Shure Aonic 50 Bluetooth Headphones?

Has anyone tried these out or seen any decent reviews? I’ve been in the market for a pair of BT over-ear headphones to knock-around when i’m on the go, and I really liked the way these look.

I’m seeing poor feedback about their durability, but apparently they sound great. Any first hand experiences?

I owned them for a while. They’re overrated and overpriced.

They’re heavy for Bluetooth cans. Those cups are big, and they hang on the sides of your head like tuna cans. Sure, they’re smaller than the egg-shaped cups of HiFiMan wired models and lighter than the wired barbells hanging on your skull produced by Audeze and Abyss, but these things are still heavy for Bluetooth cans.

The cups aren’t as deep as they look in the photo. My right ear, which admittedly has some protruding cartilage, touched the grills, causing pain. And your ears get hot and swampy in these things, too.

Now to the sound. These may have the Shure name, but they have a V-shaped sound signature just like the Bose, Sony and Sennheiser consumer-oriented models with which they’re trying to compete. Any claims from Shure that these have “audiophile grade” sound is pure marketing BS.

The ANC is very average. Nowhere near as good as Sony or Bose, if ANC is an important feature for you.

One last point: For some reason, these cans’ ANC microphones picked up wind noise something fierce, Hell, I sometimes heard a whooshing sound in one of the cups just when hustling out of my office door inside!

These cans are very average, at best. I wouldn’t pay more than $200 for them, and they retail for $300 at Amazon. Not worth that price.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! This was very insightful. I’ll probably end up leaning more B&W or Audio Technica for the price.

I just want some decent sounding BT headphones that look good also. My price range is flexible, but i’d rather not pay a $500 for AirPod Max.

1 Like

Avoid the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT like genital warts.

V-shaped, hot treble, complex passages of music dissolve into mush. Plus they are the most uncomfortable headphones I’ve ever worn. Felt like my ears were being fried by a blowtorch after 30 minutes.

If you have small ears, I recommend the Final Audio UX3000. Excellent sound for a Bluetooth over-ear, decent ANC. These sound better than the V-shaped sound signatures of Sony, Sennheiser, Bose or Beats consumer-oriented Bluetooth over ears, and they’re only $179: https://www.amazon.com/UX3000-Wireless-Overhead-Headphones-Cancelling/dp/B09LR5SK75

But there is a caveat, as I mentioned at the start of the previous paragraph: The cups on these things are tiny. If you have small ears, they should fit. If you have medium ears, it might be a tight squeeze. If you have medium-large or large ears (like me), forget it.

I was bummed to return the UX3000 since the sound was quite neutral and good for an ANC Bluetooth over-ear. But the cups were so small that they almost felt like an on-ear.

1 Like

I disagree. The Aonic 50 do sound good, tuned very good, easy to EQ and they are worth every penny. They are not V-shaped and very detailed.

I love the ux3000 too, btw.

1 Like