JDS Labs ATOM Amp

I’ve had the Atom a couple of days now and I have to say it’s a great little Amp. Plenty of power. Running my HD650’s on it an really enjoying it. I shall try some iem’s through it later. Though it’s only for curiosity. :grin:

6 Likes

Any experience with the JDS Labs OL DAC paired with the Atom? I couldn’t tell from the thread above. A little retirement money is coming my way in July so I want to choose wisely - small format desktop DAC, amp, and maybe a headphone upgrade with a $600 budget limit.

1 Like

You’d be better off with any of Modi 3, Grace SDAC, Topping D30.

Not that the OL DAC is “bad” per se (though I am not a fan), but it’s clearly outperformed both technically, and audibly, by other options for the same, or less, money, and that have more features (more inputs and/or DSD support).

1 Like

I run the Topping D10 with my Atom and it works well. I enjoy the digital display because it:

1. Makes it clear when the DAC is getting a signal
  2. Let’s me know that I’m getting the sample rate that I expect
4 Likes

I also run a Topping D10 with an Atom at home and I am very happy with it. I was running an SMSL SU-8 into the Atom at work and it was great also. I haven’t really had them side by side to compare so all I can say is I like both :wink:

(BTW, the D10 into Atom is also what I am using as a test rig, both for comparative listening and measuring).

4 Likes

As much as I like JDS Labs products I agree with this, I in fact have an OL Dac here with me next to a D10 and Modi 3… and it’s not bad but does not compete well…

It’s amazing how much amp you can get for $100 these days. I’ve had my Atom for about a week, and I haven’t had much desire to switch back to my other more expensive amps. The Atom’s speed and clarity is very impressive. Also, the synergy is quite good with my modded 650 and TH-X00.

6 Likes

I just found a used Atom which I will stack with my Chord Mojo. Will report back with my findings when I receive it.

Might consider selling the Mojo for another DAC, but I found it used at a bargain price so I will probably keep it and add a Poly for wireless streaming.

4 Likes

Ok, so now I sold my Atom amp again. Funny trying different gear. Swapped the Atom for a Asgard 3.

I had a few hours to A/B them with a range of music including Bill Frisell, Radiohead, EDM, Kacey Musgraves, Destroyer, Rufus Wainwright, War on Drugs.

Conclusion: I like them both a lot.

Obsevations: Atom is without doubt the more clinical and detailed of the two and it also has a tiny bit wider soundstage. The Asgard is a bit warmer, with a more ‘meaty’, ‘organic’ or fluid sound and it is also more laid back.

Comparing the two is of course like comparing apples and oranges. Very similar, yet different. Both are incredible value.

6 Likes

@Henrik_Gadegaard - what advantage did you find with the Atom paired with the Mojo for sound quality vs. the output of the Mojo itself? What headphones were you using?

If you had sufficient power from the Mojo, did you find pairing with an Atom improved the detail?

I use the mojo/atom at work because I get better bass and sub-bass with my ZMF headphones. Sounds good with the mojo alone, but sounds better with additional power.

1 Like

I actually never made it to try out the Mojo with the Atom. Sold the Mojo and bought the OL DAC to compliment the Atom. But I did get a much more meaty and fuller sound with the Atom than with the Mojo on my HD650s. More pronounced and precise lower frequencies in particular. I am now using the Asgard 3 which I feel has some of the same organic, flowing character as the Mojo and I am contemplating swapping the OL DAC for either a Modi Multibit or a Mojo, so I can use the Mojo with IEMs when travelling. Or maybe a Modius Multibit if and when that arrives. I have come to the conclusion that I actually do prefer a ‘semi-warm’, organic signature. Not tubes, but somewhere in between, ‘in the middle ground’ - sort of :smile: My next upgrade will be my headphones, though. I really like the HD650s. But I keep dreaming about the ZMF Aeolus or maybe Dan Clark Aeon 2 Open.

