS, and the overall sound is abit more “clear” with the Clears. Its like the HEDDS actually have a slight warmth compared to the Focals , even though this is supposed to be a very neutral headphone. The HEDD soundstage is just nicer to me…a bit more open…just a bit wider to me. Both are excellent cans and both provide an excellent musical experience…It seems that the HEDD’s have to have more “emf” applied to sound as “clear” as the Clears are. I think this is a factor of efficiency…The Clears are so easily driven by most amps IMO and yes I know there are some amps out there specifically designed to drive Clears due to the mechanincal design and suspension of their transducers…

The question here is if you only could have one, which one would it be??? Gosh thats a tough question but IMO it would be …wait for it…the Clears. Yes. OMG how could that be with all the positives on the HEDDs? Well they cost less (if you get a good deal…and I did $999)…and they are easier to drive. Even though I like the HEDDs very much and will keep them, the Clears still shine even against the upper tier headphones. They are like a nice worn pair of shoes that fit well and do everything so very well. They are my taste.

So I still highly recommend the HEDDs. What they really bring to the table IMO is a wider, more open soundstage. Great for live performances. They deliver and uncanny (have I used this word before!) airiness…makes it like your in the room or on the stage hearing all the room reverbs, sounds bouncing off the walls etc. Like sticking your head into the recording studio and being there. The only negative thing is the weight and fit for some. I am really happy with my short experience so far…written during day two of owning them…

So dont be afraid of new technology, the HEDD’s are really a very special headphone that gets most things right…totally enjoy them. Another reason why I own more than one set of headphones!

Alex
:>)

19 Likes

Excellent write up, Alex!

I feel the same from my experience with the HEDDphone. A fantastic headphone indeed.

Unfortunately I’m one where the fit is an issue. I’m hoping they resolve this with the next iteration.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Yeah they are really different and good, but those Clears IMO are no slouch!!!

What really sticks out to me is their resolving power and that uncanny decay with instruments in a quiet room, strings, bass…very neat.

So they are not the perfect headphone, but for this type of tech they are right up there…

Alex

5 Likes

Jamie Cullum, Catching Tales, I have only eyes for you…

10/10 with these cans.

Bass is sooooo right!

While the treble etc is there clear and not interfered with etc…

Wonderful, very, very nice…

Alex

5 Likes

I have adjusted to the HEDDphones “comfort” somewhat since I got them (see my prior post in this thread). But two hours in a single session is still about the max I can stand. Two and a half on a really good day. They sound great, such that I am keeping them for now despite the comfort issue. But I still use my Stellia most of the time, since I can (and routinely do) wear those all day long while barely aware of them being physically on my head.

6 Likes

Ah the Stellias…an excellent headphone as well… my Focal Clears are in the same family and I feel the same way about the Hedds…I have listened for 2+ hours without any real issue…just cant put them down at the moment…the newness is still fresh here!!

I dont own the Stellias but might some day as well as a set of ZMF Veritas…

Enjoy the Hedds, its a new implementaion of the AMT driver and should stand the test of time just for that fact alone…

Alex

5 Likes

Super writeup Alex. I too am a lover of the Focal Clears but you’ve certainly piqued my interest in the HEDDphone. Although its always been on my wanted list. To be honest though everything is on my wanted list. Lol.

5 Likes

Excellent write up Alex @lost33

So glad you are enjoying these and the comfort is ok for you! :+1:

4 Likes

Ah!! I have the same problem! Ha!!

Alex

3 Likes

The Clears IMO are very, very special as well…they are clear’er than the HEDDS, hate to say that but they are…indeed.

But the HEDDs are clear in a different way…playing with words and not all words have the same meaning for all.

I guess the immediate difference between the two it like having certain freqs jacked up a few notches on the tone controls…

It seems the large AMT drivers at low volumes want more emf to make them play as clear as the clears.

When you crank these HEDDS up, voila they go into a whole different realm of sonic goodness. :>)

Find even with 42 ohms I use HIGH gain on most amps to get these to sparkle.

