Mac Music Players - An Incomplete Summary (OS X/macOS & cross-platform)

Introduction

This is a summary of some “primary” applications for Music Playback on the Mac (OS X and macOS, as well as some cross-platform applications … but I can’t comment on how the non-Mac versions are). “Primary” means it’s not a plug-in to something else and either plays music directly (with, or without additional features) or affects the audio of the system as a whole.

At some point I’ll likely review each of these applications in a more comprehensive fashion; this post is more to kick-start some discussion and comment on a few of the products I’ve used (and/or still use).

I will probably post something similar to cover various “secondary” applications, such as EQ tools, headphone correction, room simulation in the near future.

More information for each is available by clicking the links (product names/titles).

Sound

The purpose of this post is not to debate the “sound quality” of these applications - that’s a much broader, and far more controversial topic. The point here is just to catalog, and highlight, some interesting software choices for music replay.

A good while ago now, I did some basic testing with these applications to see if I could determine a sound-quality difference between them, as most of them claim to improve replay in some way or other. In BLIND testing I was not able to discern between most of them (your mileage may vary) – exceptions there are noted in the comments on the application/player in question.

This outcome wasn’t surprising as they all claim bit-perfect replay … so any other changes have to be down to something other than manipulation of the data … and the degree to which other factors can be influenced is HEAVILY dependent on the system in question.

Applications

Audirvana+

Will play your local content, stream from TIDAL, Qobuz and from Virtual Vault. Minimalist, fast, native interface. System optimization to turn off unneeded-high-load services during playback. Configurable memory-play. Dual high-end resampling engines, with the ability to do on the fly conversion to higher bit rates and/or PCM->DSD conversion. And it’ll play native PCM or DSD content, with the option to convert DSD to PCM for non-DSD capable DACs.

High-quality resampling/format conversion is supported via iZotope and SoX.

Supports MQA unfolding for non-MQA DACs and MQA renderers, as well as auto-identification of DACs with full hardware MQA decoding.

Supports “Audio Unit” plug-ins for all manner of DSP, EQ and other processing, using both the built-in plug-ins from OS X/macOS as well as third-party/commercial ones.

This is particularly nice if you use Audeze headphones, as it provides a very simple and effective way to utilize their free “Reveal” plug-in.

Has metadata editing, library management, integration with iTunes, playlist creation and an optional remote-control app for smartphones.

Free trial available.

I use this one personally, on my laptop, mostly for when I’m travelling (at home I use Roon). It’s very easy to use, sounds excellent, is stable, fast, and is under constant, active, development.

Amarra Luxe 4.x

This IS a music player. It’ll play from local files and stream from TIDAL, has iTunes library integration and a very pretty interface. It can up-sample your content and do on-the-fly conversion from DSD to PCM (allows playing DSD files on a non-DSD capable DAC). Native DSD playback (via DoP) was “coming soon” when I tested it – it’s not clear from the site if that’s still “pending” or actually available (the UX says one thing, their feature list another).

It supports MQA unfolding/playback for non-MQA DACs and, of course, full-hardware MQA DACS.

And there is a nice EQ capability. In addition to the preset options, of which there are 15, you can also define your own custom EQ … a capability that is essentially the same EQ engine that you get in “Amarra SQ+”.

There’s an optional remote control app for iOS, and

Optional (cost) features include headphone surround-sound support and room-correction capabilities.

I’d have liked to use this player more. Unfortunately, it was extremely buggy and crash-prone. And while updates were coming quite quickly, it never got to a point where it was sufficiently stable and reliable before I gave up on it.

Free trial available.

In blind testing I COULD tell a difference between Amarra vs. everything else (except SQ+). I suspect that the replay is not bit-perfect and it is in fact doing some processing. Whether that’s intentional or a bug I don’t know – since my belief is that the way I had it setup should not have been applying any processing. At some point I will have to test the output from it and compare it to the source data and see if this is the case.

Amarra SQ+

This is not a music player, but an add on processor/EQ that acts as a virtual sound device, captures ALL the audio output from your Mac, runs it through its processing, and then sends it on to the actual audio device (DAC).

This is quite convenient, since it will work with any audio player application that talks to the OS sound interface (CoreAudio), including your favorite streaming clients.

The EQ capability is a high-quality full-parametric implementation and allows up to four points of adjustment to be specified (that’s more than most need). There are other adjustments, filters and controls beyond raw EQ, and a novel way to visualize what is actually being changed.

I played with this one quite a bit. It has an oddly pleasant effect on the sound.

The user interface is extremely pretty.

This is one of just two applications that I COULD tell a difference with vs. all the others in blind testing. This is down to it actually manipulating the sample data, as in this case if it’s not going to do that there’s not much point in using it!

I had some stability issues with this when I tested it, and as a result I stopped using it. It’s worth checking out if you need an EQ capability, want something that will affect ALL audio on your system or just want to experiment.

