IEMs Discovery & General Discussion

Hi @DunkFealer

Thats a fine collection of iem’s you’ve acquired. I can tell you love your iems and you’ll fit right in here. There are lots of us iem lovers on the forum. I still need to get to hear a Solaris for myself. I’ve a feeling I may well really like them. Again welcome.

4 Likes

Thank you for the welcome! Acquiring these has been a weird process of flip-flopping between telling myself that I’m satisfied and then feeling an intense sense of curiosity for what’s out there. I think I’m in a relatively stable phase right now :stuck_out_tongue: … I feel like the Solaris is the kind of IEM that I could very comfortably recommend to most people that want to try out higher end gear. It’s really easy to love and impresses quickly (soundstage particularly). You should try them if you get the chance! I guess loaner programs and tours are the most likely way to be able to do that these days? Lately I find myself gravitating to my Trio more often though. Very addicting sound that’s just a bit more fun to me.

2 Likes

The 64 Audio sound can be very addictive if you gel with their sound profile.

3 Likes

Really impressed by some budget offerings recently with the Tin HiFi T2 Plus and the Moondrop S.S.R. Neither are perfect, but $50 or less has come a long way!

2 Likes

Congratulations there’s no feeling like it when you get those special iems. Taron gives a great service and makes the whole experience so easy.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m ecstatic - or rather, e-static! :stuck_out_tongue: I agree. Glad I found headphones.com. Taron was quick to find me me a HipDAC after weeks of backorder wait from other vendors. They’ve definitely got a return customer in me!

5 Likes

Hey all, wanted to post my review of the KBEAR TRI i3 - an IEM I was very pleased with. I wish there was more attention towards it. If you have a variety of sources, I can say that they might be one of the better options withing their price range. (p.s. feedback and critics are always welcome!)

Either way here it is:

Pro's & Con's

Pros:
Huge soundstage (so large in fact, that it can sound realistic)
Outstanding imaging
Clean treble performance (excluding the sparkle you would get from the top top-end)
Fatigue-free due to warmer mids and rolled off top top-end
10/10 ergonomics and comfort (especially for their size)
Good value

Cons:
Top top-end rolled off, some may find it to lack of sparkle due to this
Mid-bass needs more punch, weight and definition
Source dependent, and source sensitive. You really have to find the perfect source that can bring the life out of the TRI i3

With the many brands in the Chinese audiophile market, KBEAR is one that I would pay special attention to. You may be more familiar with their single dynamic in-ear monitor - Diamond, or perhaps their F1 balanced armature model. One model which you should pay closer attention to is the TRI i3 - a hybrid setup that features three drivers; hence the name TRI i3. I found the combination of the three drivers to have quite a performance. Let’s clarify what type and size of drivers it is using:
A single 10mm planar magnetic driver + an 8mm Composite Dynamic driver + a Balanced Armature driver.

Let’s dive deeper into the TRI i3

Unboxing experience - Minimalist and simple

“Less is more” is how I felt with the TRI i3. A very simple black box (with some glitter/shimmer effect), one logo on the front, one label with the specifications on the back. That’s all it takes. No marketing labels/visual material. It almost felt like a luxury car unboxing, like the one of a key to an expensive car. There are no flashy and unnecessary graphics, just a stealthy black box.

What’s in the box?

The presentation was very straight forward. I like how KBEAR chose not to use gigantic boxes (which waste both materials, and space). KBEAR TRI i3 came with a pre-attached cable and a carrying pouch which holds the extra ear-tips. The carrying pouch is made out of a soft, velvet-like material, and it’s in a brown color.
I already spoke with Mr. Bairon (the owner of KBEAR) about some suggestions - I personally preferred the hard carrying case with the KBEAR Diamond, and also the presentation was better with the Diamond… although it was a larger packaging which did take more space than needed. I’ll speak about my (non-biased) experience and some information about Mr. Bairon in the following section.

