IEMs Discovery & General Discussion

Being new to IEM’s I’m in the same situation with tips. Tips wind up being a project on their own which I didn’t see coming.

I bought what seems to be universally viewed as a solid starter IEM, Moondrop Starfield, because the tuning is pretty close to Harman.

There are clear benefits over headphones for me in terms of image and clarity but are essentially unlistenable (new addition to English vocabulary) on some tracks. Fiddling blindly I found that taking a couple db off 1/2/4k fixes it. I’m assuming this is due to my unique ear shape / hearing loss.

Added to that I can’t get a proper fit with the included silicone tips.

So now cost of entry could wind up doubling just due to tips. It’s not that it’s breaking the bank but my plan of just dipping my toes in as an experiment did not survive contact with the enemy.

4 Likes

Yeah, I don’t like how the Comply tips change to sound of my T2 plus. I like the InAirs much better. They look the same but sound very different. And the InAirs are much cheaper. :slight_smile:

The thing is that I can’t find any specs on the inner diameter for the Comply tips. But it doesn’t matter now. I’m not going to experiment with then further.

1 Like

By now I’ve spend about 2x as much on tips than that my IEMs cost. :smiley: And I don’t regret it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that not many reviewer do this. (I mainly watch reviews on YT)

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying reading the reviews recently of totl IEMs like the Empire Ears Odin. They’ve got me wondering about how such IEM offerings relate to more affordable models by the same company and then, in turn, how these comparisons relate to equivalent upgrades within the headphone sector of the hobby.

To make this clearer, I’m wondering how the improvement of, say, the Odin over the Hero relates to that of the Focal Utopia over the Focal Clear, for instance. Or the 64 Audio models to the ZMF or HiFiMAN ones, etc…

I guess what I’m curious about are people’s ideas about the subjective experience of such upgrades and how appealing and significant they are. I’ve compared the Clear to the Utopia, for instance, and have my own thoughts about the merits of upgrading. But I’ve not heard equivalent upgrades in the IEM space.

Some disclaimers: I’m not trying to start a conversation about the merits of IEMs vs headphones; I realize that there are different kinds of tech involved, that there are the perils of apples to oranges comparisons at play here, and that there are different reasons, preferences, and contexts that inform people’s decisions to go with a totl IEM over a headphone or vice-versa, and, finally, I don’t mean to open a pandora’s box about pricing, value for money, or the laws of diminishing returns.

But I’d be interested in reading thoughts about how far these respective transducers scale up. (Also, if you could get back to me before I win the lottery this week, I’d appreciate it :smiley:).

4 Likes

I try to always mention what tips I have found work best for me when reviewing an IEM.

However, I prefer foam tips unless they negative affect the sound (which they do on a few IEMs) or they make the IEMs in question uncomfortable (also happens). I usually always try the foams, the ones included and a few other types that I have experienced good results with.

5 Likes

I don’t have preference for foam or silicone. I found the foam InAirs to have a positive effect on the sound where the Comply tips had a negative effect. Same thing with the silicone tips included with the T2 plus vs the CP155 from Spinfit.

Now comfort … I don’t find any tip really comfortable.

I can warmly recommend the Flare Audio’s earfoams.

I have tried dozens of tips over the years and ended up with Comply for quite a while. What I did not like was the durability. Changing tips every 2-3 months at that price?

Then I stumbled upon a very interesting IEM from Flare, the Flares Pro 2HD. Got a good price at the time and the sound quality was amazing for the price. Those had these tips.

I now use them on all my IEMs! Isolation is excellent. Durability much better than Comply and even the sound, at least for me, got an improvement.

Just in case anyone is interested (not getting paid!!!) :wink::

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/flare-pro-2hd.23660/review/21963/

1 Like

I have Odin, Legend X and Hero to test right now.

Had an extensive listen with LX and Odin. Only little time with Hero yet…

First impression : Yes, the Odin are amazing in every regard. LX too, but different in that they are more “in - your - face”, wheras the Odin are very balanced overall. Like the LX is Thor (rename it please!) and the Odin is… well… Odin, the all-knowing Allfather, if that makes sense. :sweat_smile:

Where does that leave Hero?
Is it Loki after all? You may not think much of him, yet he is cunning, clever - striking you in the back when you least expect it…

I will find out soon. :grin:

2 Likes

I will be interested to hear your final thoughts with regards the Hero and the Odin.

I finished writing the main part of my EE HERO review. Pictures and comparisons are still missing, so please consider this a first draft…

Intro

Meet the latest entry in Empire Ears (EE) broad range of in-ear monitors (IEMs), the Hero. At a retail price of $1349, it sits somewhere in the middle of their offerings.

