HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

Hey @lost33, I own the Clears and have recently been looking for a good all-around non-dynamic headphone to add. I’ve demoed the LCD-X and XC (enjoyable after significant EQ e.g. with Sonarworks, though their tonality is much more variable to my ears across different genres than the Clear) and HiFiMan Arya (good overall tone and balance, but uncomfortable on my jaw with the extended cups and iffy on the build quality front). Do you have any specific thoughts comparing the HEDDphone to any/all of those others (including the Clears)?

If it helps, I routinely listen across a wide range of genres (classical/folk/metal/hardcore/punk/ska/a capella) and value some amount of bass w/ good clarity (e.g. what I feel the Clears excel at).

3 Likes

Hello!

I am not an EQ guy…dont like to muck with the sound that a headphone was built to reproduce.

This is just me…many love to muck with the “bits”…

I had LCD 2.2’s here a few yrs back…too dark for my taste…and never eq’d
them.

So I cant comment about the HEDDS with these planars you mention. (I did audition a set of Anadas once and didnt like them much an didnt like the build quality).

I do have a set of planars they are the MEZE Emperyeans which I like very much and I go back and forth with the HEDDS, EMPYS and Clears…all good IMO but very different for sure.

The Clears are very articulate IMO and their overall tonality is one of the best. Period.

WIth the HEDDS the immediate difference (not going to bloviate about the weight etc)…is the HEDDS wider soundstage. Going back to the Clears its like the soundstage just collapses…some call this more intimate…well IMO its just smaller…and less 3 dimensional where the HEDDS have a very wide soundstage and a slightly bigger front to back top to bottom etc.

The Clears are to me! Much more easy to drive…work well on most any decent amp.

The HEDDS for me need a good kick in the pants…Schiit Jotenheim 2, the one just released is awesome with the HEDDS. High Gain/Balanced.

The HEDDS i would choose over most any planar. Its that good to me.

The “polorizing” Empys are the exception to this for me because of their special attributes which some love and some not so much love…

Alex

5 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful response Alex. While I definitely respect your decision not to EQ (it’s amazing to find a headphone that just works perfectly right off the bat), to my way of thinking EQing a headphone is like buying an expensive office chair: since no one can build a chair that fits everyone perfectly out of the box, it has all these knobs to adjust it to one’s own preferences. All of our ears/brains have somewhat different tunings, so although I would definitely prefer a headphone that sounds amazing without modification, I don’t see EQing as inherently problematic.

Your comments about choosing the HEDD over almost any planar are TEMPTING ME. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

glarue,

I totally get it and understand…being an old fart and a purist at heart…I want to first listen to the
“beast” first…then i can eq, change pads, cables, amps, dacs etc…to my hearts content.

I just dont do this much at all…the eq part that is and cables too.)

Eq’ing IMO is not problematic for those that really know and understand what they are doing and the ramifications.

We all hear differently for sure.

The important part is to enjoy the music the way you want to …

Hope u get to try the HEDDS…a very special headphone for sure.

Merry Christmas!
Alex

5 Likes

Hi, @glarue. I have had the luxury of comparing the headphones you mentioned for some time, not including the LCD-XC. I would concur with @lost33 on his description. A true comparison would be a massive post, so I’ll try to be as brief as I can. I should note that my use case is for mixing and mastering, which influences my perspective.

To begin with, I would describe the Clears as having that familiar dynamic driver sound we’ve all grown up with, plus that added clarity and shine on the top end of the spectrum. I found the lows to be admirable, although perhaps not as strong in its extension. The width, I’d say, is just shy of what a 90° speaker array would present.

The planars you mentioned, as I’m sure you had found, are quite a different flavor.

The LCD-Xs have that giant bouncy ball thump to them with great extension. With quite a bit of EQ’ing, they really come alive. The problem I had in my use-case for them, however, is that it is precisely that aggressive EQ’ing that can create some issues at the crossover points, making for a slightly unruly presence and top end (the MX4s I am trying out now are smoother in that regard, fwiw). But, they have great forward throw at its furthest width points, unusually large image size, and are just a lot of fun during fast, hard, and complex rhythmic passages. The width is almost a dead on equivalent of a 90° speaker array.

I found that my face, amongst its other drawbacks, is completely the wrong shape for the Aryas. And while they didn’t have as much percussive value, I did find them to be beautiful, with an incredibly wide and spacious width, and an incredible forward throw at its furthest width points. Of the HPs I compared, it was the best at listening to a solo instrument recorded in a gorgeous room. The bite of the bow of a cello, I found, seemed to have as much to do with its tuning as its resolving capability.