What you get in terms of the ear-tips are two sets (S/M/L) of silicone ear-tips - one white, one grey. The white ones have a more straight and short shape, while the grey ones implement a more circular (breast-like) shape. This being said, the grey ones are taller, and they were the ones I preferred. You also get a pair of foam tips in a light-grey color. And to finish it on a positive note - no bad smells were present during the unboxing.

As always, here is everything you get in the box in a formal format:

1x carrying pouch
1x TRI i3
1x MMCX cable
1x S/M/L set of white silicone ear-tips
1x S/M/L set of grey silicone ear-tips
1x pair of foam ear-tips

Mr. Bairon and how he deals with business -

I had a chance to communicate directly over email with Mr. Bairon, and I have some respect for the man. Before I go on, I want to state loud and clear: this opinion doesn’t put any bias or alter my experience with the TRI i3, it’s just to show some respect for someone who deserves it.

He is somebody who is very humble, and the part which I respect the most: he accepts criticism and feedback. In the business world, this is something that is almost completely absent. When you are a business, especially an owner of an earphone/headphone/speaker company, the most important thing is that you listen to the users. There are a lot of owners who believe their product is the best and will either get offended or attack you if you give them criticism and feedback. Unfortunately, it’s a common issue. I am very happy to see somebody go the right way about their business. I personally gave some feedback and suggestions to Mr. Bairon - he listened and said he would be implementing it in his next product.

Mr. Bairon is somebody who works with the community. However, I don’t think anybody actually did enough to bring this to attention. Some people did and they are: @B9Scrambler (thecontraptionist.blog), @NymPHONOmaniac (nobsaudiophile.wordpress.com and also owner NBBA group on Facebook), and @Otto Motor (one of the tuners, author at audioreviews.org) himself. For KBEAR’s Diamond model, @Otto Motor and @KopiOkaya (author at audioreviews.org) helped with the tuning, while @Slater (author at audioreviews.org and active Head-Fier) suggested the name. It’s nice to see that Mr. Bairon is able to be in touch with the community… taking it a step further by involving some community members to bring his product to life.

It is clear that Mr. Bairon listens to feedback, and I can only see his company becoming bigger and better. KBEAR and TRI haven’t disappointed yet.

Build quality -

One of the first impressions I got with the TRI i3 was how well built it is. “Life in plastic, it’s fantastic” is the complete opposite of what the TRI i3 has to offer - not a single plastic piece was used in its construction. The only plastic used was on the chin slider (c’mon you cannot take this into consideration), all other parts were made out of metal.

I tried to find something which I didn’t like regarding the build quality. Something like a flaw, but I simply couldn’t find it. I was very pleased with the CNC aluminum alloy construction of the shells, the thicker metal grill, the metal housing for the MMCX, the metal housing of the Y-splitter, the metal housing of the 3.5mm jack.

The only thing which could be improved would be to have a metal chin slider (the same design of the chin slider on the Diamond). Another suggestion (based on my personal preference) would be to have a smaller housing for the 3.5mm (or 2.5mm) jack. I think that it’s more functional to have a smaller housing, it is also sleeker. It’s not as though the housing is too big, it’s more about the length of it, I think that shorter + sleeker ones are not only sexier but more functional - you never want a large “thing” sticking out of your source. At least I don’t, I don’t know about you.

Design - Silver Surfer?

I was thinking to myself: T-1000 (from Terminator 2) or the Silver Surfer? I made the conclusion that it was more like the Silver Surfer. Why? I guess that the Silver Surfer was more silver and shiny… but also more organic.

