IEMs Discovery & General Discussion

Oh snap how did I miss that? Haha thank you! Do let me know if you find out the sizing. Otherwise will get the variety pack

2 Likes

To offer a contrary opinion on the Xelastec tips-- I currently have two sets (ML and L) and while they are comfy the material used is very weirdly textured and will lose its transparency almost immediately-- so if you want to keep them clean it will take a lot of work. Further I don’t like their sound as much as my OG Sednas. I find the Xelastecs to diminish bass impact/extension a wee bit and in a situation like mine, where my IEM under normal conditions has EXACTLY the right amount of bass for me I find this very noticeable and have gone back to my OG Sednas as my tip of choice. Sednas (whatever flavor) are unquestionably the best tips on the market right now though.

5 Likes

I’ve recently discovered the joys of using OTL tube amps. Love the wetness added to the sound. Lots of grain is gone, wonky tunings are much more coherent, and treble feels extremely natural no matter what headphone is being used. Are there any daps with this kind of smoothness? I was thinking of going for a Cayin N6ii with an A01 module for a warmer, smoother listening time. Or would it be better to look for something else around that price range? Currently using the AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt. My IEMs are the FiiO FH7, FA7, and the Moondrop Blessing 2.

2 Likes

I apologize for the crude, less than scientifically rigorous illustrations below (I hesitate to call them “measurements”). I had a two-year-old cat volunteering as my assistant, and while the tape measure suddenly became the best toy ever so the best game ever became the “swatting ear tips” game. Apparently, the silicone tips that come with the CA Andromeda 2020 bounce the furthest, with the SpinFits not far behind them.

left to right:

Spinfit (L) | CA Andro 2020 stock silicone (L) | Symbio W (L) | Xelastec (L) | Final E (L?) | Final E (LL?)

Note: I’m not certain about the size of the Final E tips. They’re the two largest I have in my collection but I can’t be entirely positive that they are indeed the L and LL. Sorry.

6 Likes

Thank you for this - good to know - I’ll get some of the OG Sendas! Do you use the regular or the short Sedna Earfits, i.e. these or these?

You inspired me to compare some others with the Xelastec tips for their bass heft and extension. My sample is limited to those few tips with which I can get a proper seal for my Andro 2020. They’re Spinfits, Final E tips, and a pair of generic white silicone tips that came with my Massdrop Plus. Of these, the Xelastecs had the weightiest and deepest bass. I’d rank them in this order:

Xelastec > Massdrop Plus silicone > Final E > Spinfit.

2 Likes

I have both regular and short-- I used regular on my Legend X when I had it and I use short on my Solaris due to its longer nozzle.

3 Likes

I thought you quit audio…!? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::upside_down_face::smirk::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

@Tchoupitoulas :joy: That’s hilarious re your :cat2:! Thank you so much for going through the trouble and really helpful visual! The size differences between the two Final E’s seem right as LL and L.

Thanks too @jrockwell for the input! I’ll also get the OG Sednas to try out.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve tried a few of these, quick thoughts with my review link:

Luna
Not worth the money, but alright IEM. Good resolution and speed. Tonality is a bad harsh and bright. Fit can be problematic.

Customart Fibae 7
Good warm DF tuning. Very boring, but not bad at all. Nothing bad about it but nothing exceptional either. Easy to enjoy. May want more for the price.

qdc Anole VX
It’s great. Best IEM in my opinion. I owned it for a year but recently sold it.Still think it is the best.

Sony IER-Z1R
I couldn’t get this to fit very well and it suffers for it. Bad fit for me meant heavy bass bloat, disjointed coherence, and very shrill treble. Too hot.

10 Likes

I have the Cayiin N6ii with both the A01 and the E01 modules. The A01 has an AK4497EQ Dac chipset, whilst the E01 uses the Ess 9038pro Dac (I just popped this info in just incase anyone wasn’t familiar with the said modules). Last night I went back to the A01 module after having used the E01 exclusively for about 6 weeks. To my surprise on first listen the A01 actually sounds brighter and ever so more lean when compared to the E01. Soundstage too is better and more euphonic on the E01. At least this is whilst using my U18t’s.

It was only a quick comparison and today I intend to look into it more.

3 Likes

Thanks Antdroid! Truly appreciate the thoughts, a few follow ups…

Why sell the VX? Did you replace it?