The HEDDs are all about detail. So much so, that, as @Resolve put it best, it has a ‘physicality throughout the entire frequency spectrum’. I, personally, find these to have the most detail of the HPs we’re talking about. None of them are slouches, but these best them by at least a hair. The bite of strings is there by texture, as opposed to a frequency bump. And while they don’t really need eq, they take to them very well, a touch of it brings out some of the characteristics mentioned with the other HPs, but always stemming from its detail physicality. I can replicate the LCD thump to a small degree, but these are more about texture rather than structure, so I find them to be much more contained than unruly or wild. They are brilliant with fast percussive passages, and make dialing in compression times, transient designing, and volume automation much more reliable. The width is tremendous, but no real forward throw at the widths edges. Early reflections are another thing these excel at representing, as do the Aryas and LCD-Xs, its just in a more directionally linear fashion. The headband is a total bummer, however, as it shares a similar approach as the Clears, but have a much heavier lift to try to accomplish. After trying them with a suspension strap, however, weight and hotspots became a non issue, even after my 16 hour mix days.

I find them to be the most useful for my use case of the bunch, although I do miss the fun of the LCD bounce. While the LCD- MX4’s I have now are performing well, my choice would still be the HEDDphones for mixing.
There are more resolving headphones, evidently, but, of course, at a greater expense, which is the only reason why I’ll move on from these. I pulled the trigger on a pair of Ironwood Verites, and still to consider are the LCD-4, the Rad-0s, the yadada, yadada, yadada….

7 Likes

Photography is definitely not my thing. But, here’s a family shot.

17 Likes

Hey @Quantum, really great thoughts—thanks!

I tried the LCD-X for a few days and liked them a lot after EQing—A/Bing them thereafter with the (non-EQ’d) Arya, I thought they were surprisingly close, although I did think the Arya had slightly better tonal balance across most frequencies but with slightly less detail.

I’ve been demoing the LCD-XC for the last few days, and to my memory they maintain most of the good qualities of the LCD-X with the benefits of being closed (closed is not absolutely necessary, but I consider it a bonus since I have the Clear as a good open option). They are definitely heavy, but I haven’t had any issues so far (which is why I’m even considering the HEDD). My hesitancy on keeping them mostly has to do with occasional weirdness in their representation of certain songs—I haven’t quite figured out what the shared feature is, but they end up sounding hollow or scooped out on certain tracks that I’m very familiar with in a way the Clears seem to somehow avoid (which is to say, the Clears are more consistent across varied genres/recordings).

You mention issues with the HEDD headband—usually, when I get discomfort from a headband it’s at the top, and the HEDD has that gap at the peak to address that issue; I take it you find it insufficient? You also mention a suspension strap—was this your own DIY mod, or did you purchase from somewhere?

Finally, I’m curious what you think about the HEDD as a non-mixing HP (versus the others in your lineup, for example, and/or any closed-back planars you might have experience with). In a past life I did quite a bit of at-home recording/mixing, but I have a toddler now and am in grad school so…I think any return to my mixing days is far, far ahead of me at this point, which means I’m prioritizing balance and clarity in the service of enjoyment rather than absolute neutrality and clinical detail for mastering.

4 Likes

Ah, well, we probably don’t want to fall down the rabbit hole of the “what is neutrality” debate, but I’d say that the tuning is certainly enjoyable. It’s definitely not shooting for anything unusual or aggressive. I’d say the detail lends itself for close examinations of recordings and mixes, and even mastering changes if you so choose to “look”. I have some lifetime favorite albums that have multiple remasters on Ultra HD that I enjoy listening to and comparing. None of that is at the sacrifice of getting lost in the music itself. In fact, reading some of the reactions on the pro audio forums leads me to conclude that many people had unrealistic expectations as to the degree and nature of detail retrieval.

3 Likes

I concur about the subjectivity of basically all of these terms—if there’s one thing that I’ve found bemusing in my more recent browsing of “audiophile” forums, it’s how certain everyone is that their subjective measurements/impressions are objective and/or universally applicable. I also agree that trying to define “neutral” is a fraught exercise; I used the term only to emphasize the difference in application between listening for general enjoyment vs. mastering/mixing with the goal of producing some sort of professional output (where “neutrality” at least has some sort of applied rationale).