On a serious note, KBEAR did an excellent job regarding the design. The shells are gorgeous. They have a very organic shape with nice curves. I can say the same about the cable, highly flexible, and of great quality. The cable follows the standards in the industry (in terms of labeling) - red is right, blue is left… oh wait. In this case, it’s clear, but as long as you have one Red/Blue, you will know which one is which. Let’s not forget that the cable is a MCMX 4-core single crystal-copper silver-plated cable. Phew… that was almost like a chemistry element. On a good note, I like how the MCMX connector stays in place and doesn’t rotate too easily. I wish this was a standard with MCMX connectors (usually they are flimsy and spin all over the place)

I appreciate the subtle branding. There isn’t one place where you have KBEAR or TRI logo screaming at you. There is only “TRI” engraved on the Y-splitter, and it reminds me of Final Audio’s branding (in a positive way).

I already mentioned this, but the only thing that I would change would be the included carrying pouch, the one with the Diamond is more functional and convenient.

Comfort -

Those who heard my opinion about my first impressions (only based on 20 minutes with the TRI i3 that I spend when I received them) will know how I feel about the comfort aspect. These are among the most comfortable IEM’s despite their large size. They definitely have a nice weight to them, and you can feel them in your ears.

Ergonomics are 10/10 for me, the fit is perfect and the seal is tight like it should be. The angle of the nozzle and size of the nozzle also suit my ear, it’s very rare to find an IEM which has perfect fit out of the box. It only took me once to change the ear-tips (to the grey ones), and I knew they were the ones.

I don’t remember seeing this is any other IEM, but with the TRI i3’s nozzle (which has a lip), I discovered that you could get two different placements of the ear-tips: one which goes to the bottom of the nozzle (this should be the intended way, since the ear-tips goes below the lip which holds them). In this placement, the nozzle is closer to your ear canal. The second way to place the ear-tips is where they go the bottom of the lip (up to the lip). Mr. Bairon said that he intends people to wear them in the 2nd type of placement (where ear-tips go up to the lip), he said “Sound is more smooth and natural”.

I find this very interesting and pleasing, although I believe that KBEAR didn’t do this intentionally. Usually, the lip is located at the very top of the nozzle, but in TRI i3’s case, it’s placed in the middle of the nozzle. Either way, I like it and would suggest KBEAR to implement this “feature” in their future products.

I do have to say that this is one of the most comfortable IEM’s which I had in my ears.

Driver Flex -

None. Always appreciate no driver flex

Sound -

Lows

The bottom end is well defined, although not quite balanced. The sub-bass is more dominant than the mid-bass, hence why the mid-bass can be lacking the definition and punch at times. It isn’t as tight and present (mid-bass) as you would expect from an IEM of this size.

You have to keep in mind that the TRI i3 features a planar magnetic driver, this means that a good source is a must. I found myself using the Tempotec Serenade iDSD for the majority of the time.

I find it (bass response) heavily depending on the genre, and it varied from song to song - In “Exhale (feat. Sia)” by kenzie, the bass is quite “aggressive” and has a very nice weight, while in some hip-hop (or trap) songs you can feel the lack of the punch.

On a positive note, the TRI i3 is the only IEM that was able to produce the thump in the introduction of “Do I Wanna Know?” by Arctic Monkeys. This is where I initially fell in love with it.

I loved how the TRI i3 kept up with the bassline in Kendrick Lamar’s “LOYALTY. FEAT. RIHANNA.”, it could reproduce the weight and body of the bassline. Overall the bottom end has very good weight, however lacks definition and punch, this is definitely something KBEAR can perfect. And I know that KBEAR is capable of getting it right.

“Lux Aeterna” by Clint Mansell is also a gorgeous composition to listen to for the lows (even though they are very subtle). I think that TRI i3 would benefit from a sub-bass extension (and also perfecting that mid-bass response) Interestingly enough I found that Jade Audio EA3 (my daily driver for the past 6 months) was able to hit lower notes - even in Lux Aeterna, you can notice it. While not a valid comparison, I would still love to see a KBEAR product that is able to reproduce the low region better.