4 Likes

Didn’t see a separate post for the recently released Atom DAC, so I’ll just say the the Atom DAC/AMP stack is absolutely fantastic and sounds great driving all of my headphones. I really don’t see myself needing another amp for at least a while, unless I end up purchasing some very inefficient cans in the future that is.

4 Likes

Here is another review that is way past being needed at this point, however, I just posted it on my blog and YouTube (in Spanish) as my next review (of the L30) will be using this amp as a comparison, so I thought I would share anyway.

Review - JDS Labs Atom (amplifier)

As I mentioned in the Loxjie P20 review, my intention is to post reviews of some of the equipment that I have been using for a while in my reference chain when testing and reviewing other gear such as headphones and IEMs. More than a review of a new product I have received, this is to be based around my use of the item and what I have found after using it long term.

I feel that if I share these opinions it will help those who read (or watch) my reviews get a slightly better feeling for my personal tastes, making it easier to form an opinion about whether my reviews are something that guides or misguides them. Audio is very subjective because everyone hears sound in a different way and has their own preferences.

Today I have decided to share my thoughts and opinions of the JDS Labs Atom amplifier, again trying to put it into context and explain a little about my usage in the process.

It is difficult to review an amplifier, at least for me, as there are two completely different ways of looking at it. There is the scientific way, which is to provide measurements and specifications, showing the exact performance of the amplifier. The second way is from a subjective point of view, giving personal opinions on how the amplifier affects the sound being heard and whether that is of a personal preference or not.

Again, as mentioned in the P20 review, I have found myself to be a bit of a hypocrite in this regard.

My main aim with equipment such as DACs and amps is for them to be as transparent as possible, so that the only things that are providing changes to the sound are the source (i.e: the music) and the speakers or headphones.

However, I am also a person that has different moods and preferences on different days, some days I prefer some extra bass, other days I am just looking for neutrality. In these cases I not only switch between headphones/speakers but also add in EQ to taste.

I feel that amplifiers (or other parts of the signal chain) that are not 100% transparent are the equivalent of having an EQ baked in to them. This means that this “EQ” may be pleasurable to some and unpleasurable to others, or, in my case, I may enjoy a certain piece of “non-transparent” equipment one day and not so much the following day.

As I said, this is a bit of hypocrisy on my behalf as I say that I want an amplifier to be totally transparent and disappear (i.e: measure perfectly) but at the same time can find pleasure in amplifiers that do the exact opposite to this.

But enough chit chat and on to the amp.

Build…

There is no space for subjectivity in the build quality of a product. You may prefer the looks of one or another but the build quality is not something open for debate.

In the case of the JDS Labs Atom, the build is cheap.

While it doesn’t look bad (in my personal “subjective” opinion), the case is a plastic lightweight black box with a plastic knob that feels cheap when touching it.

There is a white led light ring around the knob that is a nice touch (again, in my personal opinion) and the volume knob also serves as the off switch when turned completely to zero.

On the front panel, other than the volume, there is a ¼” headphone output, a high/low gain switch and an input select switch, both of the push button kind.

With nothing on either side, there is a white JDS Labs logo on the top of the unit and that is all until we get to the back panel.

On the back of the unit, there is a port for the 16VAC wall wart power supply, a 3.5mm TRS input, a set of RCA inputs, and a set of RCA outputs. That is all we have as far as connectivity, although the second input is something that is not found on many units in this price range.

Functionality…

The functionality of the Atom is also straightforward and basic. The input selector on the front allows you to switch between the RCA and 3.5mm inputs, while the headphone socket also serves to switch between outputs, with the RCA outputs becoming active when nothing is plugged in to the headphone output.

The RCA outputs are a preamp out, meaning that the volume knob on the front of the unit controls the volume of the RCA outputs when they are active. This is useful if using the Atom to control a set of desktop powered speakers or monitors, or some other device without a volume control (or at least without an easily accessible one).