The HERO belongs to EE’s X Series which is, as far as I understand, mainly targeted at consumers rather than professionals. Those are covered by EE’s EP, or Empire Professional Series.

Specifications

4 Proprietary Drivers, Hybrid Design:

• Universal in-ear monitor
  • 1 Next Generation W9+ Subwoofer - Sub-Bass/Bass
  • 3 Proprietary Balanced Armature Drivers - 1 Mid, 1 Mid-High, 1 High
  • 4-Way synX Crossover Network
  • A.R.C. Resonance Mitigation Technology
  • Impedance: 17.6 Ohms @ 1kHz
  • Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 40kHz
  • Sensitivity: 105dB @ 1kHz, 1mW
  • Handcrafted Alpha-IV 26AWG UPOCC Copper Litz Cable

Disclaimer

My review consists solely of my own thoughts, opinions and impressions of the product. All pictures were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.

Review gear

• Burson Audio Conductor 3X Reference (main testing source)

• Astell & Kern SP1000M DAP

• Cayin N8 DAP

• Cayin N6 II DAP with E02 module

• Empire Ears Alpha-IV cable (2.5mm balanced)

• Satin Audio Medusa II cable (2.5mm balanced)

Music selection/Testing playlist

Voices, midrange, acoustic guitars etc.

Marily Manson - The Pale Emperor - Day3
Chris Jones - Moonstruck
Sara K. - Hell or High Water - I Can’t Stand The Rain, Stars
Ana Tijoux - 1977 - Partir de Cero

Channel separation

NIN - The Downward Spiral - Hurt
Johnny Cash - The Essential - Ring of Fire
Stephen Coleman - Westworld Season 2 Soundtrack - C.R.E.A.M.

Soundstage, treble, electric guitars etc.

Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged - Rooster
Korn - MTV Unplugged - Freak on a Leash
Anneke van Giersbergen - Symphonized - Feel Alive
Howard Shore - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Blunt the Knives

Dynamics, bass, subbass

The Diary - The Gentle Storm - Endless Sea |Gentle Version|
Wardruna - Runaljod: Ragnarok - Tyr
Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel OST - Look to the Stars
Hans Zimmer - Pearl Harbor OST - Tennessee
Ice Cube - Raw Footage - Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It
Andreas Vollenweider - Vox - Enchanted Rocks

Packaging & Accessories

The packaging for all Empire Ears (EE) products is more or less the same which to me makes sense, because it shows consistency throughout their whole range. You get a very nicely designed black or white cardboard box with the Empire Ears Logo and the name or logo of your particular product. It’s not too big or small and radiates class and style. It consists of an outer “slider” cover and a sturdier inside box.

Once you open the magnetic flap of the box inside you find a compartment with a quick manual and a “thank you” card from EE congratulating you to your excellent purchase :wink: Underneath looms the IEM and cable ready for you to rip out and enjoy the music. A classy drawer underneath reveals an aluminum sheet containing various Final Audio silicon tips to choose from. The great thing here is that Empire Ears not only gives you the standard S, M and L sizes but XS, S, M, L and XL instead, which simply gives you a wider range of tips to match to your ears. As my ear-canals are slightly different in size, it makes it easier for me to get a good fit. However, I would have wished for a selection of foam tips as I generally prefer foam over silicon. The included tips work well though.

Josh from EE told me that the tips were meticulously chosen for the best sound- and comfort experience through rigorous testing and since I had a lot of discussions with him, I can see that EE are very dedicated to delivering the best possible product to their customers. I could honestly feel the dedication which, at least for me, makes for a good brand experience.

Build quality & Fit

IEMs

The build quality of the HERO is simply excellent. They look flawless with no visible seams between faceplate and in-ear. In the past I refrained from anything IEM related that was not metal. I felt that plastics are just cheap. So when first buying an IEM made of resin, I was dumbstruck, as it did not look cheap at all, on the contrary. Same goes for the HERO. They just look classy in my opinion.

Fit and comfort, at least for my ears is very good with rather long nozzle enabling a good seal for me. Hence the IEMs do not sit flush in my ears but stand out a couple of millimeters, which is no problem for me.

Cable

EE are using a variation of Effect Audio’s Ares II which they call Alpha-IV or simply A4. You get to choose from 3.5mm single ended or 2.5mm balanced. I always go for balanced but that’s my personal preference. It’s a beautiful, classy and well made cable and I particularly like the sleek connectors and super small y-split. Yes, that cable looks gorgeous in my opinion.