Mids

I have to say that this might be the best region (besides the soundstage) of the TRI i3. I really enjoyed its vocal performance and representation, I would say that they have very present mids. The timbre and overall tonality of the TRI i3 are done very well, it’s able to produce a very accurate sound of the instruments (although it lacks the lower and top-end extension to make the whole mid-range perfect). I do have to say that the mids are leaning towards the warm sound signature. The edge or sparkle is what has been softened.

While I did find them enjoyable for long-listening sessions, I did find the mid-range to be lacking dynamics - I’ll go over this in my conclusion. Mids are slightly forward and more present. This creates a fuller sound characteristic, more “crowded” if you will.

I strongly believe that the sound performance as a whole could be more lively if I found the correct source. I do have to say that the sound performance is a bit lifeless and “flat” (not referring to the frequency response) without the bottom end and top end of the mids.

I came to this conclusion after spending time with the TRI i3 - there isn’t one particular track where this is prominent. I could reference the same tracks as in my previous reviews; In “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen - a highly energetic track. Specifically, at mark 2:17 there should be more of the top end present, this is something I noticed through other songs where vocals are also energetic and “intense”. The same goes for “The Winner Takes It All” by ABBA or several tracks from Lana Del Rey.

This is something exclusive to my personal preference. Take a very clear note of this, because TRI i3 has a very good mid-range performance. I myself like to feel some parts of music. What can happen if you feel (a trait of lower bottom end, and higher top-end) is fatigue. KBEAR went the safe way and didn’t do that. I think the majority of people prefer this sound signature, and this is something you should be aware of. Even though it didn’t meet up to my personal preference, it definitely wasn’t bad. I actually did enjoy using the TRI i3 a lot, especially for vocal tracks. It’s just being nit-picky, that tiny piece which is missing to the puzzle - the piece which puts it all together. What am I trying to say here? The mid-range performance is good!

Highs

While the TRI i3 doesn’t provide the sparkle and energy of the top-end, it is definitely not warm. It has a very clean treble performance, very pleasing to the ear. The top-end is rolled off, and thus some of us will find that it lacks sparkle and delivery of some higher notes.

Getting the treble tuned correctly is much harder than some think, you must know where the fine line is - the line where the treble isn’t bright and fatiguing, but also not too rolled off, to the point where you lose the details and energy from the top-end.

I could definitely feel the lack of the top top-end, especially considering that I listen to dynamic songs with open vocals, some intense guitar solo’s, and also music with the presence of instruments such as the piano or violins.

Jo A Ram’s cover of “Soldier of Fortune” is a perfect example. You can feel that there is a lack of some details, as well as lack of that top top-end which defines the violin itself. This can also be felt in a song that I often use for testing - Travis Scott’s “Stop Trying to Be God”. At mark 5:19 (where Stevie Wonder’s harmonica hits its peak) you can notice that the sparkle is missing.

This being said, don’t take it as though the TRI i3 is warm with the mention of treble being rolled off. I am just referring to the highest notes; besides them, the treble response is very pleasant and clean. This will also depend from source to source, it’s very possible that I haven’t found the “match” for the TRI i3 (I am talking about a source here). One thing is for sure - it’s fatigue-free, so you are safe for long-listening sessions. If you don’t mind the sparkle and are looking for a good and clean treble response which mostly isn’t rolled off, then the TRI i3 should be able to satisfy you.

Soundstage -

The soundstage is quite large. In some cases, it sounded too realistic… very close to an open-back headphone. Perhaps the eerily realistic “The Dogs of War” by Pink Floyd. Oh boy. It sounds very realistic, as though there is a mysterious creature breathing right behind your left ear.

This is seriously a great track, and I suggest you give it a listen- see whether it’s so realistic to the point where it’s scary. It isn’t? You need either a headphone or an IEM like the TRI i3 to experience it.

Can you imagine what this bad boy would do when watching movies? I’m curious too, I still didn’t have much free time to give any movie a watch.

Another track from Pink Floyd - “Dogs”. The guitar which is panned to the left is positioned slightly back. TRI i3 represents this space very well - like it should since this isn’t a very crowded track.