My personal preference would be to have a switch to turn the RCA outputs on or off without the need of unplugging the headphones, maybe even with an option for the RCA outs to be a simple pass through without volume control, but I am not complaining given the price of the unit and the second input is a nice feature that I prefer to have over the selection switch if I was asked to choose.

The volume knob used is analog and there is some slight imbalance in channels when you are at a very low setting, but I am talking about a setting where the sound is barely audible, therefore this should not be an issue for anyone really.

Power and other specs…

I do not have the equipment to be able to perform tests on the amplifier in order to provide my own measurements with regards to specs, however, you can find extensive measurements of the Atom on Audio Science Review (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-new-jds-labs-atom-headphone-amp.5262/post-116417) with all the details as far as power, THD, SNR etc.

All I can say from my subjective point of view is that the Atom has a lot of power for such a small (and cheap) device, managing to provide this power without any noticeable distortion or colouration to the sound, at least to my ears.

Sound…

As I just said, I do not notice any colouration to the sound in my opinion. It is very difficult to judge something as being transparent by ear, as all I can do is compare it to other items that I also consider to be flat or neutral, such as monitors etc, but the headphones used always come into play also.

However, in my totally subjective opinion, I would consider the JDS Labs Atom to be neutral and I feel that I can use the reference of the Atom in order to get a feeling for any colouration introduced by other amplifiers.

Issues and solutions…

It is worth noting that when I first got the Atom, I experienced an issue with it not turning off even when the knob was clicked into the “off” position. This seems to be something that happened to various people according to posts I have read on forums and was caused by a relay sticking in the “on” position.

When this happened, I contacted JDS Labs customer support on a Sunday and they replied within 2 hours. Their response was to give the Atom a good “bang” on the top with my hand.

While this seems like a brutal way to fix something, I followed their advice and hit it. This caused the realy to unstick and the unit to switch off. Since then, I have not experienced this issue again.

Conclusions…

I feel that the JDS Labs Atom was a purchase that was well worth the 100€ price tag. At the time, there was nothing that came close to the performance of the Atom at a similar price point, in fact, it outperformed amplifiers costing much more.

Since then, there have been a few releases by other companies that compete directly with the Atoms price point, offering the same quality of performance, some with even more power and a better build quality, such as the Schiit Magni 3 or Heresy (which I am still waiting for in order to be able to compare to the Atom).
In my case, the Atom is my most used amplifier and I have performed detailed listening tests on all headphones and earphones that have been through my hands since I purchased it. Everything I review (and many more) has been connected to the Atom at some point and I have used it to form my opinions.

Would I recommend the purchase?

From a technical point of view, yes… but… I feel that the Schiit offerings may offer a slightly better build quality and more power for the same price. However, I can’t recommend the Shiit products until I finally receive them and get to test them out.

(Clarification: the fact that I have not received the Schiit units I purchased in February is not the fault of Schiit, they are in a shipping container that has been stuck since March due to the Covid outbreak).

12 Likes

thank you for the review @SenyorC

it was again a fun and informative read!
the fact a company is giving advide to give it´s unit a clap - love it!

hope your Schiit´s arrive soon!

2 Likes

The only Schiit I’ve owned was the old Magni 3. The first unit I got made a loud pop the first time I turned it on and never worked, the replacement unit worked but had a scratchy volume pot. My Atom’s case feels comparatively cheap, but the pot works well and the unit never gave me any problems.

That’s a long winded way of saying that there’s an important distinction between functional quality and aesthetic quality.

5 Likes

Excellent review @SenyorC.

1 Like

Excellent review. During summer up here in the Northeastern part of the United States the weather is far too warm to use my headphones or any of my headphone amplifiers. That is, except for my JDS Labs ATOM, which has become the only headphone amp that I use from late May until October. I also recently invested in some inexpensive IEMs from Linsoul and Basn, which work quite well with the ATOM in the warmer weather.

4 Likes