The spacing of the drivers from you ears is pretty much and this is adding to the nice imaging across the soundstage…some say not as wide as 800’s etc but its really pretty wide IMO…

The Focals are so focused and clear and bring that almost perfect tonality to the table, while the HEDDS are more etheral…gosh they are really nice in this respect, ALL the stuff in a recording comes across, the small details, the tone of the bass kick drum, really low 20+ Hz organ notes…vibrate your brain so good…better than the clears on the real low end for sure…

But better means a lot of different things to us all…there is always that buyers remorse for sure…but the key here for me is do they make me feel good each and everytime I put them on, these Hedds so far day 3 do! and so do the Clears!!

Good Morning from the USA! Happy Independance Day!! 4th of July

Update: After 3 hours non stop with the HEDDS this am. I put on the Clears and wow an immediate wheres the soundstage? Yup. I think the HEDDS have finally burnt into my brain as to what they bring to the table…this is indeed a crazy pastime…

7 Likes

Its amazing during my 3 hr marathon with the Hedds this am…i read most of this thread…and when Torq finally got around to posting his observations and experience, it was like I was reading my experience…even down to the hey a Schiit Magni 3 will work well these cans…

The only thing slightly different I think the soundstage is a bit wider than his diagram.

Alex

UPDATE:

One observation after putting on Clears after the HEDDS was…beside the more open soundstage of the HEDDS. Its like like its all there (details) with the Clears but you have to listen carefully to hear it all…where as the HEDDS its like its all out in the open…

Interesting…

7 Likes

Could anyone provide some information of HEDDphone vs Arya?
I currently have the HEDDphone (with TOPPING A90+D90) and I very much like it. I also have the Hifiman Edition X v2. The HEDDphone is better than that in every way - well maybe except the weight. The Edition X v2 (so the Arya as well since they have the same style) feels like it’s nothing on my head. I wouldn’t mind the added weight of the HEDD at all otherwise, but if I wear them for longer sessions, the headband creates an achy hotspot on top of my head, and then if I wear them a little longer the top of my head even starts to numb. I have to take them off for a few minutes, take a break and then repeat.
I had the same issue even with the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro. (That’s 380g, so to a lesser extent) I guess it’s a personal thing, maybe I have a weird head shape, I don’t know.

I never had the chance to try the Hifiman Arya and I wonder how they would compare. I can’t demo headphones in my region. I found some video/written reviews and comparisons online. As always they are good for a base idea if I ‘combine’ them all, but a final conclusion can’t be made when four people have three different opinions about the same thing. There are a lot of variables as well.
Nevertheless I would love to consume some more information if you have, before I make the decision.

5 Likes

I’m doing a video about that difference as we speak. But at the moment the main difference to my ear is that the Arya is a bit more withdrawn in the midrange proper, while the HEDDphone is a bit more emphasized between 600-100hz. It’s weird because I don’t hear it as forward here as measurements indicate (it shows a really strange looking anomaly in that area so it may have to do with seating or other issues, but you can see it in other measurements as well).

So the Arya may have a more even FR, but the HEDDphone is slightly more detailed to my ear in the treble region, and it also has better dynamics. In my mind, the HEDDphone does dynamics extremely well - and not ‘punchy’ in the same way the Focal Clear is punchy, but rather there’s a physicality to the HEDDphone for the entirety of its frequency response that I haven’t found anywhere else really. And so in my mind, the HEDDphone is kind of like an Arya, just with better dynamics.

10 Likes

Super! I look forward to seeing it. I am of the same opinion as you (well, not compared to the Arya) - detail all the way through, dynamics. I only miss some punch in the bass region, but it’s very minor - I really like the HEDD as it is. (*edit: It is very capable indeed if you add about +3db LowShelf)

It may not be the an audiophile track and is not for the nuance details, but I recently used the ‘LORN & DOLOR - ZERO BOUNCE’ (24-bit FLAC) track to test the low end among other things. [The beginning and then the part from 1:20]

2 Likes

Heyo! Finally registered an account! not a lurker anymore :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :grin:.

My take on the Heddphone is that it performs excellently for its price. I believe (at least from my own unit) that burning in is a thing on the hedd. After around 50-60hrs burn time i’m hearing all sorts of layering, imaging, width and deep bass that weren’t there before or not as weighty as prior to the burn in.