Free trial available.

HQPlayer

While this is a music player, it’s fundamental point is about high-quality replay while allowing extreme control over how digital music is handled . It’ll play all of the interesting lossless formats, including CDDA, FLAC, AIFF and DSD files.

It’s real point of interest for me is in its support for many types of digital filtering, format conversion, and up-sampling on the fly. The capabilities here are so rich that you can often up-sample to a point where your DAC’s internal up-sampling is no longer applied (HQPlayer’s own up-sampling and conversion is done with 64-80 bit floating point precision vs. the 32-bit common on off-the-shelf converters).

Filtering (be it conversion, resampling or noise shaping) in HQPlayer is also rather more sophisticated than what you’ll find on a typical DAC chip. A common “audiophile” DAC IC might have a couple of hundred taps in its filters, where as you can push that much further with HQPlayer.

It’s an excellent tool for exploring filtering and resampling at the highest levels available, though bear in mind the most sophisticated settings can require a massively powerful PC and/or require GPU-compute assistance!

The interface is a little basic, but the core processing can also be incorporated into the replay chain of tools like Roon, for a better overall experience.

Using different filter settings in HQPlayer often results in audible changes. You’ll have to judge for yourself which settings are “improvements”, but differences are generally discernible.

Free trial available.

JRiver Media Center

Attempting to list the feature set for this would take all day. It is a veritable Swiss Army Knife of capabilities. If there’s something useful you can do with audio, streaming, or even video, then it probably does it. The only thing I can think of that it doesn’t do is MQA decoding (and that might have changed by the time I’ve finished this).

It can be a music player, library manager, streaming client AND server, has myriad DSP and processing capabilities and manages huge libraries with ease and can be remote controlled.

You really have to go to the product site and explore this as the feature set is so vast.

While there’s not much it can’t do … getting it to do it is another matter. The program is so expansive that configuration is a nightmare of settings panels and options. Hundreds of them. It takes some concerted effort to figure out where a given feature is hidden, and more effort still to understand the effects of all the possible settings.

It’ll do things no other single product can do, if you’re willing to invest the time to learn it.

I keep it around because it is so flexible and capable that it’s a very useful tool for all kinds of scenarios. I don’t actually use it unless I have to, and don’t use it for music-replay-for-pleasure, because I have a strong dislike for the UX. But it’s one of those tools that’s worth having at some point, even if it’s not your main player application.

Free trial available.

Roon

Self-described as “The music player for music lovers”, the focus is on your music. Perhaps it’s two best features are the ability to bring your local and TIDAL libraries together into a single, coherent, whole, and the “Focus” mode for exploring your music collection, the people behind the music, it’s history and how it relates to music in general as other works/artists etc.

The user experience is, in my opinion, the best out there. Whether on a computer or an iOS or Android device, the interface is fluid, beautiful and comprehensive. And you can have as many interfaces running on your setup as you want. Every computer, iPad and iPhone in my home has the Roon client installed on it, allowing control of everything, from everywhere.

And even as a “music player” (which is hugely selling Roon short), it’s very capable …

For one, It brings your local and TIDAL libraries together and presents them as a unified whole. This is different to applications like Audirvana+, which lets you access both libraries – but they’re kept entirely separate in the UI.

It offers DSP functionality, pre-sets EQ for Audeze headphones (based on the “Reveal” plug-ins), full parametric EQ, high-quality configurable crossfeed, on-the-fly format conversion (e.g. PCM to DSD), up-sampling and MQA software decoding.

Setup is very simple – and everything can be done on a single machine (that’s the default, in fact) or you can run an entire ecosystem that includes PC, Macs, iOS and Android devices (as well as options for Linux or NAS devices to run as the core).

You can play to network attached “Roon Ready” devices (some are streamers, other’s are DACs with embedded “Roon Ready” interfaces) and, of course, to any device that’s attached to a machine that is running the Roon software. Even Sonos units can be directly controlled from Roon, and show-up in the system automatically.

You are not limited by how many remote/clients you have nor how many devices you play to.

This one has a subscription fee for the data feed – and it’s not cheap, but if you’re a music-first audiophile I’ve found it to be very worthwhile. It, alone, has introduced me to (and made me BUY) more music, and driven more interested in the music already in my library, than anything else I can think of.

The only way to properly understand Roon is to try it. If you do this, wait until you have some time to explore it fully as there’s a lot in here, and if you don’t give “Focus” mode, and what it enables some serious time, you’ll miss out on a big chunk of what makes it interesting.

Roon is the primary way I, personally, interact with my music collection and TIDAL.

Free trial available.

