Mark Levinson No5909 - Official Thread

This is the official thread for the Mark Levinson No5909 ANC headphones:

A lot of folks have been asking for impressions and measurements of these, so I’ll provide that here.

Because the 5909 is a wireless ANC headphone, these results are subject to change depending on any firmware updates that may be applied. For example, when they initially sent over a sample, the results were meaningfully different in the active mode than after the latest firmware update, which is significantly better. So the result may change again should they feel the need to release another firmware update. In any case, as of the latest firmware up to Feb 4th 2022, the following are my findings.

Measurements done on the GRAS 43AG-7 with KB5000 Anthropometric Pinnae.

Mark Levinson No5909 Frequency Response:

Curiously, the ambient mode and the passive mode didn’t seem to show much difference, but I think that’s also because I’m in a generally quiet environment. This might show a different result for those who are in louder spaces.

Now there is something to note - these measurement systems aren’t rated for accuracy above 10khz, but they’re also not random up there either, meaning that there does actually seem to be a difference in the upper treble between active and passive.

In any case, the 5909 is a headphone that to me is as impressive as it is disappointing, because it is oh so close to being that highly sought after perfect ANC headphone that we’re all hoping for. Given that the 5909 is from a Harman company, it follows the Harman target really quite well… for the most part.

It’s tuning is absolutely outstanding for 90% of its frequency response, and then particularly unpleasant for the last 10% of it - at least in ANC mode. The passive mode I’d argue is actually quite an impressive achievement, even if it might appeal more to older listeners who would appreciate the extra upper treble shimmer (thinking of the research that shows a preference for more treble in that demographic).

Despite the 5909’s excellent tuning for the majority of its frequency response, that 10khz peak in active mode is particularly intense. This is also where I don’t know if Harman’s predictive method is fine-grained enough to account for these high Q (narrow) deviations, and in my view, certain types of deviations are significantly worse than others. At the same time, I also think it’s possible for certain deviations to improve the result given other existing deviations.

But in this case, that peak is just too much, and it gives this kind of tizzy borderline sibilant presentation, as it emphasizes the upper edge of consonant tones in vocals. Listening to Patricia Barber’s Smash was particularly unbearable for me for example (brilliant track, but also good for testing sibilance issues). Again, older listeners might not have as much of an issue with this as I did.

In many ways though, this is still one of the best tuned ANC headphones available, and so for me the dealbreakers aren’t really in the 5909’s frequency response. Again, what they achieved for a passive result is truly impressive, and makes for a really solid foundation.

For the subjective experience, the 5909 is generally good. There’s no blunting for trailing ends of tones, with good clarity for the finer little nuances in the mix. In my view, there’s still some distance between this and high end wired headphones, but the gap is clearly getting smaller. A good comparable would be with the Sennheiser Momentum 3 for its subjective qualities, meaning that yes… it’s actually decently detailed. Is it $700 more detailed than the Momentum 3? absolutely not. But the majority of its frequency response is clearly better.

Considerations
The bigger issues are when it comes to usability. I expect this to be unique to each individual for how much you care about these things, and use case will highly determine how much. But personally, three things in particular make this something I would not be able to use… for the moment.

1. There’s currently no custom EQ function in the app. There are two additional presets that you can choose from, but they don’t focus on the things that I would want to improve. In general the app is extremely limited. Contrast this with the AKG N700NCM2’s app, which has a fully customizable EQ option where you can adjust literally any frequency you want - and this headphone costs only a fraction of the 5909. It’s really unfortunate that this type of system wasn’t used for the 5909, as it would allow users to fix that upper treble zing. Hopefully they can add this in the future. If they do, I will be re-evaluating the 5909, because it’s so darn close to sounding great.

2. I wasn’t able to connect to multiple devices at the same time. This is a feature I think we should expect with ANC headphones at this point. Additionally, there are some bugs and connectivity issues at the moment. After pairing it with my computer, for some reason I wasn’t able to use it with my phone again. It kept saying “connection timed out”, even though it was no longer paired to that other device. Even after restarting both the headphones and my phone, it still wouldn’t connect. The next day, it was able to connect just fine again, so no idea what’s going on there. For reference, I’m using a OnePlus 7t. This could be just an issue with my particular device, but I’ve never had that problem with other wireless headphones. This is something I expect them to iron out.