Background - I was out looking for a specific type of headphone that allowed me to still hear details in my music at very low volumes while playing other sounds at moderately loud volumes at the same time (playing games and watching youtube). I am far from being an audiophile or a pro in this av field but I do like good things and want my purchases to deliver what I needed from it at the very least. I’m a game a lot on the pc and that’s where I spend most of my time on if I’m not on netflix. After maxing everything on my computer last year my next thing was to upgrade my sound. I love to listen to music while gaming but I didn’t want the music to interfere at all with the gaming sounds. Playing the music low is a given, and playing it low whilst maintaining most if not all of the music detail becomes a priority. And so began my search… started with an hd660s runned balanced to a drop thx 789 for amp runner balanced to an iFi zen dac. It was a happy affair for about a month but still wasn’t satisfied with the 660s, so I looked into better headphones and was almost certain it would be between the arya, or the z1r, until I got a chance to demo the heddphone, which after 2 weeks of wait and used (balanced) for some days now that I’m posting my review on it—

(Please forgive any typos and misnomer used below. I am not used to explaining sound beyond my general wow, clean, good, phat, thin, flat, poor and messy)

From what I consider important features of a headphone, the Heddphone to me:

3D - The soundstage i hear is tall and wide meaning it goes up and to the sides more than it does to the front/back and to the bottom. Lateral side to side width, depth, layering and imaging are superb.
Front and rear is mehh i dont hear much (if any) sound coming from the front in any of my music, and the rear-ish sounds tend to sound very close around the back of your ears and just behind your earlobe type sound. To be fair, I could only hear sounds coming from directly behind the back of my head and directly in front of me in games. That could be just that way the music i listened to were mastered but :man_shrugging:t2:. In music, any rear sounds appears to be just behind my earlobe.
Top and bottom sounds are one sided favoring the top more than the bottom. I do hear all sorts of height up top. Its most magical with female voices it feels as though you could mentally see(?) their voice soar pass your height way way up then drop, fluttering like paper, twirl spins and loops reminiscing a sukhoi jet performing at an airshow. Sadly not much excitement can be heard past an inch below my earlobes (maybe if i have no earlobes blocking any incoming soundwaves, i would be able to hear sounds coming from the. bottom easier… maybe).

Separation - Amazing. Every instruments/voices have their own physical(audible?) space distinctly separated from one another and its really nice.

Detail - Unreal in good mastered tracks and unforgiving in poorly mastered ones. I’m hearing all sorts of random scratches and effects in some of my oldie but goldie songs that even the heddphone gets confused with as it doesnt know where to place it and just throws it aside to be projected at some random corner of my hearing space to further make obvious of its awkward existence (its quite a treat when it happens). But when the tracks are mastered properly, it is just amazing how this heddphone is able to reproduce sound. Metal, glass, leather, wood, wind, the heddphone seems like it manages to extract and retrieve every single audible frequencies vibrated by the actual instrument/thing imparting the sound energy and project those vibrations back exactly as is through the AMT drivers. No headphone sounded more real in this regard to me than anything else I’ve ever heard before minus hearing the actual instrument or thing live in person. It’s a detail monster

Treble - really good. It extends really well (caveat: my abused ears cant hear pass 18khz as well) and very good resolution along the frequencies.

Mids - good. It comes forward when it needs to, again very good resolution along the frequencies.

Bass - stellar after around 50hrs. This is the first headphones that have managed to resonate my flesh the same way my SVS woofer does on Eminem’s Go To Sleep track and that says a lot if you’re familiar with what the SVS does to your body on that track (in a sonically treated room of course). Bass goes very deep down effortlessly with speed and discipline with no blooming and interfering into the mids. I could physically feel the bass hits and drops on my heart on tracks mastered with those type of internal organ resonating frequencies its insane that this is all coming from a headphone! In short, the bass coming from the heddphone is that of an expensive and rich type of bass, not the cheap slappy type.

