HiFiMan Susvara Over-Ear Planar Headphone - Official Thread

Ewwww.

Oh, I mean, cool pic bro! :+1:t3:

1 Like

@Inkey31 I think they are excellent headphones that I wouldnā€™t buy lolā€¦ The HPA4 powers them easilyā€¦ I might prefer the TT2 sound more though.

@driftingbunnies LIES!!!

@ProfFalkin we are still good ha :wink:

4 Likes

@TylersEclectic do you have the M-Scaler as well? Would definitely recommend giving it a whirl with those cans.

1 Like

They are REALLY picky with amps.
They donā€™t generally sound bad on anything, but their party trick to me is the low volume dynamics.
That and some of the detail retrieval were really limited on all but 2 of my amps.
On the DNA Stratus for example they donā€™t sound bad, they get plenty loud enough, but after hearing them on my OG Cavalli Liquid Gold or the Woo WA33 I bought specifically for them, they sound constrained by comparison.

4 Likes

I do not have an Mscalerā€¦ one day :wink: but right now most of my funds for toys is going towards camera gearā€¦

2 Likes

Just try out an eval version of HQPlayer with Sinc-M filter to get a comparable effect.

1 Like

Any thoughts on the new version of the liquid gold with the susvara? Also there is an article that says that the new idsd diablo works well with them for a transportable setup, but Iā€™m wondering if thatā€™s just marketing :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Havenā€™t heard one, and I could be wrong but I wouldnā€™t expect a lot from it.
To be clear I think the Monoprice Liquid Platinum, that I did own, was an excellent value, and Iā€™m sure the Monoprice LiquidGold+ is a really nice amp for the money.
But while it has the same topolgy, itā€™s less powerful, and the original is in a box thatā€™s at least 8x the size, has a much larger linear PSU in the box and heats that box hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch.

I think a lot of why people like speaker amps on the Susvara is the headroom not in the amp per-se, (1 W will get it loud) but in the power supplies ability to respond to changing current demands.

I actually picked up my Original Liquid Gold when looking for a Used Bakoon 13R, I just missed one listed on USAudioMart when the Liquid Gold was listed.

I avoided buying a Susvara until I had an amp that I knew would power it well, and I ended up buying another one after I purchased it.
If your going to spend 3K+ used on a headphone, you should really IMO be looking at electronics in the same price range.
For point of reference I run mine
Aqual LaVoce S3 ā†’ (Cavalli Liquid Gold | Woo WA33) ā†’ Susvara

Other amps I considered when I picked up the Woo, Tarafomatic Primavera, Viva Egoista 845, integrated amps by the same companies.
Iā€™d have picked up whatever turned up first at the right price.

1 Like

the bakoon is a fantastic pairing with the susvara and pretty much anythingā€¦amazing amp given the tiny footprint

I actually have a few speaker amps at home (Naim Uniti, Peachtree Nova 300, Hegel H160) that I will try with the susvara that I just ordered :smile: also a Fiio M15 dap that can output about 1w for my IEMS. I travel more that half of the year so Iā€™m looking for something transportable to use while Iā€™m on the road. I have convinced myself that getting a susvara with a transportable amp is better than getting any other headphone that can be powered more efficiently with my dap, I might be wrong but I was just so underwhelmed by the Empyreanā€™s I got a couple of months ago.

I feel like Iā€™m looking for the holy grail, a ā€œpowerfulā€ dac/amp combo that weighs less than 10 lbs to use when Iā€™m staying in hotels for months at a time.

2 Likes

As a point of reference, If I were limite to the DNA Stratus (an ~3W amp) as my only amp, iā€™d rather have the D8KPro than the Susvara.
There is a huge hit if you do not amplify them properly.
They donā€™t sound bad, but they can be quite underwhelming.

The A90 or Liquid X should do OK, my theory is that when the Susvaraā€™s came out amps were around 2W to 1W at 32Ohm, now amps are pushing 12W at 16ohm or 4.8W at 50Ohm.