Sonarworks "Reference"

The easiest way to understand what Sonarworks “Reference” is, is to think about it as an EQ for your headphones that uses preset EQ curves to correct the response of a headphone to a neutral tuning. The EQ curves used are much more complicated (more points of correction) than those you’ll typically build with a manual parametric EQ tool, since they’re based on normalized measurements of many samples of a given headphone.

It supports over 100 models of headphones right now, with more coming on a regular basis. It’s intended for studio use (mixing), first and foremost, since neutrality is a key to doing that well.

The catch is that if your headphone is not on the supported list, then this software isn’t much use to you as you can’t usefully pick a “model that is close” and get the desired results.

You can also send your own headphones in to be measured and have a custom correction profile built for them. This is good if either your headphones are currently supported with an “averaged” profile, or you want one that’s as accurate as possible for the actual pair of headphones you’re using (since there’s always some unit-to-unit variation).

I use it for mixing/studio work. When “listening for pleasure” it very much depends on what headphone I’m using at the time. It absolutely transforms some headphones from “problematic” to “excellent” (e.g. Sennheiser HD800 I will not listen to without it), and in other cases it’s not such a good thing.

This works as both a plug-in to various music players and DAWs (Digital Audio Workstation) and includes the “Systemwide” utility that lets you run ALL system-audio through the Sonarworks processing.

You can tweak the results to a certain extent, but this is not a user-driven EQ tool.

Free trial available.

Sonarworks "True-Fi"

Think of this as the little-brother to “Sonarworks Reference”. It works in essentially the same way and the list of supported headphones is also similar (they’re generally the same, but the update schedules and bias is a bit different between the two products).

Instead of being a plug-in, True-Fi can either capture all system audio and process it, or it can be selected as a virtual sound card in your player application.

True-Fi also offers a couple of other adjustments … one for bass-level and another to compensate for age-related hearing loss.

I use this for listening with some headphones, typically on my laptop, such as the Sony MDR-1000X, among others (that one stands out because it’s an ANC-type headphone that I use in public work spaces from time to time).

Free trial available.

11 Likes

Awesome summary. When I initially switched from Windows to Mac in the pre-roon days I did a lot of research on the topic. Great to get up to date without having to go out and do the research again.

Very nice post. Kudos.
Have you ever tried the Neutron Player which works on both iOS and Android? I’m perhaps getting into sound quality. It’s not trying to be anything but a player for hi-res audio files, on mobile devices, not computer. I’ve used it with a DAC /iPhone and it does that, albeit with a non-intuitive interface. It worked well with an Android tablet I had also.

I don’t know of anything else exactly in it’s category, so I’m noting it in this reply to your excellent post.

The interface is both confusing and very configurable. It has found my local network library of music on multiple machines, and it also streams.

2 Likes

Great post. I use the Sonarworks software for headphone playback exclusively wether I’m casually listening or am Mastering / Mixing. It’s a great tool. I have three different pairs of phones I switch between. Sonarworks also has deals from time to time on some of the more popular professional use headphones that come with a custom correction curve. Good Stuff.

2 Likes

I use the Neutron player software too and really like it. It has a great parametric equaliser and many other features. Easy to use too.
-Paul-

I’ve played around with it a bit (on both platforms).

It did a nice job in terms of actually playing music, and the feature set was pretty comprehensive and compelling. If you want local/network playback on your device, with lots of control and proper EQ and crossfeed (etc.), it’s a great little app.

I didn’t stick with it for a few reasons … the horror-show UX was a big one, the overhead necessary to manage the content for it (and applications like it) was a bigger one, and the fact that the vast majority of the time I’m using my iPhone as the source I’ll be listening in an environment that isn’t very conducive to hearing the difference between lossless/hi-res and lossy material makes it unnecessary for me.

My general tendency lately is to to just use Apple Music and TIDAL as sources on the phone.

And TIDAL I only use in streaming mode because it’s too happy to leave me stranded and unable to play my offline content without getting a network connection, right when I’ll be without one for 10 hours!

1 Like

So…just set up my MacMini 2018…and … I think it sounds better than when I have my ADI-2DAC plugged into my PC…is this placebo? It sounds more resolving…it has to be placebo right? I a/b and I’m still picking up ever so slightly better details, I think I’m going crazy…:thinking::exploding_head::woozy_face::nerd_face:

@Torq I think you would have a knowledgable answer to this, but in the meantime I’m going to search the internet, and try to take some product shots with my camera…ooooh I need to download Photoshop on the Mac now.

2 Likes

Recent Mac Mini’s have pretty good onboard DACs. But if you want MQA they will still only do the first unfold. I have a 2014 model bought in 2016, and for general listening, it’s not bad at all. I’m waiting to hear from @Torq on this also.

1 Like

I hear that the Mac mini is great for audio. Though not having heard or owned one I can only go by what I have read and been told. Still enjoy your new Mac.

1 Like

It’s not necessarily a placebo effect.

