iFi Pro iCAN

Relaxing with Milo

Hey Guys,

Today we are talking about an absolute Swiss army knife of an amplifier, the iFi Audio Pro iCAN. Not only does this amp sound great, it can do pretty much….everything!

iFi Audio is a British company that was founded in 2012. It is a subsidiary of AMR Audio, which has a long history of making stereo equipment. iFi has always struck me as a company that focuses more on headphone and personal audio, but that does seem to be changing lately, and they are branching out into other areas (see the iFi “Aurora” all in one for an example of this.) Their products are innovative, and seem to prioritise functionality as well as sonic performance.

The “Pro” line up launched with Pro iCAN that we are talking about today, but has since seen the introduction of the iESL (for electrostatic headphones) and the Pro iDSD DAC (which I will be talking about in a new review in a few days, another great bit of gear.)

The Pro iCAN, which I will just refer to as the iCAN from here on out, is a small desktop sized amplifier. It features, not one, but two true tube modes, as well as a fully solid state mode. Talk about flexibility! You can switch between these modes on the fly with a flip of the switch, and it takes about 5 seconds for each mode to engage. The iCAN also features the best implementation I have heard of iFi’s “XBass” feature, as well as their take on crossfeed, the “3D” feature. I didn’t use the “3D” feature too often, but it does work well on some tracks, and the “XBass” feature is a tasteful boost at three different levels. I think it really depends on the headphones you are using when it comes to determining which of these levels and features you will want to use, and of course, your personal preference will play a role as well.

Almost every connection you can think of!

The iCAN is a bit of a mini powerhouse, it doesn’t take up much space, but it puts out 14,000mw at peak output levels, and with its 3 gain settings, can run everything from sensitive IEMs, to the Hifiman Susvara and HE6. Not many amps can boast such flexibility. Now, if you try to listen at enthusiastic levels, with both the “XBass” and “3D” features on with the Susvara or HE6, the amp will likely go into protection mode as it is starting to struggle, but apart from that it will have no troubles driving them.

I think the iCAN has a similar sound signature across its three output modes, SS, Tube, and Tube +. The two tube modes are noticeably different from the SS mode, but they seem to maintain a similar sound signature and are not warm and gooey as some people expect tubes to be. The two tube modes seem to round off the edges of notes and make things a bit easier to listen to, but it will really depend on your headphones and preferences as to which mode you will prefer. I ended up using Tube mode with my Abyss, but SS mode with the Susvara. With something like the Focal Utopia, I could see Tube mode being used, and with the ZMF Eikon, maybe SS mode. The flexibility the iCAN offers, again, is tremendous.

I would describe the Pro iCAN as a fairly neutral sounding amp, perhaps leaning to colder and clinical at times, but not in a bad way, its just not a warm, fuzzy, and thick sounding amp.

The iCANs technical performance was quite impressive, from dynamic swings to detail rendering. It perhaps doesn’t make the Susvara and hard to drive headphones slam as hard as a speaker amp, but it has no troubles powering them, and does more than an acceptable job at bringing out the positive qualities of said headphones.

I tried comparing the iCAN to my iDSD Black Label, which is also made by iFi. The Micro iDSD BL is a fantastic transportable all in one unit, I really love it. However, perhaps it is not fair to compare it to a standalone desktop amp, but as both units are made by iFi I gave it a shot. As an amp only, the Pro iCAN, apart from being what seemed like infinitely more powerful, was more detailed and neutral sounding. The Micro iDSD seemed to have a tiny bit bloom that the Pro iCAN did not, as well as less detail. I still hold the Micro iDSD BL in very high regard as a transportable all in one, but its amp section was indeed beaten quite handily by its big brother. No surprises there I suppose.

iFi Audio has come up true Swiss army knife of an amp with the Pro iCAN, and it really doesn’t do anything wrong! It can power sensitive IEMs without hiss, it can power most of the hardest to drive headphones on the market, it has bass enhancement and crossed implementations, and is both a SS and tube amp. I think it sounds fantastic, especially for the sale prices I have seen it available at on occasion (about $1299USD, and about $1000USD used.) I have even seen one unit sell for $850USD! At these prices, this amp is not only an excellent recommendation, but is a very solid value compared to some of the other options on the market.

With a tower of planar goodness!

The iFi Pro iCAN gets a very thorough recommendation from me, especially if you are looking for “one amp to rule them all.” I could see this amp being a reviewers dream come true, as it is so truly flexible. Great job and congratulations to the team at iFi for creating such a stand out product. I really enjoyed my time with the Pro iCAN, and to this day, consider purchasing one on occasion, even though I don’t truly need it!

Thanks for taking the time to read this review.

9 Likes

Nice review. Agree, this is definitely a swiss army knife of amps. I got mine as part of a combo deal with the Audeze LCD3, cuz I wanted the LCD3 and figured I could sell the amp later; liked it so much I kept it. Really like being able to switch up to a hybrid tube mode to change up the sound some.

1 Like

i may strongly consider upgrading to one of these when 4.4mm version comes out.