It’s one reason I find direct comparisons between headphones more helpful (although not without their own problems), because at least with those, the qualities of a given HP can be compared to a specific reference (again, caveats abound), which at least reduces the number of confounding variables.

6 Likes

You know what. This collection truly represents that EQ’ing is not the bees knees. Owning multiple headphones is important and I used to think I was crazy for wanting the Focal Stellia even though I already own the LCD XC and the HD 800 C’s.
Great shot. Great collection and necessary I feel now been in this hobby for 13 years. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If your looking for a more powerful amp , I can tell you that the Hedd phones play well with the ifi Micro idsd BL at the 12 oclock area in turbo mode… then you might consider the new ifi Diablo… that amp is the same size as the Micro idsd BL but is way more powerful, has true balanced outputs and supports a full MQA “decoder” vs renderer… it sounds fantastic…

5 Likes

For the first time am no longer listening to music, but rather am now experiencing music. A snap of my endgame setup, i have joined the RME-ADI-2, Phonitor X, HeddPhone chain

15 Likes

Beautiful setup. Those Heddphones look huge. Lol

2 Likes

Yeah agreed with @prfallon69 , that’s a phenomenal setup! Plus, hard to go wrong with VU meters :wink: . d

3 Likes

Love your setup and especially those Heddphones! I like mine as well and are one of my favorites!

Enjoy!
Alex

2 Likes

:anguished:Chain buddy… :star_struck:heyy! I have the same chain as you! Niceee haha :joy:

I set a +4 40hz bass shelf on the adi2dac and vary up to +1.5 bass boost with the remote for different tracks. What’s your setting?

I finally found a way to be more or less free to move in my home to listen to music where I want with the HEDDphone on my head.
I can’t get exactly the fast kicks I get with a 2x6W of a THX887 amp, but with 2x1.4W I already reach a fairly nice result that is a bit better than what I get with the Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas or Z7M2.
It seems that none of the batteries on the market will be able to give instant peak power like a Desktop Amp. As I am missing quickly what the HEDDphone can do in low and ultra frequencies in fast, clear and deep impacts, the Centrance M8V2 with 2x1.4W sustain power and supposed 20V peak voltage, is on the right way and is the best way I could find till now as portable in my home…
I imagine, the iFi diablo could probably do the job too, But a proper BT receiver connection is lacking, which gives less freedom or need to stick a smartphone or DAP with USB connection when I move.

I would say, it is not as impactful as my little THX887 amp, but it is really near of what I use in my office sometimes when I bring my HEDDphone connected directly to an old Sony TAN 55ES speaker amp.

I thought, I could find a way to be free with an A&K KannAlpha … but definitely this item is unusable for streaming features as the DLNA/QObuz features get in standby mode every 15 minutes, and it has no BT5.0 LDAC input too. So connectivity is absolutely horrific (I will never trust a company like Astell and Kern anymore). I bought 2 Kann Alpha as they A&K suppose the first one I bought in China was a modified item and the Wifi issues won’t happen with international version. So I bought a french one to an official A&K french dealer => strictly no change in Wifi issues, nor in Sound distortion at High level of demanding power (12V)

So I think, for the HEDDphone, there is no way to really reach a proper dedicated Headphone amp quality with any portable solution on the market.
It seems it’s due to batteries physical limitations when a large instant power delivery (Current) is needed, but, at least, I could find a rather very good portable DAC/AMP powerful enough to move nicely the HEDDphone which is not really far from the best situation.

Cayin already discourage me to buy the brand new portable amp C9 as they told me it won’t be able to drive properly any difficult headphones with less than 90db sensitivity or more than 300Ohms (for those batteries restrictions in instant power delivery).

6 Likes

Lately I have sold a bunch of stuff, amps and headphones and have kept the Hedds, Clears, Empys, and hd650’s.

Rotating thru all my amps, the Hedds work astonishingly well with the PassLabs HPA-1. Its only spec’d at a mere 3.5 watts. But it does have what it takes to drive the HEDDs very well IMO.

Hedds were not designed with portability in mind, thats a given! LOL

5 Likes

Of course not going outside :rofl:… even, I don’t imagine taking the HEDDphone on holidays somewhere.

But to be free inside my own home, I love to listen to music in various places or even in my garden in the evening late spring or summer…
Luckily I don’t feel any pain with this heavy Headphones, so as soon as I can use them, they are number one of the pleasure level for nearly one year now.

4 Likes

Anyone in EU looking for a pair of Heddphone?
Decided to part aways with mine, cash is tight and I barely used them, more into speakers and in ears.