HiFiMan Susvara Over-Ear Planar Headphone - Official Thread

What do you mean with 3 diff susvara? Did you have issues with them and have to be replaced 3x?

I own Susvara and have heard it on both A90 and the Bakoon. The A90 is life support for Susvara, and thatā€™s about all. Itā€™s good enough that Susvara sounds good, but itā€™s still a bottleneck.

FWIW, the 13r is warmer and lusher than I expected* and may filter some quieter details, but Susvara sounds eminently musical and vivd. I can see why this became a much beloved combination. Imaging is immaculate. Bass is tight, controlled, and forceful. The leap from A90 is both small in magnitude and immediately obvious. The Bakoon just sounds cleaner, more focused. More perfect (and with a splash of subjectively tasteful richness). Itā€™s the type of improvement thatā€™s only important if youā€™re going after every iota of musical goodness. But if you own Susvara, why wouldnā€™t you?

On the flipside, if spending in excess of $10k on an audio chain seems like an alien concept, A90 is a wonderfully clean amp with plenty of power and a black background. Itā€™s not overpowered, like the expensive behemoth amps, but itā€™s plenty for Arya, which remains one of my favorite headphones sub-$2k. Itā€™s currently my daily driver on my desk; Iā€™ve mostly been listening to MEST MkII lately (though broke out 1770s for some slammy bass). Anyway, itā€™s a good amp.

FWIW, the ā€œspeaker ampā€ option for me was easyā€“the heart of my home theater is a McIntosh 8207 surround amp (7 channels x 200 wattsā€“about 25W at Susvara impedance), but I only have 5.1 surround. I got a Goldpoint stepped attenuator and allocated the spare 2 channels to driving Susvara. Itā€™s in the same room as my A90, so I can compare them side by side. Theyā€™re not the same.

Tuning is similarā€“less warm and more ā€œclean referenceā€ than the Bakoonā€“but the speaker amp chain has tighter imaging and more controlled bass than A90. Itā€™s an improved version of the same fundamental experience. Susvara seems to breathe more naturally, dynamics are a bit more exciting, bass extra grippy. Itā€™s the little thingsā€“like a meal from scratch vs something really excellent, but pre-made.

Anyway, that was a first listen. Iā€™ve had my Susvara for over a year now and recently brought it to CANJAM SoCal, where I got to enjoy it on several amps at the show. The Ferrum Oor was mighty impressive for a small desktop footprint (has a similar sound to my McInchain), and the AmpsAndSound Nautilus was killer for tubes.

If youā€™re jumping into Susvara and remain unconvinced by the amp argument, do this:

1. Consider that getting the best may well require spending thousands more on your chain (i.e., set some expectations and prepare for wallet hemorrhage so that itā€™s not a painful surprise)

2. Get an A90 as a holdover, if you need one, and then bring your Sus to an audio show or meetup where you can listen on more expensive / more powerful chains. Try some tubes. You may be surprised.

ā€“

• Note: the DAC we used for Bakoon was BiFrost 2, so not sure if / how much that may have contributed to warm & rich attributes of that chain, but bear in mind w/ impressions posted above
7 Likes

Well, somehow Iā€™ve managed to not hear the Mini yet, so will skip that.

The Oor impressed me mightily and will be replacing the A90 on my desktop. It reminded me of the same general presentation as A90, but punchy! Susvara slams on Oor!

The 13r had a richer, more lush style (trade some realism points for musicality points). Itā€™s more expensive and harder to find, but itā€™s a very enjoyable combo.

Which to get maybe depends on your preferences. I generally prefer ā€œlean and cleanā€ for solid state and go tubes for warm and lush, which is what landed me at Oor. But if both were readily available and similarly priced ā€¦ well, Iā€™d probably own both, lol. It would be a tougher call.

1 Like

Thanks. I actually managed to find both for very substantial discounts and will be getting both in a couple of weeks. So Iā€™ll be able to test them and decide which I prefer. Will report back on this thread when I do.

