Lake People/Violectric

Sorry on reviving this topic.

Was looking at the G103-S as a potential upgrade/replacement for my ART Headamp4.
Costs 270€ via Thomann.de

As I can’t find much about the G103 in particular (The G109 is mentioned a lot more), I thought I would just ask.

2 Likes

No apologies required.

I’m sure someone with experience will chime in when they come across this.

Here’s a review that contrasts G103 with G109 – by a reviewer I totally trust. It’s not a new review, but these models have changed little if any over that time:

Here’s a German review comparing the G103 & G109 to the V200 (use Google translate for English):

BTW, I have the “Anniversary,” limited edition of the G109, the G109-A. It’s a powerful single-ended amp, my 1st really good headphone amp. Strong power & great sound.

4 Likes

Nice finds, both of them.
I wonder how I missed the German article.

1 Like

I think they have a g-111 out now.

3 Likes

almost forgot to share this video by the mid–fi guy

He compares the following:

Smsl SP200
RME ADI 2 DAC
Violectric V280

here is his comparison with some known headphones, which are

Audeze LCD X
ZMF Aeolus
Sennheiser HD 800s
Hifiman Arya

4 Likes

I need to look into Lake People more. It was great talking to Fried at CanJam about his Nimbus line. I really want to try that at home, given the “almost tube-like” character of conserving second harmonic distortion. It makes me think of a similar idea to some of the Rupert Neve transformer coupled designs.

3 Likes

If you do I’d be happy to hear how it fares against other solid state amps with alleged tube-like characteristics (e.g. timbre, imaging, texture) like the Eddie Current Black Widow, the ECP DSHA-3F, or the older Cavalli stuff; curious how LP’s design philosophy pans out against them.

1 Like

The “Lakepeople” are kind of my neighbours, almost :slight_smile:

At least not far away from munich
So a good amount of stores has Violectric/LP Equipment in and I am a big fan. The nimbus is a beast.
Really would love to loan it for a few weeks. Could be really bad for my wallet, though :slight_smile:

The V280 is more my thing. Had listened to most Audeze lineup on the 281

4 Likes

v280 on massdrop for $1199

5 Likes

That’s a good price. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

It really is.
Actually it is around 1.1-1.3k Euro for used V280’s in germany.
Have had some on my ebay watch list for some time.
At the moment there are 2 demo units for 1.2k directly sold by Lakepeople on ebay with full warranty.
Would be a nice addition, to my RME ADI 2 DAC > THX AAA 789 stack. But it misses the vu-meters :slight_smile:

A comparison between this and a Phonitor Xe would be so cool.
Could easily get both as loaner from my most liked shop in munich, where I bought the RME ADI 2, but I am no reviewer.
And I know me. One would stay at my place. The SPL Xe is still on the list for end 2020. If the bonus comes/is as high as planned. If C19 will kill this plan, a used V280 stays Plan B, or I stretch a bit and get a used SPL P X.

Another interesting comparison would be the Hagermann Tuba vs the V280!

4 Likes

Neither am I my friend, at yet I write! :grin:

I say if you have the opportunity, then why not take it? You’ll only expand your knowledge base, and add to your experiences which is always helpful when evaluating gear.

I’d love to hear your opinions of the two.

6 Likes

At 1.3k used, might aswell put another 100€ on top and get a new one.

3 Likes

I feel like that could be in some ancient text somewhere.

"God grants me neither divine wisdom nor omniscience…yet I write.

Deep, man.

3 Likes

I like to tap into the ether and dip my toes into the pools of infinite knowledge from to time. I mean, it’s there. :man_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

@andrew, @taronlissimore, I just realized that Matrix Audio was acquired by Power Holdings Inc., the parent company of Lake People/Violectric/Nimbus.

Is there a possibility that you’ll be carrying any of Power Holdings’ other brands?

2 Likes

Both the v280 and v281 are on sale because the new v590 is coming out next month. I actually just pre-ordered one since I have been waiting for a while for these to finally come out, ha ha ha…and I am impatient :grimacing:

4 Likes

G103-S first impressions:

• bigger than expected
  • gets warm
  • so clean (compared to an A-100, HeadAmp4 and the mixers headphone out, but still! Holy smokes!)
  • the volume knob has no channel imbalance (then again, 240€ device so :slight_smile:)

I have so far resisted the urge to open the case and have a peak inside :wink:

5 Likes

Very cool. It’s sounds like a great amp.

2 Likes