HiFiMan Susvara Over-Ear Planar Headphone - Official Thread

Thanks for weighing in. This is a good description of how sound could be affected by either under-amping and/or bad synergy. Although these sound like generalizations (vs Arche+Susvara specific) these are useful points to keep in mind when evaluating equipment.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to go solid-state or tubes but Sajid and others listed several worthy options and it’s comforting to know there are decent options in the $1k - $2k range even though my goal will not be to skimp.

Yes, those were generalizations and not specifically about Arche (I don’t have any experience with that).

Finding tubes to drive a Susvara is probably not as well explored as SS options. I’ve used my Primaluna Prologue speaker amp to drive my Susvara (tube rolling made a significant difference too) and Sajid has one of the Primaluna models with headphone out. I just recently bought a used 845-based tube headphone amp and so far it works very very well.

Imgur

8 Likes

Grats on your lovely Italian beauty. That view is arguably more gorgeous than the front view. Can you provide some quick comparisons between this vs the speaker amp vs any SS amps you’ve heard?
It’s too bad the tubes stick up so high, makes it tough to rest a pot for cooking.

1 Like

Egoista? Those are gorgeous.

1 Like

Here are my measurements on a fake GRAS setup with a small homemade compensation:

Susvara vs Arya

Susvara vs HE6SE V2

7 Likes

Looks good. :ok_hand:t4:
(20…)

@speleofool has comented elsewhere on his positive experience with using a pendant to run susvara as well, just to give some more options for people to consider.

Out of curiosity, anyone here have experience with sus on the GSX-mini? I expect there is still more benefit to be gained by stepping up to a speaker amp but figured I would ask

1 Like

Just thought I’d chime in with my latest chain and my experience with the sus.

I’m currently in a transition period with my gear. I’ve basically sold everything and kept only the things that are essential to keep my headphones powered. I’m using an oldie resonessence concero and a Hegel H80 to power the Sus. While there is a difference between the Concero and the Ygg, it’s not a big enough difference to where I don’t enjoy my music. I do have a ifi zen can as well and I wouldn’t recommend using that with the Sus if you have something better. I’m waiting for a Benchmark AHB2 and also a dac that i just placed an order for this weekend.

Overall, the Sus easily outresolves most if not all the headphones I’ve tried recently even with my current chain. The hegel provides plenty of grunt in the low end and the sus is nice and airy. Compared to the Pass INT-25 I had before, I feel like the Hegel sounds a little cleaner while losing maybe a little nuance. I think the Pass is a nice piece of gear but I’m quite happy with the Hegel at 1/4 - 1/5 of the price used. If anyone is considering a low efficiency headphone, I’d recommend looking at used Hegel integrateds. You can grab one for a reasonable price generally.

I guess moral of the story is, sus can actually do pretty well with “lower” priced integrated amps.

5 Likes

This was worth my comeback.

7 Likes

I’m not really a measurements guy. I always let my ears be the final judge of things, but that’s a pretty excellent FR.

I haven’t heard many, but the Susvara was the best headphone I’ve heard, hands down. And that was with less than optimal source gear. I can only imagine what it’s like off of a proper chain.

3 Likes

I am using the Audiolab 6000A Play integrated amp with Susvara primarily. It also has a well-regarded dac section in it using their implementation of the ESS9018, though it has no hints of the infamous sabre glare and the sterile/dead sounding 9018 sound that I was so used to with many of my old dacs/daps from a few years ago. This one sounds quite good to be honest.

Anyway, I’m also using Bifrost 2 as a DAC to it, but flipping back and forth, the differences are very subtle (slightly warmer body on the bifrost 2 vs wider soundstage on the audiolab dac) and I feel like the Susvara sounds great on it, and it’s not a super expensive amp ($1200 USD retail).

I’ve also tried the Sus with the Feliks OTL Elise MK2 amp. It surprisingly works pretty well EXCEPT I do find the upper hamonics are a tad fatiguing and can be a little sharp at times, depending on the track. But otherwise, this one gave me the biggest soundstage of the amps I own (though, I havent tried it on Jot 2 since its at Schiit for repairs).

