HiFiMan Susvara Over-Ear Planar Headphone - Official Thread

Thanks, I didnt know that. That might be an issue then. not sure if the new model fixes that or not. How did the 13R sound though?

The Benchmark AHB2, which is what I have, isnā€™t that big

1 Like

I use AHB2 as my main amp for my speakers ESL2905, would the the designated Headphone amp HPA4 with same tech not be sufficient and a perfect match with its perfect measurements?

Thanks Iā€™ve considered that too. I think it will be between this and the Oor.

I think Cameron (GoldenSound) is doing a review of the Ferrum and he runs his Susvara through an ABH2 and also tested the HPA4

4 Likes

the 13r is truly terrific with the susvara and its form factor cannot be beatenā€¦in terms of it getting hot, it does but it is so small that literally doesnt matter

1 Like

The Ferrum OOR are about the same size as the 13R, if anything, a tiny bit smaller.

OOR - Dimension (W x D x H) (In/cm): 8.6 x 8.1 x 2.0 inch / 21.7 x 20.6 x 5 cm
13R - 230 mm (W) x 230 mm (D) x 55 mm (H)

And even now, I donā€™t think you can get the 13Rs these days since the Bakoon ā†’ Enleum rename/change.

I guess the big question is, how close is the Oor to the Bakoon/Enleum? Youā€™re right, heat is a small price to pay if they sound really better, but if the Oor gets close, it runs cooler AND is half the priceā€¦

it gets about as hot as a tube amp would. i run a quiet usb fan on top of it and it helps a little bit.

3 Likes

I have my 13r in my bedroom next to my bed and the heat from the unit is of no issue to me FWIIW

1 Like

Is there any news when Hifiman will update susvara? It seems Hifiman is updating their headphones line up at the moment (new Arya, Diva)

From everything I hear on mine compared to the others and everything I read from even more others, I donā€™t think there is an update warranted right now. They still best all other planar and dynamics for the day to day cream of the crop. If they can best it they would have to convince me 1st that I am missing something with the sound they put out.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also pretty sure they would offer a trade in program by sending the first gen Susvara + cash, like they did on most of their other flagships.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure. That would leave me wanting still as I have the 2nd Gen currently. Back to the music.

The only thing Iā€™d probably want out of the Susvara is a bit more punchy dynamics and easier to drive. But Iā€™m pretty invested into powering it now, that I guess its sunk cost.

6 Likes

Thats one of the shames about the Susvara. You do have to be willing to make the commitment to driving it well (lots of options, just another cost to consider from not tons to lots of $.) Kind of like a lesser commitment electrostat, in that you have to consider amping as well.

I figure it is worth it, but I guess that also depends on the person.

So you have headphones such as the Susvara and electrostat where you have to consider amps.

Then you have headphones such as the Mysphere where you have to consider dedicated listening rooms so as to not draw attention from anyone else and be laughed at.

Then you have headphones such as the Abyss AB-1266 and RAAL SR1a where you need to consider both amping and dedicated listening rooms/environments lol.

4 Likes

From my understaning, 1st gen is the 2.5mm connector. 2nd gen is 3.5mm. But they both sound identical. Is it correct?

1 Like

I think that is the case.

2 Likes

Iā€™d argue gen 3 is 3.5mm.

There was brushed stainless steel for a few years, then in late 2019 they transitioned to the powder coated finish.

Then Spring 2020 they started offering with 3.5mm BUT most importantly revised pads, making them less ethereal and more warm/ rich and a bit more in your face.

The old pads sound better imho, they sound notably more spacious, but bass is less punchy. Thankfully a bass shelf eq fixes everything.

Iā€™ve owned 3 different Susvara (warranties) and handled 2 more.

Have also A/Bā€™d recently the 2.5 and 3.5 and well, the pads are what make the difference and I prefer the older series personally for its more speaker-like presentation.

2 Likes