You’re thinking of the Pro iDSD …

That’s out now. They supposedly will be updating all their units to 4.4mm balanced in the future from what I’ve heard.

Interesting.

I heard a rumor that new products might use 4.4mm rather than existing ones getting an update. Either way, it’s overdue.

2 Likes

Really great review. I always look forward to them.

I did a review of this a few years back, for those that are interested in additional thoughts.

7 Likes

Great review! :+1::star::star::star::star::star:

2 Likes

Just putting my video review here for reference:

6 Likes

Great review, Andrew.

I’d buy one… in BLACK. :blush:

Hopefully a future Black Label addition…

1 Like

iFi iCan Pro Review.

A multi tool for all.

In a few words, that’s exactly what the Fi iCan Pro is for me… You have several inputs and outputs which come very handy if you have several DAC’s and/or headphones.

The AMP size is very convenient and quite powerful @ 14W, I was very impressed. The iCan Pro can drive the inefficient HiFiMan HE-560 with ease, at 9db gain.

I have not had any need to bump it to 20db, as 9db drove my headphones just fine… I Never had to go past 11 o’clock.

I did try the 20db and 9 o’clock was already too much. lol. If you don’t have the need for that kind of power, 9db is just fine.

There is a few reason why I went with this AMP

• Various type of outputs
    • XLR – 3 Pin x 2 6.3mm TRS x 2 (iFi SEC balanced system)
    • 6.3mm TRS x 2 (use right jack for unbalanced headphones, however it is possible to drive two separate headphones simultaneously).
    • 3.5mm TRS (with built-in iEMatch – output matched to high-sensitivity headphones).
    • XLR – 4 Pin Balanced.
  • Multiple inputs
    • Balanced/XLR x 1.
    • RCAs x 3.
  • Multiple outputs
    • Balanced/XLR Output.
    • RCA Outputs.
  • X Bass Correction System.
  • 3D Holographic for Headphones.
  • Form factor:
    • 213(l) x 192.5(w) x 63.3(h) mm

The multiple types of headphone outputs alone was a plus for me, I was looking for an AMP that I can use to drive all my headphones (Open back/Closed Back/IEM’s).

Sound to me was perfect and while this is subjective, the iCan Pro did an amazing job at driving my Edition X, LCD3, Ether Flow 1.1, and my Moondrops.

I am a fan of iFi’s XBass and 3D+; One of the main reasons I went with the iCan Pro. I come from the Schiit Jotunheim and my biggest pet peeve with it was the lack of bass presentation it had for me, very rich on highs and mid’s, but lacked low’s. I had to use a Schiit Loki to fix some of those issues.

This is where the XBass correction comes in and makes all that better for us bass heads :stuck_out_tongue:

Having multiple options for bass range was amazing, compared to the iCan SE, this was a good option, although not all music needs a bass correction.

The formfactor was also a win for me as I have limited space, I was able to stack it with my Schiit Bifrost 2 and it was just a tad larger but works out just fine.

The iCan Pro is also known for its three stage of operations (Solid-State/Tube/Tube+):

• Solid-State mode: is a pure, solid-state circuit and uses J-FETs and is fully-discrete Class A.

• Solid state mode was not it for me, As much as I try to like it, the iCan Pro felt a bit short.
  • Tube mode: 2 x NOS GE5670s are engaged with the J-FET circuitry switched out for an all-valve Class A operation.

• Tube mode was the sweet spot for me as it brought some presentation of highs and mids forward with a mix of nice XBass.
  • Tube+ mode: reduces negative feedback to a minimum. As a result, a greater amount of the tubes’ natural harmonics are produced (Even Order harmonics dominate).

• Tube+ was a big no for me as it was too warm for my taste.

One thing I do have to point out is that the glowing orange light coming from the tube window, is an LED, and not emitting from the tube.

Being a Class A AMP, we will expect the AMP to get very hot… no exception here… The iCan gets very hot so I put some rubber boots to create separation between the Bifrost 2 and the iCan Pro.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not have spent the money on all of the AMPS I have gone through, instead, go straight to the iFi iCan pro.

If you are looking for a versatile AMP that has multiple types of headphone outputs and multiple inputs/outputs and can deliver clean power… This is your huckleberry.

Enjoy.

10 Likes

Nice review.

That lighting system goes well with the orange led glow of the ifi! :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Thanks @ValentineLuke :+1:

1 Like

Somehow contrived to miss this one. Excellent write-up as always, and kinda reinforces my wanting one even though I may do better saving up for a more “sensible”, less multi-tool amp, haha.

Great review. Nice pictures too.

2 Likes

Thanks @prfallon69 :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Guys! I wanted to drop my new review here of the iFi Pro iCAN, I hope you enjoy it! Big thanks to iFi Audio for the extended demo! Listen with Headphones if possible and watch in 4k if possible.

8 Likes

Does the iCan still compete? Anything better for price? Does. It. Slap?

2 Likes

Honestly I still think it’s awesome. The versatility makes it a dream for using different headphones, and the solid state stage is up there with the SPL Phonitor amps, though a very different flavor.

Davie504
S L A P approved :guitar:

5 Likes