The HPA4 from Benchmark does 3W at 32Ohm. Amps now do more then that, and that was the AMP Hifiman recommended, so I heardā€¦ donā€™t quote me on that.

However, I would bet an amp that can do 5.8W at 50Ohmā€™s like the IFi pro would be great with the Susvara, thinking about trying that amp out.

Unless I am missing something, could be, still a noob at AMPs.

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s about raw power.

1 Like

Do you like the WA33 or Liquid Gold more with Susvara? What volume position are you on with both, around 12 oā€™clock? I used to have a Liquid Gold but only used it with Utopia and LCD4, didnā€™t have Susvara back then. It is a really great headphone amp.

Both are good.
Iā€™m a sucker for tubes, and the DNA was sounding strained with the Susvara which is why I picked up the WA33.
Iā€™m running stock tubes in the WA33 right now, with the addition of an NOS RCA rectifier, which makes it a bit quicker and provides a more focused stage.
If I could keep one, it would probably be the WA33, more convincing stage, possibly a bit harsher treble (though I think that could be addressed with tubes), but I do love the liquid gold.
I run both around 9:00 on high gain, though it Depends a bit on the recording, as low as 8, or as high as 11.

2 Likes

all of these amps have more than ample powerā€¦it is about way more than just powerā€¦I have used numerous amps with the susvaraā€¦the formula s/powerman while only 6 watts/16 ohms is wonderful with itā€¦better than far more powerful wells amps IMHOā€¦the ifi ican is pretty good but the bakoon 13r which is 25/8 I think does 4 watts into the susvara and is the very best I have heardā€¦once you get to the amount of power needed it then becomes a question of all the nuances of the different amps

1 Like

Has anyone tried listening to their Susvaraā€™s with the Focal Arche? I understand that this would be far from ideal but was wondering if it would sound decent at moderate volumes.

Eventually Iā€™ll get a proper amp (lots of great recommendations in this forum) but the Arche will have to do for now.

I know you donā€™t want to hear this, but I would be in the get different headphone if you canā€™t drive them properly camp.
Theyā€™ll probably sound fine, but you will very likely be disappointed.
As Iā€™ve said previously, if I only had my DNA amp, Iā€™d take the D8000Pro and probably several other headphones over a Susvara, you just donā€™t get what makes them special.

2 Likes

No worries Polygon, I appreciate the response and suggestions. I was more curious about how far from ideal the Susvara would sound with the Arche. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll love the Susvara and Iā€™d be happy to even reach 70% of itā€™s potential with my current gear. I guess Iā€™m in the ā€˜donā€™t bother with stepping stone headphones if you know youā€™re eventually going to get X headphoneā€™ camp.

My plan is to get the Susvara, SR1a and JotR this year and take my time finding the perfect amp for the Susvara. Iā€™ve done something similar long ago when I purchased the Sennheiser HD650 without having an amp that drove them to their full potential. I still enjoyed them for years driven by a meager 20mW (Fiio e17 Alpen) before finding amps that really woke them up.

Btw I purchased the Focal Stellia/Arche last year based primarily on this forumā€™s excellent reviews (especially Torqā€™s written review and Resolveā€™s YT review) and many key people here have gained my respect and trust which is why Iā€™m confident Iā€™ll really like the Susvaraā€™s. My only regret with the Stellia/Arche is I didnā€™t buy them from here!

1 Like

As long as your expectations are appropriate, the Susvara is certainly something you can ā€œgrow intoā€ as you scale the rest of your equipment. When not properly amped, bass will suffer, you might get some dynamic compression and/or not be able to play as loud, and it will sound more closed in (sufficient power gives an open effortless sound). You still get great timbre and as much detail as your upstream equipment can provide. Again, as long as you can live with the tradeoffs in the interim, itā€™s still a reasonable way to go.

2 Likes