I mentioned in another forum I’m in love with them as well. Cost aside, what’s ur top 5 IEM choice?

As of now, in no order, my top 5 is VX, PP8, PMX, tia Fourte, Mason v3+. Next 2 - Layla AION, Final Audio 8000. Only one dont own is 8000 - thanks Tony O (audio46)

Iems on the way — being shipped — Ultrasone Saphire, Blessing 2, and Erlkonig.

Iems I’d like to try or get — a campfire, Sony, Hidition, isine, 2nd QDC, POSSIBLY Etymotic?, MAYBE FIR, Jomo Trinity, Kumitate is intriguing.

All, It seems I’m in the minority, but I value fit very highly. I wear them alot so fatigue is a no no.

2 Likes

You’re getting to listen to some wonderful TOTL iem’s. I’m jealous. Please let us know how you get on and your thoughts on them.

1 Like

Just offering some insight :wink:

Campfire - I’d recommend trying the Andro2020. I do think its easily the strongest in their lineup. One of my favourite warm iems that still retains good upper end extension.

Sony - M9 is a warm iem that often finds itself pitted with the Andro. I prefer M9 over the old Andromeda but between the new one it would be difficult to pick.

Hidition I’d recommend trying the Viento B but its tough to get ahold of, and CS can be a pita with language barriers.

FiR I’d just skip because they all lean towards a brighter treble and also sound overdamped at the same time.

Trinity has a typical chifi v-shape kind of tuning.

Kumitate makes nice looking iems but sound wise they do have a uppermid-oriented house sound but on a technical level they arent so proficient

4 Likes

I havent used them in a while and with WFH during COVID I dont use IEMs a lot. I also just bought two CIEMs this year so they take up my IEM time (Hidition Viento-B and Thieuadio Legacy 3)

My top 5 I’ve heard that are easy recs for most people:

qdc Anole VX - resolution champ and good bass, plus great fit
64 Audio U12t - very likeable sound signature with good technical chops
Hidition Viento-B - reference tuning with great coherency
Unique Melody MEST - Exciting IEM with interesting dynamics, soundstage, and an unique experience coming from other IEMs while not sounding off either.
Vision Ears VE8 - Warm bodied, laid back tuning. Totally different than the rest.

I havent heard everything though. Still need to listen to the Sony M9, 64A Nio, and a few others.

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Vision Ears Custom and Universal IEMs – Offical Thread

I had the same experience with the A01. I quite liked it when I first got the n6ii but after getting the E01 there’s no going back to the A01. I’ve spent the better part of the last month with the PAW S1 and PAW6K and while they are both great after going back to my n6ii + E01 combo for a revisit this weekend I’ve decided to return the P6K and relegate the PAW S1 to a secondary source. The E01 is such a unique, addicting, revealing and punchy sound-- and still my favorite source for my Solaris.

Just to play devil’s advocate here I’d advise you to strongly consider the Solaris. In my opinion it’s Campfire’s most well-rounded offering and it’s the best all-rounder I’ve personally heard. YMMV, and all that. (In other news I’m excited to be getting an Andro 2020 this week…will be nice to finally spend some time with one and give it a good a/b with m Solaris SE.).

2 Likes

I really think the Solaris is going to be my next Iem. I have followed your journey this last year and I think that the solaris may be just what I need. My tastes seem to be maturing ever so slightly. I have found that I don’t always need loads of treble to get clarity and detail. I am still not a bass head by any means but I am really starting to appreciate a good mix of both highs and lows. The Cayiin N6ii has been a revelation to me. My music has never sounded so good. I have also put away the A01 module the E01 has that extra magic. Just a shame it doesn’t have the outputs of the A01.

5 Likes

That’s exciting news…I look forward to your thoughts if you decide to pick one up. Yes the n6ii + E01 is pretty special…it’s easily the best sounding mid-fi portable source I’ve heard. (The N8 trumps it but that’s way too much $$ for me.) I’m probably going to pick up an E02 board just to indulge my fetish for 4.4 connections.

1 Like

I would be interested on your thoughts about the E02. I would have loved an N8 Dap but like you say that’s a heck of a lot of cash. I would like to hear the Tube Module with the N8. Have you heard it?

Yes I preferred the SE output through my Solaris though.

1 Like