“Wish You Were Here” - Pink Floyd is another good example. You can hear the acoustical guitar being nice and distant (panned to the left), and another acoustical guitar being closer (panned to the right)

While we are talking about Pink Floyd, we cannot miss the track “Dogs” from their 10th album - Animals. I would specifically like to focus on imaging in this track, particularly from mark 3:48 - 3:59. The way TRI i3 was able to capture the drum rolling, it was a very realistic and accurate representation as to where the drum was. The drums roll around your head, and it’s gorgeous and enjoyable! As some say, it’s a holographic soundstage. Using this exact song, I found that Jade Audio EA3 (which is a much lower priced item) was keeping up with the imaging of the drums quite well (for its price)!

Lastly, how can we not include Fleetwood Mac. Let’s just take their record “The Chain - 2004 Remaster” - Blows your brains out in terms of both imaging and soundstage. The guitar panned to the left goes far beyond the IEM’s themselves. TRI i3 was able to very accurately reproduce that the guitar was located on the left, but it was more than capable of just representing that it was located on the left - it was able to reproduce that it was located behind the vocals. The interesting thing is that here it’s more about the depth than the width; I say this because the guitar isn’t panned far left, rather it’s fairly close to the singer, but it is very audible that it is placed behind the vocals.

I couldn’t find an IEM which was able to compete with TRI i3 in terms of the soundstage and imaging. Jade Audio EA3 could be mentioned only if we took width into consideration… When it comes to depth, it simply couldn’t keep up with the incredible accuracy and representation of the TRI i3.

Conclusion -

This is exactly what I wanted to hear from the TRI i3. A very mature performance. I think that the soundstage and imaging alone would be the selling point of these bad boys, but you can’t forget to mention the other fields in which TRI i3 has a very good performance. There is always field for improvement, this is why I took my time to give as much feedback as possible in this review. I think it is crucial, especially for a company that didn’t release many models yet. Most of the critics I gave were given due to the price range of the TRI i3, so keep this in mind.

TRI i3 is a fatigue-free IEM, but that fatigue-free characteristic has its traits. Due to the absence of the top top-end, and the weight and definition of the lower end (mainly mid-bass), TRI i3 can definitely have a much better dynamic range and definition of sound. This isn’t to say that it was bad, actually quite the opposite - it was good. There is always better than the “good”, and I strongly believe you should keep an eye on KBEAR and what models it will release in the future.

I am very pleased to say that I can recommend the TRI i3. It’s a great IEM and one which has a very mature performance, especially in its price range.

(Removed the feedback part which is directed at the manufacturer, you can still read it on Head-Fi)

9 Likes

Excellent review! Nice job with the photos as well. :+1:t4:

1 Like

Thank you! Greatly appreciate it =)

1 Like

Nice review, well written. One think I’m always asking however, is “How much will it hurt my wallet?”
So, what’s the suggested retail price? What’s the direct competition? Where can I find it?, and is it discountable?

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words!
The retail price (it’s actually around $250 but haven’t seen it at that price for some time already) is $170 . You can get it at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000357362499.html
I think there may be more AE stores that sell it, so you’d have to check where you get the best price. If AE is not an option, I think places like Linsoul or Penon should have it.

I’m in contact with Mr. Bairon - the owner, so I could always try to ask for a discount. I guess it depends if you just want to get it or would be interested in writing a review, as though the manufacturer is more open to give a reviewer discount. Or you could use AE discounts from friend referral (can also help you with that).

You really would have to ask some more experienced members about the competition, I know that the sub-200 category is very crowded. I think few will be able to compete in terms of the soundstage and imaging. I think that the driver configuration is unique, and certainly good sounding. There are sooo many companies, but most are a part of the hype train. TRI i3 isn’t and do take clear note: It needs a very good source! Some people consider this a TOTL for the price, and others just have it as their daily driver. I did hear from a Head-Fier (who has gone through a ton of IEM’s) that the TRI i3 is in his top 5-6 IEM’s. I could ask him what the other top IEM’s are, so let me know if you want me to do that

EDIT: I want to very clearly state that I have no affiliation or have any financial benefit from KBEAR. I’m just here to help and share my opinion, and help somebody if I can do that.