What I don’t like so much is the rigidness of the cable. When I first removed it from the package, it took me some time to straighten it out. It’s still rigid and, for me, flexibility, especially for an IEM cable is an important factor. I clearly prefer softer, more flexible cables. I gave the feedback to EE and I am curious if other customers had similar remarks or if I am the only one.

However, cable noise is at an acceptable level / no issue. Soundwise I have no complaints whatsoever. After all, EE tested A LOT of cables. I saw the pictures of their workshop with I-don’t-know-how-many cables hanging and lying around, so here again, they went through a lot of trouble to find the best match.

Sound

Let’s come to the bread-and-butter now, shall we?

Overall tonality

I consider the overall tonality of the HERO as musical/emotional rather than analytical with very good impact and detail. I believe the goal was to create an IEM that delivers a fun experience across various genres. It’s definitely not made to dissect music but rather to enjoy it.

Treble

Acoustic- and electric guitars sound clear and detailed throughout. I really enjoy the representation as I listen to a lot of acoustic guitar music and rock music in particular. There’s certainly no lack of sparkle and detail for sure. I would describe the treble representation as slightly forward/emphasized. Since I don’t do measurements, I cannot back that impression up with data though.

This slight treble emphasis occasionally leads to a certain sibilance, most apparent in “s”- sounds, depending on the music and source (DAC/AMP/DAP) that is used. Sometimes it’s barely noticeable and sometimes it is. It will also depend on how sensitive a person is in that regard.

Midrange

Voices, male and female alike, are just so slightly pronounced and overall quite enjoyable. The midrange to me seems rather balanced and unspectacular in a positive sense. I don’t miss anything and I don’t hear anything special there, apart from the aforementioned slightly forward voice representation. It’s certainly enjoyable to listen to acoustic/unplugged recordings with the HERO.

Bass/Sub-bass

Thanks to the excellent “Weapon-9+” subwoofer that is also found in the Odin, the HERO naturally excels in this department.

There’s not too many IEMs out there with this kind of impact and sub-bass rumble for sure, making orchestral soundtracks, live sessions, Hip-hop and basically any kind of recording with a good dynamic range a treat. If you’re the kind of person that enjoys just having some fun time without worrying about a neutral representation, the HERO will tick all boxes in that regard. It’s almost on a similar level with EEs Legend X here, being (in)famous for punching deep and hard.

Soundstage

I would describe the soundstage on the Hero as rather average than large. Recordings like Alice in Chains “MTV Unplugged” from 1996 feel like you are part of the audience standing right in front of the stage in a small club rather than being in a large theatre. This gives me a more intimate feeling which I quite enjoy. Listening to Anneke van Giersbergen’s “Symphonized” album, the stage is larger but not huge. I guess it depends on a persons preferences really.

Channel separation

Channel separation is good, slightly above average I would say. I heard in-ears with a much more pronounced separation making for an almost uncanny listening experience at times (EEs own Legend X for example). Again: this is very much up to personal preference. I personally like the HEROs capabilities in that regard.

Neutrality

The HERO certainly is not an in-ear that I would consider neutral. It emphasises bass and treble but leaves the midrange pretty much untouched making for a colorful, fun experience.

Amplification/Matchability/Scalability

The Hero certainly scales well with the source and is not particularly hard to drive.
I would recommend using a rather “warm” source over a more neutral one mitigating the effect of the occasional sibilance.

Going from the Burson to a Cayin N8, in balanced mode there is noticeably more bass and sub-bass impact. Moving to tube-output, the bass is tamed a bit and becomes more civil. As one would assume, sibilance becomes less of an issue here as the tubes do what they’re supposed to do. In single ended (solid state) mode, some of the massive energy from balanced is lost, retaining the same overall tonality.

When I first listened to the HERO on my Astell & Kern SP1000M, I did not particularly like the synergy as the Sp1000M, while being an excellent device, has a tonality that leans closer to neutral than, say, the Cayin DAPs. I guess the Burson desktop DAC/Amp sits somewhere in between. That being said, I did listen with the SP1000M with the HERO fresh out-of-the-box, so no burn-in time.

I did a little cable-rolling as well and switched from EE’s Alpha-IV cable to Satin Audio’s Medusa II (259,-$), just out of curiosity. I don’t want to go into details here, but let’s just say that you can tune the sound of the HERO further to your liking with a bit of experimenting on that side.

As of the time of writing this review, the HERO still has below 10 hours of usage, so I will give it a bit more time for either my ears to adjust and/or the IEMs to burn-in, however one might prefer to call it.