Hopefully I donā€™t have to replace my DAC too. I currently have a Naim uniti atom HE which sounds very nice and is super convenient to use. But since the rest of my audio chain is getting into TOTL territory I hope my DAC wonā€™t be holding me back. Otherwise one more thing to buyā€¦

2 Likes

Wow, congrats! Thatā€™s serious gear!

I donā€™t know the NAIM except by brand reputation; Iā€™d expect it will be fine. The BiFrost 2 we had feeding the 13rr at CANJAM is only about a $700 DAC. Was my first time hearing that DAC as well, but with 13r it sounded fantastic.

Once into uber-high-end, the game shifts toward feeling out personal preferences and building chains that synergize well and deliver what you like. Like, Holo DACs seem to deliver a natural, refined, but relaxed presentation with great staging. Other high-end DACs can be more strident and punchy, which sounds great in an altogether different way.

Comparing those two amps side by side sounds enlightening. Iā€™m definitely interested to hear about that experience when you try it. And if you have more than one DAC available, it would be interesting (after youā€™ve had some time to acclimate to your NAIM) to hear whether changing things up modifies the end result much and how.

1 Like

Thanks Iā€™ll definitely be relaying my impressions. Especially since I also have an LCD-5 incoming. As for the DAC I agree, iā€™ll try the Naim for now and then if I feel iā€™m missing out Iā€™ll try another DAC to see if it enhances the setup.

TBH the Naim is SO well executed and user friendly (great build, looks, super stable, takes Roon/Airplay/Chromecast) that another DAC would have to sound much better for me to replace it. If it sounds just a little better Iā€™ll just keep the naim, as I know of no other all in one in that price range that does what it does.

In the end Iā€™ll only be able to keep one pair of HPs, a DAC and an amp. So it will be interesting what i end up withā€¦

2 Likes

Very cool. Thatā€™s another can I want more time with.

I heard it at CANJAM, but their setup wasnā€™t the greatest, and I was mildly underwhelmed. I would like to hear that on other chains and with a better selection of music. Iā€™m sure itā€™s capable of more than what I got out of my brief audition.

Weight savings was very welcome, though. And overall comfort was pretty great.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Iā€™ll def check both the LCD5 and Susvara when I have them, i think the system will do them justice and let them both shine to see which one is really the best, unless my Naim DAC somehow makes everything sound average, but i doubt it.

Sorry, late reply to this. Iā€™ve tried the perforated leather and the hybrid Dekoni pads with Susvara. My personal opinion is the stock pads are the best. The others reduce the soundstage and make the mids much more foward. The FR starts to resemble more like the Abyss TC-1266 so thatā€™s why probably some people who own the TC1266 and Sus like those pads.

2 Likes

curious to see how the hybrid dekoni pads compare to stock if you have that graph as well :smiley:

I cant find my squiggle for it, and I donā€™t have it anymore. But I think it measured very similarly to the perf leather.

All good mate. Need to be quick around these woods. I sold them already!

Werenā€™t quite my sound.

LCD-5 is incoming sometime soon. And picking up a TT2 tomorrow too, that neat desktop setup.

Ive heard great things about the LCD5ā€¦ I want to try one for science.

3 Likes

My interest is also science based.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what I tell my wife - for science and learning.

4 Likes

LCD5 is the real deal, but itā€™s quite technical.

Ultimately itā€™s probably going to be moving on as Susvara is still the overall better HP

14 Likes

4 Likes

question is when would you pick up your sennheisers 600 series when you have all those juicy flagships to choose from?

1 Like

One of those is the HE60 electrostat (baby orpheus) which is probably my favorite of the lot!

HD580 and HD580 Jubilee even more so (if valuing tone), are just the best headphones ever made for a natural timbre and neutral response - just donā€™t expect deep bass or top of the line detail from these.

Musicality is sometimes more important than technical ability. A balancing act of both is what makes a headphone very special - only a handful of those exist.

Cheers :slight_smile:

6 Likes

with all the new HPā€™s it appears nothing has yet bested the susvara or abyssā€¦