5 Likes

There have been several scattered posts about the Sedna Earfit Xelastec tips here and on other forums, and I thought it might be helpful to offer some brief impressions.

The marketing pitch, on Amazon at least, is that the “shape changes softly by body heat after a few minutes to fit the various shape of the ear canal without any stress” and that it “absorbs body heat energy and getting more elastic property so it can fit better to the ear and gives perfect seal.”

I was skeptical but have found that both claims stand up to scrutiny. In the first few seconds I didn’t get a good seal and was initially disappointed. I fiddled with the fit for a few moments and suddenly, almost out of nowhere, everything fell into place. The same thing happened on other, separate occasions when they were at room temperature - apparently the Xelastec tips do indeed need to warm up in the ear to create a good seal. Just give them 20-30 seconds. Or cup them in the palm of your hand before inserting them.

This was a joy to discover because I’m someone who has a torrid time getting a good seal from tips, at least with shallow-fitting IEMs. (I usually rely on foam tips for IEMs that have a deep insertion). To put this in perspective, here’s how bad it can be for me to get a proper seal: back at CanJam this February I tried to audition a dozen IEMs using different tips. I only got a good seal with two IEMs, the Final Audio A8000, which were a bit too bright for my taste, and the CA Solaris. By contrast, I didn’t get a decent seal with the CA Andromeda, QDC Anole XV, 64 Audio U12t, Sony IER-M9, Noble Tux5, Empire Ears Bravado, Valkyrie, or Wraith, the Meze Rai Penta, and the Jerry Harvey Lola. Man, it was depressing and frustrating - all that audio glory right there in my ears and yet agonizingly just beyond my grasp…

I picked up the Xelastec tips the other day in anticipation of buying a pair of the CA Andro 2020. I’d been braced for disappointment as well as the possibility of having to sell the IEMs if, after lots more tip rolling, I didn’t have any success. (I’ve yet to try other Sedna Earfit tips, Ortofon tips, or JVC Spiral Dots). I’m happy to report that the Xelastecs create a perfect seal and that they’re comfortable for long use. They’re also sticky enough to stay in place. And they are surprisingly forgiving in that they don’t need much if any fiddling to get them to fit correctly, and the IEMs can move about quite a bit without them losing their seal, so I should think they’re good if you’re on the move. If you have the OG Solaris, they might be particularly useful.

They worked for me when others didn’t, among them the Spinfits, Symbios, various foam and silicone tips, including the Final Audio E tips, and double- and triple-flange tips.

If you’re someone who has a hard time with the shallow-fitting IEMs, these might be a godsend for you. I’d highly recommend a pair for auditioning new IEMs. They can be purchased on the Amazon US and Japan websites; they come in single-size packs as well as variety packs.

4 Likes

Full agreement here from me. It’s been shocking to be able to get a great seal/fit with IEMs that I typically struggle with. Best tips I’ve tried! Shows what can be done with clever engineering. I hope there’s more innovations on this front.

1 Like

NICHE Universal IEM’s

Have you heard of the below and/or do you own or have experience?

PEARS SH-3 - have it, like it?
DUNU LUNA - high end, worth money?
CUSTOMART FIBAE 7 - was in top 5s, new to me
FITEAR 335 - can’t figure where to buy
QDC - VX is unreal, experience other model?
LIME EAR - x model or aether?

Not niche, but do you own Sony IEM? I hear flagship Z1R is fatiguing. Yes or No?

2 Likes

SH3 - I own one in custom form. I do enjoy the tuning but I do acknowledge it’s colored. I’d describe the overall tuning as midforward. Very nice (but colored) vocal range.

