HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

Wow, so many combinations over the years, with cans, music, cables, amps and dacs…and throw in my “ears”, moods and tastes in music. But this am listening to piano of Keiko Matsui’s “Dreamwalk” Album and “Flower” its indeed as good as it gets with this tech IMO. I feel as strongly as many do about their stuff…based on what my old ears have heard over the past years…this is really, really good.

If I want to hear what a real piano sounds like its the HEDDS + HPA1 + B2. Hands down. Period. Over + Out …for me!! IMO YMMV

Time for more coffee!!!

Alex

8 Likes

Coffee and tunes is the freaking best. Enjoy man. I go on many adventures like that.

2 Likes

I have just replaced the dac/amp stack I was using (modi/valhalla 2) tube to a solid state Topping D90/A90 stack and it completely changes the sound of the heddphone - the soundstage becomes massive and the bass tightens, every song is like listening live, even studio recordings - revealing every detail - highly recommend if anyone else is thinking about using the same stack with these.

3 Likes

Decided to buy a balanced cable (Audeze) - I know some say the polarity is reversed but sounds great to me - here is a link - can use the headphones on medium gain instead of high on the A90 using the xlr output

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve recently gotten my hands on the HEDDphone, and I need to purchase an amp for it. I have zero understanding of amps or how much power the HEDDphone needs… What are your opinions of iFi Micro iDSD Signature vs SPL Phonitor One D vs Schiit Magni/Modi for that purpose? Or are none of those ideal for the HEDDphone? I need something that’s under $1,000. I appreciate any guidance.
Thank you very much.

2 Likes

The HEDDphone needs a lot of power …
I use the monolith THX 887 with 2x6W at 42ohms => which is perfect to my ears…

I couldn’t find any portable solution with enough instant juice to give the same deep, fast, powerful impacts the Heddphone is able to deliver while keeping crystal clear hiss free high frequencies.

So power really matters with the Heddphones. For sure over 2x2W give some guarantee to listen fully to some DSD or Hires flacs even if the recorded level is low.

I strongly believe that a Schiit Jotunheim 2 will work fine with the HEDDphone.
Even if you drop in it a Multibit card it will be far under one grand.
https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim-3

1 Like

This is my first post here, but I’ve been lurking for a long time: I really enjoy the HEDD with a Burson Conductor 3XP. It’s a very nice match, plenty of dynamics and refinement, never boring and always engaging. I used to own a RME ADI-2, but despite being a good DAC, the headphone amplifier wasn’t a nice match with the HEDDphones.

5 Likes

Any experience with Niimbus headphone amps, with or without the HEDDphones? They have a new one coming out (pricey). Seems to have lots of power. I’m not familiar with this brand.

Thank you all for the comments on my question about a HEDDphone amp. I should add that I also need a DAC along with an amp for my HEDDphone. Under $1,000, do you all recommend two separate units in that case, or is there a two-in-one that works great? Within the price range, I’d like the highest quality possible, whether that be with one or two boxes.
Thank you for your help.

1 Like

MY SHORT HEDDPHONE REVIEW:

I’ve been listening to the HEDDphone for 4 days now, a little each day. As someone else pointed out, Andrew (@Resolve) nailed it when he said everything has a “physicality.”
I’m a musician, and I consider myself a fairly intensive and informed listener. I’ve owned multiple pairs of high-end monitors. I’ve spent many, many hours working with speakers costing $10,000. I’m attuned to quality; and the HEDDphone is unlike any other listening experience I’ve had.
I’ve heard people claim a particular pair of headphones or monitors put them “in the room,” but I didn’t know anything like this could exist. I’d compare it to virtual reality – I was recently exposed to the Oculus Quest, and the HEDDphone lends a similar effect. It’s as if I’m stepping into the world of the recording. I’m not listening to engineered audio. I’m not hearing frequencies or music. I’m not even listening to sounds. Rather, I’m listening to objects that are making sounds.
I can almost visualize the height, width, and depth of every vibrating string and every explosive wind instrument – including the human voice.
I really wouldn’t call it music listening. It’s something else.
I’m drawing these conclusions from indulging in acoustic, orchestral, and big band recordings, more than from – for example – a death metal record. But that isn’t to say pop and rock don’t sound phenomenal. They do.
I’ve seen a few people online indicate they weren’t overly knocked out by the HEDDphone. I’m curious to know what recordings they were using. But ultimately, I have to deduce they just weren’t listening deeply enough.
For anyone whose ears can truly go deep, I think it’s likely they’ll find more than they’ve dreamed possible from anything reproducing sound.

11 Likes

Nice review! Glad you went with these over the LCD-X? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thank you. I still have the LCD-X at the moment, too. I think they sound great, and more like conventional-music-listening great.

2 Likes

Great review. Inspires me to listen to mine this weekend!

1 Like

I’m one of those who wasn’t blown away by the HEDDphone but I’d chalk that up to a few things: a brief audition at CanJam, which was an awful listening environment, listening through an unfamiliar chain (out of a Chord TT2, I think?), and, most importantly, listening to unfamiliar music. I’m grateful for impressions like yours, and others above in this thread, as I’d be keen to go back and try the HEDDphone again.

1 Like

The first time I listened, I was just trying to adjust to the differences compared to the LCD-X.
As I’ve settled in, I’ve found that I can hear more deeply. I select a recording, I close my eyes, and it’s as if I mentally step into the aural world manifested by the HEDDphone.
And as the music plays, I start to move around in that world and find the shapes and sizes therein.
But I can easily imagine that listening at a table amid a convention might be underwhelming.
To some degree, as I adjust, I’m learning HOW to listen within the HEDDsphere. It’s a bit like learning to see a 3D image by focusing your eyes properly.
These aren’t headphones, in my opinion, to listen to at your desk while working. If you’re not giving them all of your willingness and attention, you’re defeating the purpose of putting them on your head. You’d be better off, in that case, with something lighter and more comfortable and more normal like the great Focal Clear.
To me, the HEDDphone is what you employ when you’re going to turn off the lights, lie down, and let something miraculous transport you to a place only it can create.

3 Likes

Great writeup @headphones. Your enthusiasm for the HEDDphone truly shines through in your description. A really enjoyable read. Thanks.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts, exactly what I tried to capture on my review of the HEDDphones on the other site. These are taking the listener on stage with the musicians and deserve an active listening. They are also heavy and not the most comfortable out there, so I’m only using them when I’m in the mood for listening, not to ‘keep company’.
Speaking of recording, I honestly haven’t found anything that doesn’t sound at least decent, these headphones are not screaming at you anyway, they are always polite in their presentation, although with rich and even saturated colours. Bear in mind I only listen to classical
But some recordings are simply stunning…here are mine

7 Likes

Thank you very much.

Thank you for posting your list. I’ll check them out.