6 Likes

For as refined as it is, Susvara is surprisingly forgiving (provided you feed it enough power, at least). I used A90 for mine for the most part.

My ultimate reference chain now is Holo May KTE → Mapletree passive XLR switch → Goldpoint level control → McIntosh 8207 multichannel amp (@ Zone B) → Susvara

The difference between the A90 chain and the silly chain is really quite subtle. Bass response is optimal on the big chain (a bit more volume and all the control), and imaging separation is a slight step up. It’s not night and day, but it is noticeable. Out of the ADI-2 / A90 combo, Susvara is still probably the best headphone I’ve heard. Out of the McIntosh amp it’s the best headphone on its very best behavior.

If you’re going to own Susvara, it is worth optimizing the rest of the chain just to squeeze every last bit of goodness out of them, but if that’s something you’d need to grow into then I wouldn’t feel bad at all about sticking with a competent amp like A90 as a holdover. You won’t be missing anything, especially during more casual listening.

Anyway, my $.02 on good vs optimal chains.

7 Likes

Agreed. Even slightly underpowered they perform well.

It’s the cost of admission that’s holding me back, but hopefully some day.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Anyone try the Susvara yet with the Burson Soloist 3x or the Flux Labs FH10/10pro?

I did some more serious A-B between HE6se v2 and Sus… listening to some orchestral and jazz pieces with higher quality music choices:

tonality: very similar, he6se slightly more forward mids, susvara slightly smoother treble and extended air

soundstage: susvara is noticable more spacious, mostly in depth and layering

imaging: susvara more precise and better separation; he6se isnt congested or anything, but it feels a little bit compared to sus

resolution: susvara has that extra magic that is more resolving. its actually more noticeable than i originally though, after using more quality tracks

attack: susvara has both a tighter and quicker attack, yet also has better harmonic definition and sounds just a little more real. he6se isnt lacking in this area either for a planar

Tested on:
PC → Roon (precise/linear) → PC → Audiolab 6000A DAC section (slow filter) to Amp section → headphones using speaker tap

PC → Roon (precise/linear) → PC → Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC → Audiolab 6000A Amp → headphones using speaker tap

8 Likes

That’s awesome.

I just ordered my HE6se, so I’ve found your comparisons helpful.

I really loved the Susvara. I’m hoping the HE6se will keep me happy till I can get a Susvara.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Very nice details @antdroid. @ValentineLuke u won’t regret it.

3 Likes

I hope not! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It should be pretty sweet, though. That Krell should be a great amp to power inefficient HifiMan.

1 Like

Susvara group buy from headphones.com :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice comparison @antdroid . I don’t know how close the HE6se v2 is to the original HE6 but this makes me feel like I’m not missing anything by going straight to the Susvara’s, which I just ordered last week and waiting for them to ship…I’m really excited!

After tons of research with the focus on headamps, I decided to pair it with the SPL Phonitor XE with dac. Although it was mentioned that this won’t push them to their ‘max’ I’m ok with that since I’m more of a quality over quantity type of guy since I tend to listen at low to moderate levels most of the time. I’m currently waiting for it to be shipped.

My first choice was the big Cayin HA-6A but learned that shipping and cost would not be great and on top of that, wait time would be over 2 months. Same deal with the HA-300. I also considered Bakoon Amp-13R but it only has a SE headphone jack. I would’ve taken a closer look if it had balanced XLR. I also considered the Burson Conductor 3X Reference, Flux FCN-10, HeadAmp GS-X mk2 (and GS-X mini) and and McIntosh MHA150. I went with the Phonitor because it checks all the boxes on my list.

I appreciate everyone sharing experiences and perspectives as it helps quite a bit when researching ‘blindly’ and not being able to test things first-hand. I applaud @taronlissimore and @andrew and their staff for creating a company focused on shared passion. Special shout out to Alan at headphones.com for his care and patience in helping me with the Phonitor decision and purchase.

4 Likes