I'm Sailing Away

Selling audio gear, I find a pain, but in the last few years, I got to a point of getting in touch with local audio club members and putting the item for sale to the group. If it sold good , if not I just traded it at a local store.

2 Likes

Ironically, Iā€™ve had no issues, beyond the usual pre-sale tire-kickers, endless-question-askers, chronic low-ballers and people that want to trade half a dozen random cheap half-broken/incomplete items for one big, like-new, piece, with any of the ā€œnormalā€ stuff Iā€™ve sold.

Itā€™s only been the hard-to-get/unique/special stuff that has ever caused post-sale issues.

5 Likes

Two schools of thought:

• I donā€™t give a shit how it sounds, as long as it measures well.

• I donā€™t give a shit how it measures, as long as I like how it sounds.

I am firmly in the camp of the latter.

I donā€™t care if it is ā€œhow the artist intendedā€* if I donā€™t enjoy it.

*Youā€™re fooling yourself anyway; YOUR chain is NOT what the artist heard.

21 Likes

One of the best bass players I ever met, played one of the best sets I ever heard him play, and pissed himself in the middle of it.

Iā€™m not all that interested in his intent.

10 Likes

I might be a bit curious as to his intentā€¦ but Iā€™m just curious by nature.

Amen :pray:.

6 Likes

Every time someone comes in and starts this conversation up all over again, I groan and think of the long blonde hair dude from this scene. I donā€™t know why. I just do.

11 Likes

Third school of thought: I donā€™t care how it sounds or measures, but want it to look good. B&O, Beats, Apple, McIntosh, and a zillion niche brandsā€¦

10 Likes

This is one of the worst part of many headphone forums. I tend to think of it as:

1. People who who think they can know what something sounds like without or before listening to it.

2. People who learn from listening.

I prefer to be in the latter group.

However, I can admit to the appeal of the former, especially, when Iā€™ve been hampered in my choices by lack of funds and am impatient by nature. Iā€™d love to be able to know what is gonna sound best and have a definitive winner that is verifiably the best.

As Iā€™ve gotten older (get off my lawn) and have more disposable income and more patience, I realized that the journey is actually more fun and there is no final destination.

6 Likes

Indeed. How are the Crack and Eikon working out? I believe thatā€™s what you landed on.

2 Likes

Really loving them! This is my first tube amp adventure and Iā€™m enjoying myself. I have definitely noticed that there are some changes in FR, but I havenā€™t had the motivation to listen analytically. Itā€™s just a really fun pairing for classic rock, pop, hip-hop, and jazz.

4 Likes

Two schools of thought:

1. Worry about measurements, Eat a salad tonight and be healthy. Live a long life.

2. Donā€™t care about measurements, Eat some spam and live for tonight!

Iā€™m firmly in the camp of the latter!

6 Likes

I do agree with that statement. :notes:

1 Like

youā€™re saying it ainā€™t the meat itā€™s the motion, right?

1 Like

Great to hear. I used to own the Eikon and they do especially well with those genres. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Sitting here, staring at the pile of boxes into which all of this audio gear has to be packed really reinforces my desire for a single DAC, amplifier and headphone combination.

In fact, in a moment of wine-soaked reverie ā€¦ I seriously contemplated just selling my main rig and headphone collection, buying a Sennheiser HE1 and calling it good.

This, I thought, was an excellent plan. No choices beyond the music, I thought. Just fire up Roon or grab a record ā€¦ and listen, I thought. Only one package to move, I thought. And it would cost less than what Iā€™d be selling, I thought. This, I thought, was a plan with no issues.

But, as the wine began to wear off I realized it does have issues ā€¦

The first issue is that, Iā€™ve heard the HE1.

And the second issue is that, Iā€™ve heard the HE1.

I appreciate that, technically, this is really just one issue. But its such a big one, I felt it worth mentioning twice.

In fairness, I have heard the HE1, and the comments above probably make you think I think less of it than I do. While the DAC leaves a lot to be desired (for me), it is otherwise an impressive system. Not perfect, even sonically, but impressive. Itā€™s massively overpriced for what it offers. I go hot and cold on the aesthetics. And thereā€™s mechanical stuff involved that is just an invitation to failure.

I just canā€™t convince myself that the net sonic compromises vs. having a stable of different, high-end/TOTL, cans wouldnā€™t just result in me slowly adding back more cans and defeating the entire point. Which would functionally render it as just ā€œanother electrostatic option*ā€.

*I have one. I barely got to use it before I had to crate it back up ahead of an expected earlier departure and havenā€™t unboxed it since, since it is relative unobtanium.

12 Likes

Perhaps its just your nature to have a stable of audio gear. Thereā€™s a limit to how much one person can fight themselves. Ive resisted the call to downsize with various things over time and often Im happy that I kept what I had.

But, moving/packing really really sucks. I told my wife during the last move that we either are staying put forever or having someone else do all of it. It was an awful experience.

11 Likes

Perhaps, though it isnā€™t something I find necessary with speakers. Of course, if I could use those all the time, I wouldnā€™t have headphones.

I expect my desire to consolidate will result in a staged approach. Which I thought Iā€™d have done by now, but life had its way with that plan!

And that consolidation will likely come down to having just one flagship open-back headphone in each driver-technology category (e.g. one dynamic, one planar, one ribbon etc.). With one extra for ā€œflavorā€, and then one conventional closed-back (the rest being IEM and wireless/ANC).

14 Likes

Duplication does offer a safety-net in case of component failure. I have duplicates of everything except for my power amp. If fact, my power amp is in the shop for a check up, so speaker listening is currently off the grid.

2 Likes

Wait, does this mean there is very little hope for: McIntosh MHA200 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier

I demoed the MHA150 and wasnā€™t impressed (actually, I thought it might be broken).

When evaluating McIntosh products I do the following:

1. Touch the knobs
  2. Look at the price tag
  3. Double check the knobs to see if they are actually broken
  4. Ask if this is a real McIntosh or knock-off made from junkyard scraps
  5. Ask if this is a functional amp or just a showroom mock-up of an amp
  6. Double check the price tag
  7. Shrug and move on
5 Likes