iFi Audio - Official Brand Thread

Given the range of LDAC from a phone, in most cases, at least when it’s in “Quality Priority” mode, you’re probably not going to be far enough away from the thing to really need remote control anyway.

LDAC (and HWA) are still variable bit-rate codecs and quality drops off in larger chunks as distance increases than is the case for the more aggressively compressed codecs (e.g. aptX and AAC).

Not that having to reach around the back of the thing is ideal, but we’re talking about a Bluetooth receiver here, not a WiFi/LAN streamer.

1 Like

yes I know about the variable bit-rates and hoped for a way better antenna signal, than the usual device to device with mini build in antennas like mobile phone to Earstudio ES100

I sit about 4,5m away from our TV with at least 6-7 Wifi devices running in this room
you are right - this little box will have to be next to me for the optimal signal

I can leave it on digital outputs and use coax+spdif to 2 dacs - no problem

1 Like

Ifi bridge is new programmed app

It is a UPnP / DLNA app solution for playback on Roon …
comes to late for the iDSD Pro(aka Thunder-Curry … or so right @pennstac?) test by Ian @Torq - was a point you mentioned, if I remember correctly.
also no iOS support - just Windows, if I understand the information text under the video

no moe was spanked in this comment -referring to this:Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC - Official Thread

5 Likes

It’s better that nothing, I suppose … and it’ll let Roon users control the device via the Roon interface … but it’s a kludgy hack in my opinion and not the same as having the Pro iDSD be a native Roon (RAAT) end-point.

• It isn’t using RAAT, it’s using LMS mode to talk to Roon and then acting as a DLNA server AND controller to give the Pro iDSD something to talk to. Which will cause synchronization/timing issues with actual RAAT devices in multi-endpoint, multi-room and/or streamer + aux display configurations.

• If you’re not using a Windows machine as your Roon Core, this requires another machine to be running (either all the time, or for you to manually launch the Bridge application when you want to listen). You’d be better off with a $50 Raspberry Pi 4 and Ropieee … (which, incidentally, DOES run RAAT and will work with other DACs).

• Using this “bridge” you’ve now got two different protocols, and twice the network overhead (and latency), to talk to one class of device (if you don’t know why this is an issue, spend some time on the Roon support forums).

• It seems to be a user-mode desktop application, which you have to leave running - rather than a headless background service (I don’t run Windows, and am not about to start, so I can’t verify that, but that is how it looks).

On the upside, it’s free and it looks like it will work with ANY DLNA/UPnP streamer, not just the iFi Pro iDSD.

Even had this been available at launch, it would not have changed my interest in the Pro iDSD. Native Roon (RAAT) support, with Roon certification, is a requirement for me in any streaming-capable device. Especially given the alternatives at this level.

5 Likes

@MRHifiReviews here we can continue the conversation!

@resolve currently uses higher end iFi amp, and I’ve tried a bunch of them, I’ve enjoyed majority of their gear! I still keep the Nano in my backpack as an emergency DAC amp Lol. The iCan is a great combo amp for solid state and tube hybrid…but I’ve only briefly listened to it.

1 Like

Thank you Tyler! @TylersEclectic I am interested in reading more about their higher end gear for fun! I wonder what @Resolve ‘s favorite IFI amp Dac is that he has auditioned so far?

Check this thread for the iCan pro

1 Like

I need one of each lol, maybe one day…

I bet that setup would be sweet!

1 Like

I’ve heard it… it is very nice! But for the price I would go Phonitor X and a Bifrost2 lol

Or the ican amp and a Bifrost2

Edit: just my humble opinion just to be clear!

1 Like

Oh I’m not dropping that kinda cash right now!! It’s interesting to hear though on the higher end what people like to pair!!

1 Like

At the end of the day it comes down to the individual preference in not only sound signature, but, function, capability and aesthetics (this plays a big part for some)…also, use case and the individual need/want out of a product and most importantly all those things inside of a budget, depending on the budget and what is most important to that individual will dictate what takes a hit or not in the different departments lol

3 Likes

I did a review of the Pro iCAN a few years back, for those that are interested in additional thoughts.

4 Likes

This was a great read! I still like the look of the iFi unit but even more so today does the new Schiit stacks offer a great value…once again my opinion… but all above factors, the iFi is a great device especially when considering all they packed into it!

2 Likes

Great review!!

1 Like

No truer words have ever been spoken about audio (and many other things).

2 Likes

The portable ifi hip DAC/Amp is launched

https://hifipig.com/ifi-hip-dac-portable-usb-dac-headphone-amp/

doesn’t it look nice?
As a petrol fan, it had me from the first look

4 Likes

I’ve had the Hip DAC in the office for the last two weeks. It’s a great little unit, definitely reminds me of the FiiO Q1 MK 2 in terms of build. The USB C charge is fantastic and the build is very solid. I’ve been pairing it with a pair of LCD-2s and it’s performed very well.

iFi Claims 12 hours of battery life on the unit but I haven’t put it to the test yet to see if that holds true. It’s definitely the most portable unit from iFi’s lineup due to its form factor.

6 Likes

yes it reminded me of the Q1 II I have kept as backup after a few weeks usage before I got the xDSD(stayed) and Chord Mojo(sold)
the brass volume knob with the petrol body is a cool design choice
Hope to get my hands on a Hip DAC in near future
as I don’t have hard to drive hf at the moment, the xDSD won’t go anywhere
For 149 - it’s a quite powerful little unit. Burr Brown implementation is nice to see again
wish they had included a modern Bluetooth solution with LDAC support though

2 Likes

Ooh, shiny! I wonder if this would be a good replacement for the NiBL?

Oh… wasn’t expecting that from iFi. Will be interesting to try it at CanJam if they bring it (I’d imagine they will). I like that they are coming out with products that are in the “affordable” category to compete with some of the Fiio and other products.

3 Likes