3. There’s noticeable background hiss in ANC mode. This kind of defeats the purpose of an ANC headphone for me. I think for those who are using the 5909 for long plane rides, you won’t notice it, but in an office environment, it’s highly likely you will. This also might not be as much of a dealbreaker for some, since when music is playing, that noise floor isn’t as noticeable. But for me it was really annoying. I think largely because the background hiss and noise was stronger in the left channel than the right channel. Again, I don’t know if they can fix this with a firmware update, but I truly hope they can. I’m reminded of the Razer Opus a bit with this in that it’s tuned well but suffers from noise floor issues, kind of defeating the point for my use case.

App Screenshots:

Attenuated bass

Enhanced bass

Neutral

ANC Modes

Additional Notes

• ANC Quality - It’s very good. My testing with this was purely experiential, so take this with a judicious helping of salt. In my comparisons, it had similar performance to the other well-performing ANC headphones like the Sony XM4, Razer Opus, Airpods Max, and better than headphones like the AKG N700NCM2. I expect there will be some differences with further testing in different environments, but I haven’t had the chance to take these on a plane yet or transit, which would be a more meaningful test. These also have decent passive isolation, which likely helps with that as well.

• Comfort - The top headband is a bit too thin I think, as it did create a bit of a hot spot up top for me. The 5909 isn’t the lightest headphone, and so I think it would have been better to distribute the weight across a wider surface up top. Thankfully, there is cup swivel, so there are no issues with too much clamp pressure in certain places on the side of the head.

• Build Quality - It’s generally good, with sturdy feeling materials and a nice arm extension system that feels satisfying to use. The top leather also feels good in the hand, and the yokes and cups aren’t that kind of rickety plastic that you get in lower end headphones.

• Design - I have some reservations about the silver grille piece, as it looks a bit gaudy to me and just not that well integrated with the rest of the cup. In general this headphone has an aesthetic that to me doesn’t quite fit with the intended use, as it’s almost a bit ‘gamery’. But that stuff is all purely subjective, maybe it’s right for someone else.

• Functions - Very straightforward and simple features. There’s a button for power, and you hold that to put it into pairing mode. Then above that there’s an ANC button that cycles through passive, active and ambient modes. On the other side you’ve got volume buttons and a USB-C port.

If anyone else has tried out this headphone, let me know what you think, and if you’d have any additional commentary on use case, because as I mentioned my situation might be different from yours.

16 Likes

I’d be really interested to see a head to head comparison with the AKG N700nc Mk2. Despite the massive price difference, it seems that the n700nc is looking to be the thing to beat in terms of sound quality, and may serve as a good point of comparison as to where the 5909 stands. Anyways, insightful commentary as always.

2 Likes

Thank you for this awesome analysis!

I have the MLs and the px8 and bathys on the way to figure out which 1-2 to keep. I wanted to mention that I found the 10k hz analysis very interesting. I am normally sensitive to sibilance but I did not hear that aspect of the headphones on my own listening. I actually went back and listened to the example track you referenced and I found it very satisfying in its rendition.

Now this could all just be individual hearing variations but I was just curious if this difference was firmware related at all since I only recently got my pair. I don’t have any access to the change logs for the firmware upgrades so I don’t know if anything has been tweaked since then but perhaps you know?

I also wanted to add that while I did not have issues with items 2 and 3, I think it is worth mentioning that the on-ear detection is VERY glitchy and I just keep it turned off. In addition, the app itself is buggy with regards to connecting to the headphones.

Neither of these two issues are killers for me but might be for others.

Thanks!

1 Like

It could be that they fixed this with a firmware update - I need to check again. A few of us brought this feedback to them early on, and so they were well aware of it. I’m hopeful that they’ve improved it.

