HiFiMan Susvara Over-Ear Planar Headphone - Official Thread

Oh man, don’t do that hahah.

4 Likes

Unless he is carrying a hose and is dressed as a firefighter :smiley:

3 Likes

if @Resolve is running into a burning building, i’ll follow him to get the leftovers, whatever is left is better gear than I have today. Either that or the burning building won’t keep him from stealing the box on @taronlissimore’s desk.

3 Likes

I have a Susvara coming and I’m also stuck as to what amplifier to get because I’m being told both sides. I’m leaning towards going for something beefy rather than something that may bottle neck the Susvara as I’m trying not to lose money buying a “lower end” amp and then end up selling for something with higher quality down the road.

From my experiences with the susvara, I found no discernable difference between the IHA-6 and a 125W speaker amp (NCore 252MP). I did find several differences between the IHA-6 and the A90, most noticeably the soundstage size and dynamics. Many others who own the susvara can also attest to this; I would recommend trying it out first before spending $4k - $6k on a high end rig. You may very well find it delivers on everything you have ever looked for in a headphone with that combo.

4 Likes

Like I mentioned before, we need to be careful when looking at quantity of power and quality of power. It doesn’t surprise me that an NCore 252MP amp doesn’t sound all that different from an IHA-6 due to the similarity in price points. Just because it’s a speaker amp doesn’t magically make it better than a headphone amp.

However, what I’ve found to be the case is that the Susvara can take in as much power as you can give it and headphone amps have more things to worry about when it comes to delivery a lot of power while keeping quiet for high sensitivity headphones. Since the Susvara has basically the same sensitivity as bookshelves, you can push a lot more current using a speaker amp vs the headphone amp.

I think if you wanted to, you can spend $4-5k on a headphone amp that will do amazingly well with the Susvara. The question I had to ask myself when I got to that point was, why not get a speaker amp so I can also use it for speakers and not just headphones? That’s when the speaker amp recommendation makes a ton more sense. There are so many quality speaker amp manufacturers out there that have a ton of experience making speaker amps. Not until the past 5 years have we really seen $2-3k+ headphone amps hit the market. Obviously there are exceptions but if so many people are recommending speaker amps after using both, why not give it a shot?

5 Likes

This headphone rabbit hole is insane. I went from looking at a Burson Soloist 3x to enquiring about the newly released Enleum 23-R and I don’t even have my Susvara tracking # yet :sob:

5 Likes

The primary reason to look at speaker amps for the Susvara vs say higher end headphone amps like the Liquid Gold, WA33, Egoista 845, AIC10 etc. is probably cost.
There are a lot of good not stupidly expensive integrated speaker amps out there that will do a good job with them.
I personally haven’t spent a lot of time looking at speaker amps, I have tried them on a wide range of headphone amps, and they rarely sound terrible, but there is a big win for the better amps.
It’s also not all to do with power, a Monoprice Liquid Platinum will put as many or more watts into a 60 Ohm load than a Bakoon 13R will, that doesn’t make it a better amp for the Susvara.

5 Likes

Sorry to ask, as I’m sure you’ve mentioned it elsewhere, but which amp do you personally use with the Susvara?

I found those same differences between Lyr 3 & A90 on Arya. This is probably not something about Susvara’s need for power, but rather about specifically A90’s synergy with planars (possibly Hifiman planars specifically?)

If you really want to get specific about testing Susvara’s thirst for power, a better test would be to plug it into a Violectric V550 and then a Flux FA-10. Both solid amps, though the Violectric is objectively better. Both have plenty of power to drive Susvara, but the Flux has 3x the power of the Violectric. If Susvara sounds better out of the Flux, then you have your answer; if it sounds better out of the Violectric, then it’s not really about the amount of power.

Also, while I generally enjoy Passion For Sound’s channel, what he said about Susvara’s need for power sounded like nonsense to me. It’s contrary to everything everyone who has ever used it says about it. But if you wanted to test it, just add a Rebel Amp to the test I detailed above. If what he says is true, the Rebel Amp should drive Susvara every bit as well as the Flux.

2 Likes

I own the 13r with my susvara and love it…truly wonderful combo…I also own an A90 which I use as a travel amp and to compare the 2 is ridiculous…the A90 is a toy compared to the 13r…actually there are many HP amps that cost a bit more than the A90 that are far better…a used Ifi Ican pro for about 1000 dollars runs rings around it, I owned that in the past…the speaker amp debate rages regarding the susvara because it is such a hard load for most low power amps…there are however many good HP amps that do a fine job with the susvara

4 Likes

I’ve personally used a Pass Labs Int-25, Luxman L550axii and Benchmark AHB2 with the Susvara.

2 Likes

I have the NC250 monoblocks and I do not like the combination with the Susvara at all. I use a TT2 DAC.

However my OG 80wpc @ 8ohm Burson Timekeeper sounds amazing with it and the difference is night and day. I love it so much so that I decided to preorder the Burson Soloist Grand Tourer as my next step.

I picked it over the Volot (too big) and Ferrum Oor with Hypsos (Burson GT is a bit cheaper and will look better in my all silver rig).

2 Likes

That is good to know! What about the NC250 did you not like?

To me it sounded thin. It still felt class D to me. The class AB Timekeeper from 2012 that I bought used for approx 750usd sounded a lot lot better to me.

Anyone tried the various Dekoni pads on the Susvara?

I want a set of the rings to try some ZMF pads, they appear to come with some rings too.

I 3D printed a set from Thingiverse, whilst it fit, its apparent a moulded/cast plastic is the way to go, clips too thin and weak.

Are the rings used in the Susvara the same as the other circular headphones? If so, they’re usually available from the HiFiMAN store for something like USD$10 and also Aliexpress (Defean sells them on their own). Just shipping, which may take a while during these times.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/earpad-mounting-rings.html

1 Like

Almost. They will fit. Susvara adds some more oval shape toward the bottom, but the inner is the same.

Hi all, trying to decide on an amp to properly drive the Susvaras. I have limited desktop space, so need something that sounds good but isn’t huge or heats up like an oven (also no speaker amps for same reason).

My two main candidates right now would be the Bakoon 13R (or its successor the Enleum 23R) and the Ferrum Oor with Hypsos PSU. Maybe the GSX-Mini also, but I dont think it’s as good.

It’s hard for me to audition any of these so would love any feedback.

Thanks!

idk about the OOR, but the 13R gets crazy hot