And I’m assuming that you mean that your RME ADI-2 DAC sounds better from your Mac than from your PC, rather than the built-in audio outputs on the Mac sounding better than the RME.

For a start, a lot depends on how it was configured on your PC vs. how you have it setup on your Mac. While macOS is driver-less for UAC2 compliant DACs, you do need to check/set the proper output parameters in the “Audio MIDI Utility” (they usually default correctly, but some DACs report their capabilities in a way that results in different bit-rates/depths being set here than you actually want to use).

Dedicated music-players, like Roon and Audirvana+ will set those parameters automatically and on-the-fly in response to the bit-rate of the tracks being played. Most of the streaming clients will just whatever is setup in “Audio MIDI Utility” … and if the files don’t match those settings then “CoreAudio” will re-sample them (which is better than the ASRC that Windows will perform in similar circumstances, but still something you want to avoid).

Another distinct possibility is that the USB outputs on your Mac are electrically less noisy than those on your PC. Gaming PCs in particular tend to have extremely noisy USB outputs (particularly those directly on the motherboard) - and while the RME ADI-2 DAC is unusually adept at dealing with that, it’s not perfect.

USB audio is, in itself, an absolute mine-field (especially on Windows - which didn’t have native support for UAC2 until 15 years after the standard had been ratified - i.e. Windows 10 Creators Update - and it’s STILL rather ropey). But that’s a topic for a dedicated thread …

As for the DACs built into various Macs … I would not generally say they’re any better or worse than those on equivalent-quality PC motherboards. And since they’re generally only accessible via a basic op-amp driven headphone output, their quality is further reduced. It’s not that they are bad, but they’re are limited by being located in an extremely noisy electrical environment, and aren’t directly accessible. So realized performance is almost always going to be better with a competent external budget DAC than with the internal one.

3 Likes

That is correct, I should have clarified… I’ll be messing with the settings in the OS for DACs tonight! I’ll also look into Audirvana+ I am currently looking at Tidal and Deezer lossless as possible routes to go down for lossless streaming…still doing my research lol

1 Like

Audirvana+ can stream from TIDAL, Qobuz (not available in the US yet) and HIGHRESAUDIO’s “Virtual Vault” as well as your local library.

It doesn’t make your streaming content a seamless part of you library the way Roon does - they show up as a separate library, but it is less expensive (perpetual license) and does allow for plug-ins for EQ and so on (Roon has it’s own excellent EQ engine built-in).

Roon and Qobuz finally came to an agreement so that is official coming.

1 Like

I’d also add Vox to the list of OS X music players. Very simpl(istic) UI but it gets the job done. Personally, I don’t actually play music on my Mac at all, I just use it as one of various interfaces to control Roon, but I always output to some network device like one of my Raspberry Pi’s with Hifiberry HAT, or Chromecast.

2 Likes

but…but…Roons GUI…:nerd_face:

you have to sign up for an acct to get all the features, recently d/l the trial & it doesn’t do much. 10band eq isn’t defined enough in the frequencies I want to tweak to my preferences.

@torq, fast reply from roon, to my q about trial being only 14days, better than True-Fi which I’ve had to request multiple key’s to keep using the trial for 30days. Roon will give me a 30day trial, bc I asked & said I don’t have enough time to eval properly in just 14days.

Roon is probably far too complex for me to learn much, kind of like Photoshop is a bear to learn, need paid classes to take advantage of that. Hell I can’t even manage to learn/keep up with iOS these days, too damned complex & I simply lack the time to devote.

The kind of EQ flexibility you seem to want is likely to need a dedicated EQ tool. Those are usually implemented as plug-ins. That means either using a player that can host such plug-ins (e.g. Audirvana), or using system-level sound-routing tools that can host the same plug-ins but apply them system-wide (generally much more complicated to setup and manage).

I expect both approaches are going to be more involved than I think you want, especially if you think learning to use something like Roon is too complex for you.

DMG’s EQuick is a nice starting point. It’ll give you 32 “bands” (parameters) of PEQ (one more than you’d get with a much-less flexible/precise graphic EQ … professional version of which tended to cap out at 31 bands), and is much simpler to use properly than something like EQuilibrium.

1 Like

For me the best part of Roon is the text. A music magazine with a database of performers attached.

1 Like

For those macOS types that were wondering about how Catalina might work with audio apps …

No issues with the latest builds of Roon, Audivana, DMG and Audeze plug-ins, SonarWorks or anything using Core Audio and directly attached (USB/TOSLINK) or network-addressed DACs … tested across the latest Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, and a 2012-era Mac-Mini.

Haven’t had time to test my Waves and Plug-In Alliance plug-ins yet … but there are cautions out from both groups to hold off on upgrading if you rely on them.

1 Like

Looks like Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop are having some issues as well…but if you are a basic user of those apps you should be fine as most of the affected features are in the Professional use level

1 Like