1 Like

I heard from them that they were working on the on ear detection issue with the current pending firmware upgrade

Where does one ask questions on issues with the Mark Levinson No 5909 headphones? I have audio dropouts when connected to a PC via USB to USB connection.

Try emailing them via their support channel? Tried a different USB cable? Tried a different device/amp/dac?

1 Like

I’m reviewing the ML 5909 right now and I haven’t had any problems with the ON-HEAD detection.

Maybe it’s due to my big head. :rofl:

Firmware V1.5.0.8 according to the app.

They are really nice-sounding headphones.

Cheers
Frederick

1 Like

Have you looked around in the Windows sound settings?

Sometimes you need to adjust them to make it work.

I have no problem hooking up the 5909 to my Windows laptop via USB.

Cheers
Frederick

Will Mark Levinson fix that unnatural high frequency bump? It makes sizzle cymbals sound unnatural.

I just bought ML5909 and briefly checked the Bluetooth and sound with two songs. Good musical sound. But earlier today when I spreaded the headband and was about to put the headphone on my head, there came a loud cracking sound. Examined and saw the plastic parts keeping the upper and lower sides of the headband separated , leaving a crack/gap at the left side of the headband. The very expensive headphone I bought is a defective product. May I ask if anyone coming across similar situation? How to fix it,? I tried to press the parts hoping to fix it, but the same happening once I spreaded the two ear cups. Thanks

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about how to fix it. Shouldn’t have to fix a new thousand dollar headphone. Contact where you purchased it and return it would be my suggestion.

3 Likes

Folks!

I’ve done a pretty thorough test of the Mark Levinson 5909 – my take on one of the most expensive wireless headphones on the market. Some users like them more than Focal Bathys and Bowers & Wilkins Px8.

I found them to have really good clarity in the upper mid-range with lots of details and a nice stereo panorama.

Supporting the Sony LDAC codec, they sound really good via Bluetooth on an Android phone.

If you have a couple of minutes to spare, please consider watching my review. :pray:

Have a nice Sunday
Frederick

4 Likes

How does one fix the leather on the headband? The leather on the underside of the headband is separating from the headband itself.

Anyone tested the 5909 in combination with a headphone amplifier and found it distorted at higher volumes? My test setup is: Laptop wired USB to a BURSON AUDIO Conductor 3X Performance, wired output to the Mark Levinson No5909 and using Qobuz. I’m frustrated with the performance. At lower volumes great sound by the way.

It depends on what you mean by “higher volumes”.

They have a max-rating of 98 dB/SPL, which is quite loud as an average listening level, but not that much at all for musical peaks if you’re listening to very dynamic content at 80 dB/SPL or so average.

That only requires a bit over 1mW to achieve (by 2mW you’re at 100 dB/SPL).

Your Burson can deliver 1500mW into the 32 ohms of the 5909s … so it won’t take very much movement on the volume dial to push the headphones into distortion.

You might want to grab a dB/SPL meter for your phone (assuming you don’t have a dedicated instrument) and see what output level you’re actually getting on your 5909 so you can quantify “higher volumes”.

It sounds great at 90dB, but indeed between 95-103 dB it distorts.

At first I LOVED my new Levinsons. I need wireless and noise cancelling first, as I travel a lot and on planes and airports the 5909s are as good as anything I’ve had (B&O, Bose,…). Clarity, accuracy and full range I believed were most important. (I’m old school and still have Dahlquist speakers for stereo image and vinyl when I’m truly listening.). I haven’t found the Levinsons to have any “depth” in their image, although sound placement laterally across seems accurate to me. Guitar riffs, bass, keyboards, specific vocals all seem correctly R to L and don’t vary.
I’m not a sound engineer but love music. And find music as the perfect escape during travel (planes, airports).
I’ve had terrible Bluetooth issues after about 3 months, so I’ll be calling them to ship them back.
What I love about finding this site is that as a “consumer” the 5909 seems extremely high-end. But now I’ve opened myself up to a world where there are dozens of alternatives and plenty of ways to spend too much money :).
Given the wireless-noise cancelling objective, how do these compare to others below $2,000?

3 Likes