Comfort - Very comfy. The ear pads are like thick pillows, too bad that they weren’t upholstered with lambskin but they aren’t too bad but they could be better with lambskin.
The fit after adjusting it properly on your head and tilting the cups appropriately to your ears, the fit is really good. I got the 2nd revision one and I’m on the penultimate extension click on the cups adjustment (i wear a 7 7/8 size fitted cap so my head is far from small). I do have to reseat them every hour or so as my hair tend to shift its position on my head overtime (I’m still sporting the covid19 lockdown trim). The top of my head gets warm and uncomfortable over an hour of use, but sliding the top headband slightly forward or back immediately alleviates this discomfort. The weight is a bit much in the hand but not too bad on the head as long as you sit them properly on. I’ve gone through hours and hours without having any fatigue on my neck when I’m on the computer whether gaming or what not (I have the headrest attachment installed on my herman miller aeron and I’m the lazy type to always be leaning back with my head fully rested on the headrest as I’m using the computer so, the weight issue may not be an issue for me due to this).

Gaming and Music - playing at the same time with music at low volumes, the hedd does exactly what I needed it to. The surround sounds in the games is good whilst music maintained its details. Very much satisfied.

Quirks - It rattles I tend to bounce one heel up and down when I’m sitting at the computer (i have no idea how to explain this repetitive :leg: motion). Its a thing i involuntarily do whenever I’m seated and it annoys the wife immensely when we’re on the couch. Now this does not happen every single time i start to bounce my heel but, 50% of the times the hinge (the left side) will always rattle against the housing of the headband making that clinking clanking metal in metal sound which is very annoying. I guess its a matter of training myself to stop doing it but for i prefer my things to adapt to me rather than me adapting to it, if only the there wasn’t any excess space in around that hinge or the tolerance wasn’t too loose it wouldn’t have been an issue.
It squeaks again the hinges, metal on metal friction = bad. It could be silenced with proper lubricants I suppose but, not going to go through that hassle yet.

Extras - This heddphone is very very Disciplined. Some years ago I’ve built a decent 7.2 system for my home cinema room in the house which I also use to enjoy to my music and what I’ve learnt through that experience was that a good system with decent room acoustic treatment would allow normal conversations to be have without the need to scream or shout even at when blasting at 0db on the avr. The sound from the speakers (as long as there’s no or not much vocals) do not bleed and cause any harmonics to interfere with frequencies in which you speak. Now, I’ve only experienced that with my home cinema rig, in some clubs and audition rooms in audio shops. I experienced it again with the Heddphone. I was listening to my songs when my 7yr old son entered the room and started talking to me about his fortnite. I heard him clearly, at first I thought maybe he spoke during the quite parts of the track, I answered him and he continued talking, all throughout the loud and soft parts of the songs I heard him clearly. I put on my 660s, matched the volume and all I could hear from him are murmurs that I had to take a side of the 660s off to understand what he was saying. I never thought the 660s to be noisy; wait, correction, I never thought a headphone being so close to your ears could be so clean and precise that it would allow you to still have normal conversation with people even at high volume…

Limitations - that would be me and what I have. I am only running the heddphone of a 789 and a cheap iFi zen dac. I have experience in real speakers, subs and high end car audio but have very little and most probably dated knowledge on headphones. But, because how goodI perceived the hedd performs despite my limitations, I have set a goal (based heavily on @Torq ‘s and @TylersEclectic ‘s much appreciated reviews and comments) to upgrade my system to an rme adi-2 dac (arriving tomorrow), and phonitor amp. Im still undecided on which phonitor to go with either the x or the xe as both offers different convenience over the other smh.

Images? Here’s my 16.5lbs headphone stand! Big Stand for Big Can?? :rofl:

19 Likes

nice Optimus!!! also the heddphones aren’t bad either :wink:

1 Like

Great writeup @callmevil and welcome to the forum.

1 Like

No they’re not bad at all. Enjoying 80s korean ballads by Lee Moon Sae now, so glad they made it on to tidal… so good…

2 Likes

And thanks! Its the Lewin-01 Optimus, it can transform to his truck form with some effort but he looks awkward without his trailer in truck form.

1 Like

Interestong comment of the squeaks?

Mine are around 20 hours or so and I have not heard any squeaks of any mechanical noises when I mover around or shake my head rather strongly…

Mine are all the way in, not using any extensions at all.

Wonderful cans for all kinds on music…

Congrats on yours!
Alex

2 Likes