Jazz Music Discussion

Highly recommended:

4 Likes

In my office alone. Iā€™d recently commented on a post by, I think @ProfFalkin in Now Listening or Music for the week, where theyā€™d listened to some Earth, Wind, and Fire. My reaction was sort of a ā€œChain Reactionā€ taking me back to summer between Junior and Sophmore year, a really good summer, with a lot of good music. Iā€™m re-listening to my comeback, 1971ā€™s Chain Reaction by the Crusaders - who had just changed their name from the Jazz Crusaders.

Truly an accessible and fun album that exemplifies the funky jazz fusion of the early 70ā€™s. Well worth that second listen. You may have to tap to get the link. Itā€™ll be worth it.

6 Likes

Today I continued with my throwback indulgence into 70ā€™s funky Jazz Fusion with Herbie Hancockā€™s funkiest album,

I did see Herbie at Penn State, not that long after Headhunters and ā€œRockitā€

I really like this album, particularly "Sun Touch and everything else. :wink:
Listened on the porch with the LCD-i3 and my iPhone. Quobuz. hi-res. Iā€™m always astonished at the soundstage the LCD-i3 provides. Yes, it may be in your head, but they expanded your head. This IEM is open back, so it doesnā€™t ā€œsealā€ but with the right tips is excellent. Makes me wonder what Iā€™d get if I spent an additional $1500 for the LCD-i4. I use it wired with the Cipher cable, and play a bit with EQ.

4 Likes

Herbie Hankock - good stuff. Love his Possibilities album as well.

What tips do you recommend? I am still looking for some good tips for my iSines.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried quite a few, but the best so far have been the oval Eartunes from this post.

For me I think itā€™s the medium. They are a pretty tight fit over the nozzle, but not as bad as the stupid advice on some other forums that has you stretching spinfits like boyā€™s size 10 underwear on Dom DeLouise. There is enough play around the nozzle for them to do a nice job.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, and ā€¦

ā€¦ thanks for that image in my head now. :wink: :+1:

1 Like

It was a rainy day, with remnants of Ida dumping 4 to 6 inches of rain. I worked until about 2 PM, when there were too many flash flood warnings to ignore. Tried a rainy day playlist, but then decided I needed a bit more energy. Played it a touch louder - nobody was going to be a walk in, so what the heck.

Nothing - not even Brubeckā€™s Time Further Out can give me energy like early Cuban Jazz.

1 Like

Hi all -

Iā€™m sure this has been covered but I know things always change.

Iā€™ve got a fair history with what Iā€™d consider ā€œthe basics,ā€ such as Parker, Mingus, Miles, Coltrane, Tjader, Monk, etc. etc.

What else should I be checking out, especially contemporary? Looking to try some new music. Using Quboz.

Thanks!

Would you be looking for:

Vocals
piano
Trumpet
Sax
Trombone
some other lead instrument
big band
small combo

are you interest4ed in getting more avnt garde, or less?

Definitely vocals and piano, probably top of list.
Not really big band. Yes small combo.

Open to the other instruments but lower tier.

Brad Mehldau - piano led small combo

Roxana Amed: vocals, latin influence

Veronica Smith: vocals, very classic presentation

and of course, if youā€™re listning to classic bop, just pull the favorite band membes names out from behind the superstars, and find the stars. For example; McCoy Tyner backed Coltrane, but is a virtuosos star in his own right.

Double bonus long weekend content:

As a cross over from the classical world, i recently discovered (thanks to @enthusiast.haas) the work of Nicolai Kapustin, he was heavilhy influenced by jazz progressions :

3 Likes

Thank you so much! Long weekend listening definitely a motivator here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Relieved that the Village Vanguard has re-opened for in-person shows for the first time since the start of the pandemic. At the same time, missing a younger, though still excellent venue, that didnā€™t make itā€“the Jazz Standard. Antonio Sanchezā€™s 2010 live album is my all-time favorite recording at the Jazz Standard, and ā€œIt Will Be Better (Once People Get Here)ā€ is my favorite track.

4 Likes

I snatched up tix to see Ravi Coltrane at VV in October as soon as they went on sale. :smiley:

On a separate note, Iā€™ve been LOVING Lady Blackbirdā€™s new album (her VOICE tho!! :star_struck:), and going to see her live at the BRIC Brooklyn Festival this weekend. So thankful for the return of live music events.
I :heart: NYC.

3 Likes

Always a great listen.

Van Gelder Studio recording. 1960

Stanley Turrentine - tenor saxophone
Gene Harris - piano
Andrew Simpkins - bass
Bill Dowdy - drums

51f91xiL0ML

6 Likes

Another Jazz site.

https://jazzgroove.org/?channel=mix1

1 Like

It is great news. And Smallā€™s, just around the corner, has been back up and running for a while now.

You canā€™t beat a night out getting a pie at Johnā€™s on Bleecker and then going to a show at either venue. (In the good old days of 15 years ago, Johnā€™s had Heineken on draft that, for some crazy reason, was really good, and Smallā€™s was byob).

4 Likes

this is a wonderful album

kimbrough

1 Like

Question for my Jazz friends.

As prep for the new book club (Visions of Jazz: The First Century - go sign up), I randomly chose a Miles Davis album. I deliberately chose an album whose title Iā€™d never heard of, and picked Get Up With It, one of his later albums.

Perhaps thatā€™s not the Davis album youā€™d normally suggest to a jazz noob like me, but Iā€™m glad I chose it because it really resonated with me. Is this really jazz? It sounds like a weird prog rock jam album to me. But really good weird prog rock jamming. I love it.

I then went to Bitches Brew and loved that too, so I will explore Milesā€™ electric period some more.

If I like Milesā€™ electric albums, can you suggest some other artists and albums that I should try that have a similar sound?

5 Likes