Hifiman Ananda Open-Back Planar Magnetic Headphones - Official Thread

Yes, it can be a rabbit hole but I normally get to the most pleasant setup to my ear and stop right there :smiley:. Itā€™s normally the Harman target with minor adjustments to compensate for different source.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not fan of bass but increasing 100hz from eq apo 15 band graphic eq adds so beautiful ā€˜ā€˜planar slamā€™ā€™. I feel like this headphone already has a lot of sub bass but lacks a bit impact. Increasing 100hz give very nice impact and increasing 63hz fills the impact. I feel like anything below adds a bit too much mud. Default sub bass is more than sufficient. What do you think ?

First time diving in to equalizer this much. I really like this headphone a lot.

This beautiful performance helping me adjusting bass and maintaining fine detail. This also can help with the treble adjustment for gaining a bit more impact without introducing ŞŞŞ sound.

Iā€™m still not sure about the upper mid dip. It shows in measurements but some say concha gain compensates that.

1 Like

I tried the EQ APO graphic EQ but never got deep into it then I switched to Peace add-on for EQ APO. This is what my EQ adjustment for Ananda looks like:

Pardon the messy frequency arrangements :sweat_smile:

In a way, itā€™s very similar to what you did with the low end frequencies just with the addition of low shelf filter to smooth out the transition. I recommend trying this add-on. One of the main reason for me to switch to this add-on is its ability to activate any EQ setting with a push of a button (through a device like stream deck) making the switch between no EQ to EQ for any headphone in my collection a breeze. If you donā€™t have a device like Stream Deck, you can also simply create a link/shortcut on your desktop for easy activation. All shortcuts to the EQs are done within the add-on with a simple operation too.

5 Likes

I was using Peace but i like eq apo alone. Uninstalled the Peace recently. It also increasing the volume at default settings i donā€™t know why. Pre amp 0 is like +10 db with Peace. What i like about eq apo graphic eq is that when you line up 2 eq band it draw flat line between them so it acts like low shelf filter not like 2 disconnected mountain peaks.

This is similiar eq to what i plan. I like a bit less bass but definitely more high bass since Ananda slam really benefits a lot. +3 db from 0 to 100 and it slowly drops to 0 db until 160hz.

-1 or -2 db between 200hz-1000hz. Playing with it using multiple songs. Currently not sure about the upper mid dip. Testing it to see i like it or not. My Ananda is new so iā€™m still adapting to itā€™s default tonality.

3 Likes

Greetings,
My headphones are Hifiman Ananda and I use the stock cable. I am wondering if anyone in the community can recommend an aftermarket headphone cable that they found matched and made a great improvement?
I love the spacial experience and transparency I have now but wonder if a different cable might offer some further texture to the sound. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
I stream through Roon; Innous Zen 3; Mytek Brooklyn Dac+

I am also interested in a tube h/p amplifier. Anyone using a Woo Audio WA22 ? Any other suggestions?
Thank you,

2 Likes

I use Periapt cablesā€¦ another good option is Hart Audio Cables =) but there are a lot of cable makers that do exceptional work, such as Forza and many othersā€¦Iā€™ll let others add their suggestionsā€¦

2 Likes

Are they really improving the sound ?

2 Likes

Thank you @TylersEclectic
I have looked at some cable makers and know they do great work.
So, Iā€™m really after a cable that has a reputation for revealing instrumental texture.
eg. the articulation of the stringed instruments - the pull of the string. A cello sounding like a ā€˜celloā€™ and not a violin sounding a couple of octaves lower. The woodness texture of a baroque recorder.

Can cables do this?
Thx so much,

ummā€¦ I am not sure a cable can do thatā€¦ or at least in my experience I have not had a cable that has done such audible changesā€¦ you would be better served, focusing on headphones, then amps, and finally DACs for the biggest changes in audio changesā€¦ Tube amp might bring some of these for youā€¦ I know there are cable makers that claim these things to some degree and charge quite a bit for thisā€¦ but once again I donā€™t have any experience with those companies nor have I experienced a cable to make any significant change to audio quality in my audio journey so far ā€¦

10 Likes

In my experience, cable can change the sound. Whether itā€™s an improvement or not is for you personally to decide. This is assuming the context of comparing decent cables from one material to another. Not a super crappy cable vs a good one. Just have to put the context in there because assuming everyone on the same page can get me in trouble these days :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

To be fair I think the resistance/conductivity of the material can have changes to the audio, but to change the sound of strings and resonance of a wood instrumentā€¦ that Iā€™ve not personally experienced nor heard someone that hasā€¦ but Iā€™m only one person that hasnā€™t experienced it. Iā€™m not saying it isnā€™t possibleā€¦ just from my limited experience it seems improbable.

9 Likes

I agree. I think youā€™re falling down the wrong rabbit hole here @audionut.

6 Likes

Hey @audionut and fellow Ananda owner! I would have to agree with @TylersEclectic and @ProfFalkin about the cables probably not delivering what you are searching for. As an Ananda owner I can tell you some things that might get you closer to what you are looking for from my experience. The Anandaā€™s can sound really great with some solid state amps depending on the DAC they are paired with as well as the recording. From my time with them I tend to like them on tube Hybrids or a little warmer solid state amp vs. super analytical amps for pure music enjoyment. Once again this can differ some depending on the recording. I have heard the Mytek is a excellent streamer but the Internal Headphone Amp/Dac isnā€™t as enjoyable sounding as some other options. I donā€™t have personal experience with it however so take that with a grain of salt. What other amps/dacs have you tried them with other than the ones you listed?

7 Likes

From what I have learned from reading about Tube Amps (I donā€™t actually own one) they might offer what youā€™re looking for. I would look into them. I donā€™t think investing in expensive cables will give you what you desire. I like fancy cables as much as most but if your looking for meaningful changes in sound itā€™s hard to get past it just being Placebo. Iā€™m a big fan of Placebo too. Its given me some of my greatest listening sessions. Good luck.

5 Likes

Thank you for all the comments.
Has anyone experience with the Woo WA2 or WA22 tube amps?
The WA22 is balanced versus the WA2 unbalanced.
Thx,

2 Likes

Donā€™t know about sound quality but Ananda have the weirdest stock cable iā€™ve ever seen. I never understood people criticizing cables and buying expensive aftermarket ones but Ananda made me understand that lol. However itā€™s still not the end of the world. Itā€™s just not convenient.

3 Likes

Hello @sunzon
Thank you. Can you explain what you mean by ā€œnot convenientā€. Why is the stock cable ā€œweirdā€?
It does feel a little strange, I guess :laughing:

1 Like

My factory HiFiMan HE-560 cables were as stiff as boards. It took days and days for them to uncoil, and took a fixed curl easily.

1 Like

Weird because they look like hospital tubes lol aside from that not convenient because heavy and stiff. I mean you always feel and worry about them. They do not disappear while using the headphone.

2 Likes

I have some silver cables (S3) and they sound absolutely the same as a copper cable (BlackWidow from ToxicCables).

2 Likes