Lake People/Violectric

Surprised on the heat. My Violectric V220 never even gets Luke warm. Of course the box is huge and it weighs a ton. :grin:

My RS-08 would get lightly warm to the touch. I’m thinking the smaller box amps get warmer. I had a V100 which is much bigger physically, but same amp inside, and it did not get warm much at all unless the room was hot. Also the Violectric models use thicker enclosures, whereas the Lake People’s enclosures are pretty thin feeling in comparison.

1 Like

Makes sense. I am ignorant on the differences between the Lake People line and the Violectric line.

1 Like

I’m interested in the Lake People G111. they say it has 600mW into 600ohm. i was wondering if thats from one port or if their counting 2x300 for both ports?

On my G103, the two outputs are simply in parallel.

1 Like

one port. it’s a very strong amp. i’ve used the now discontinued G109 (G111 replaced it) and that thing was incredibly powerful. i’m a big Lake People fan, they make really good amps. Just wish their pricing was not so high.

1 Like

Oh good. i was thinking of getting one to power my more harder to power headphones. I got the dt770 880 and 990 600ohm and i saw the Zeos video. He think they need a lot of power to sound good. hoping this amp will make them sound good. the more mW the better i think. Was gonna get a Asgard 300mW into 600ohm but the G111 is twice that :grinning:

I have a RNHP and it sounds great but its doesnt put out a lot of power

5 Days
I resisted the urge to open it for just 5 days.

Super clean layout, the main heat-source is screwed to its heatsink (heatsink is pinnd to the PCB to not strain the solder joints of the amplifier chip.
The extra holes in the bottom left of the PCB are for the Op-Amp circuit that unbalances incomming signal in the G103-P version (there are some nice illustrations in the back of the manual).

Impressions have not changed so far. Lovely little box.

7 Likes

Looks clean…:face_with_monocle:

Thanks for posting the pic @MazeFrame! I also own a G103-S, but have so far resisted the urge to open it up.

I’ve read that some of the Violectric amps have socketed op-amps which can be ‘rolled’. I don’t suppose there are sockets underneath those heatsink covered components? (Guessing they’d better visible if they were there.)

2 Likes

There is no amplification except in that one big chip (Texas Instruments LM1876) in the G103-S

From the datasheet of the LM1876:

In the G103-P you may be able to swap the Op-Amp.

4 Likes