Comparisons

…work in progress…

Empire Ears Legend X (2200,-US$)

Empire Ears Odin (3400,-US$)

Shozy Pola 39 (850,-US$)

Verdict

The HERO is a fun IEM rather than a surgical instrument. Still, there is plenty of detail to be discovered. It inherits some of the DNA from Odin as well as the fun factor of the Legend X. Is it as good as those two? No, but at 1000 or 2000 $ less respectively, I guess that cannot be expected. The HERO scales well, so “more power” certainly does not hurt and with the right source (and cable), you can pretty much tailor the sound to your liking quite a bit.

7 Likes

Fantastic review @Tom_Ato. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I use the Cayiin N6ii Dap with a couple of different plug in Amp/Dac boards and really like the synergy with EE iems. Predominantley the Hero and especially the Odin.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I hope to add some pictures and the comparisons soon. Sometimes I just forget how much time this whole review thing really takes. Also, I’m on vacation and only have my smartphone to take pictures…

Btw. I will, from now on use my Burson DAC/Amp as a reference point for reviewing gear. I find it rather balanced/neutral in that it does not seem to color sound output too much.

I’m curious about your take on HERO. How do you like it? And more importantly: How do you like the cable? :wink:

The N6II is amazing, not to mention the price/value! I have N3pro, N6II and N8 and I have to say, N6II is soooooooo close to N8 soundwise. Also, having Android, a higres screen, a reasonably quick CPU and the possibility to change the sound and output options to your liking, the N6 II is my personal star in the Cayin lineup AND favorite DAP right now. I mean the N8 sounds amazing, you can tune the sound too, but that small and low-res screen and slow CPU is a bit of a shame considering the price.

2 Likes

Hi Tom. I really love my Cayiin N6ii it’s what was missing from my chain for Iem listening. So versatile.

Regarding the Hero I find it a great iem but with listening to the U18t’s for nearly 3 years I have obviously really grown used to its signature and the great soundstage it has, especially on the Cayiin N6ii. The synergy is so great. With the Hero I feel it’s lacking in the soundstage for my tastes. It just feels a bit too narrow. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy it though and I find it very enjoyable indeed.

After having the Hero for a couple of weeks I decided I wanted to try the Odin because of the great online feedback from people I trust.

After liquidating some assets I bought the Odin and haven’t been happier. I did infact try selling the Hero on ebay but nobody wanted it even at a cut down price. So I’ve decided to keep it in my collection. It’s my fun and punchy goto.

Sorry for the wall of text but I was in the zone and it kept coming. Lol.

7 Likes

Keep it coming @prfallon69. :+1::grin:

It’s great to have some exchange with fellow audiophiles. Alway appreciate various opinions and views!

I will be working on more reviews in the weeks to come whenever I have time.

2 Likes

After our chat yesterday morning I had an afternoon session with the Hero. Boy it was an enjoyable experience. I hope I didn’t come across in anyway negative in my previous post.

The way the Hero handles soundstage seems to change with each recording. It seems to put it there if needed as opposed to just sounding wide most of the time like some. Its a different experience. Really enjoyable iem.

2 Likes

I think the Hero has a lot of potential. Maybe unlike some other in-ears, I find that matching with the right source is necessary to really enjoy it to the fullest.

I know I asked already: How do you like the cable in terms of usability? Sound- and qualitywise, I have no complaints, but to me, the stiffness is an issue especially for an IEM. I find myself going back to alternative cables that are a lot more flexible and a joy to use. (I particularily recommend Satin Audio here)

I know that Andrew (@Resolve) has introduced usability as an important factor into his reviews and as a user experience designer, I could not agree more with him on that part.

Thanks a lot @Resolve! You’re my hero for thinking about/evaluating usability!!! :fist_right: :fist_left: :muscle:

4 Likes

I need to get back to talking about usability. I just haven’t had the chance to go for as many walks these days haha.

3 Likes

Sure. But it’s not just walking. It’s general comfort and handling too - of the IEM and cables /accessories. :wink: Even the packaging can be a delight or frustrating. There are many facets of usability that make for a good or bad experience, at least for myself.

I just received an IEM with markings on one of the pins of the cable but NOT on the IEM itself. There should be some way to tell users in which direction to plug the cable in. Both work but just one is right…

That’s just one of several examples I’ve seen in the last years though. I will try to mention those in my reviews too.

3 Likes

I have to agree with you regarding the Hero’s cable. I really don’t like the stiffness at all. It’s also a real bas###d to store without ties. To the point that I have been using other cables.

Sound and Aesthetics are great though.