Luna - IMHO, overhyped and overpriced. The tuning is weird. It also has a HF rolloff that I did not enjoy. Forums all speak about the “speed” of the Luna but I don’t hear that. Perhaps preconceived bias, I don’t know.

FIBAE7 - A midforward tuning like the SH3 but less colored. The articulation of vocals are drool-worthy here. However it does roll off faster than the SH3 while I felt the lack of treble affects its technical performance.

335 - I’d avoid fitear. Most, if not all fitears roll off hard past 10khz. They lack treble extension massively. 335 in particular is very bassy and lacks any presence of treble above 10k which sounds very very low resolution to me.

VX - I do think 4ss and qdc8sl/Gemini is worth a shot. The 8sl/Gem has a somewhat close tuning to the VX but with less treble spike (and also a little more bass). They are my favourite qdc. With regards to their hybrids, Fusion gets a big pass from me while dmagic is very colored but I somehow still enjoy the presentation of the staging. qdc isn’t “there” yet with their hybrids but their VX/8sl/Gem are of excellent performance and detail. 8sh is shrill and 8ss is blunted sounding so I’d avoid those. 4ss is a warm monitor that is in all ways an upgrade to the fitear 334.

Lime Ears - Model X is a bright iem that can turn into a warm monitor with a flick of the switch. Pretty decent and somewhat similar tuning to the hidition nt6. Aether was discontinued but it had a rather nice (albeit colored) tone with good technical performance to boot. Aether R is the successor but the tuning is so odd and weird.

Sony - Z1R has to be absolutely deepfitted. Without deepfitting the sound can be harsh. It has a v-shaped tuning (but done differently) where the entire midrange (lower and uppermid) is recessed relative to its bass and treble. Typically with v-shaped iems they either recess the lower or uppermid but in this case they do both. I can’t say that I personally am a fan of the tuning but it does sound expansive and grand. Has a big, slow and high decay bass (that I honestly found moderately bloated) and a treble that renders instruments like crash cymbals rather well with its evenness when deepfitted.

The Sony IER-M9 is a downslope-shaped IEM that has a rather pleasant tone but lacks in the uppermidrange and lowtreble response for me, leading to a laidback and dull tuning.

9 Likes

Wow, amazing response!! Thanks. :grin:

1 Like

I will try the Xelastecs. I feel a pretty good seal with the Final Audio Type E’s but willing to experiment. I use size Large…are the Xelastecs sized similarly to the Type E’s? Wish they had a variety pack on Amazon.

Great info, thanks Toranku

1 Like

Tried a few and here are some thoughts.

Pears - Own a custom pair. Very good tuning. Slightly forward sounding with good treble presence. Bass is fairly detailed and fast though it seem to roll off a bit in the lowest frequency and is a tad bass lite for most hip hop and pop genre. Great for guitars and vocals. Personally it’s one my favorite tuning compared to other custom iem. Fantastic build quality.

Fibae7 - Had a brief listen. Found its’s treble very muted and overall a lot warmer sound sounding than the pears. Mids are pretty good though.

Fitear 335 - Had an hour long listen in Japan. Very dark sounding and very bassy and treble is very muted. Cumbersome to get outside Japan.

VX - Tried a friend’s pair. Very detail iem. Has a certain wow factor on first listening but find it fatiguing about 30 mins in. Apart from the peaky treble I like it.

Z1R - Own a pair. V shape tuning so mid range takes a back seat. Excellent treble, possibly my favorite for iems. Bass is very well articulated and have a sort of tactile feel to it. Soundstage is amazing and gives a very grand feel. Personally I’d skip the 335 and look at this. Has better clarity in the mids than the 335 with better bass and treble presentation. Not to mention it’s cheaper ($1699).

1 Like

They do - see here!

I’ll go compare the sizes of the Xelastec and Final E tips and will get back to you soon.

2 Likes