Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X - Official Thread

Quick Impression - YAXI for HD-580
The YAXI box says that they are made from “protein leather” and Alcantara. Protein leather is the better kind of pleather, not plastic leather, and I think Alcantara is made from the skin of dead Toyota seats, the fabric kind. In any event, the pleather is at this point supple, and the Alcantara, while not velour, is pretty comfortable.

Although ordered for my HD-580, the package touts use with the HD-650. I tried putting one on my HD-6xx, but had trouble pressing it into place- seemed not quite to fit. Probably my not wanting to use enough force. So I moved to the venerable HD 580 Jubilee, and removed the original earpads for the first time. More than 20 years, if it ain’t broke.

Comparing the pads and the filters, the new YAXI pads are maybe 1/16 inch (2.5mm?) thicker. The filter foam is also slightly thicker. I don’t recall the original pads having been crushed. They still feel good, but it’s always possible that they may have deteriorated a bit over the years. The original pads are a velvet or velour type fabric.

After putting on the new YAXI pads, my old headphones appeared quite different. The original pads seemed to visually go away, and these are prominent. The clamping force is a bit greater with the new pads due to their thickness, but it is not objectionable and they are quite comfortable.

I listened to a selection of streaming and downloaded music from TIDAL, and a bit of Radio Paradise. All at FLAC 44.1/16 or better (MQA master) running the HD-580s from an older iPad Air through the Dragonfly Cobalt. Either the headphones sound a bit better, or the placebo effect is working. I think the soundstage is slightly improved, noted on both the Stones’ “She’s a Rainbow” (MQA, 2012 remaster) and Shenandoah from Dave Gruisin’ and Lee Ritenour’s Two Worlds album (Tidal HIFI 44.1/16).

Bass may be slightly improved also, but it will take a bit of listening. I think the pleather is good for the bass. I was concerned at the slightly greater distance from the drivers, but it didn’t seem to cause any problems. What I did find, when listening critically to this headphone again, is that it is beautifully balanced, and is truly a gateway into the headphone hi-fi world. I still prefer the HD-6xx with the Lyr3 powering it, but the HD-580’s ability to go with a DFC is great.

I think I like the YAXI pads. Need to see if they heat up my head too much on warm days, or are more resistant to sweat than the original pads. I can’t see at this level headphone doing a lot of pad rolling. It’s quite good enough.

6 Likes