Measurements: Charts, Graphs, Software & Methods

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with either of these two Audio measurement/Analysis devices. I have been thinking about picking one up for the work on some of my other projects I am working on. Where I need little more than a signal generator and oscilloscope

1). Spectral Measurement dScope M1 http://www.prismsound.com/test_measure/products_subs/dscope_m1/dscope_m1_home.php

1. Avermetrics AverLAB https://www.avermetrics.com/products/averlab/
    Love it work with Mac via Ethernet, but it will need an external box for amp attenuation.

Here is a nice manual for doing audio tests on Amplifiers from Tektronix http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/mbrs/recording_preservation/manuals/Tektronix%20Cookbook%20of%20Standard%20Audio%20Tests.pdf

2 Likes

For anyone who hasnā€™t seen it, check out the latest B&K vid:

7 Likes

Very informative. Letā€™s hope that if the data gleaned from this is really good that it filters down to consumer grade HATS/Measurement rigs. This would be great if it allows accurate measurements across the whole spectrum from 20 to 20,000 kHz.

3 Likes

Just posting Crinā€™s recent basics article here:

This is helpful and informative for anyone new to measurements and graphs or looking to understand them better. I find the section on fundamental vs harmonic tone very interesting. I did a video that touches on this a bit, but itā€™s a subject that goes very deep and so Iā€™m considering covering it further.

9 Likes

crinacle recently published what might be the best article Iā€™ve seen on the topic.

2 Likes

On the topic of measurements, charts, and graphs. The AutoEQ application developer just released a list of headphones and IEMs ranked by how close they are to the Harman preferred curve. The results are from data/measurements taken from oratory1990 and Crinacle (and probably his own?).

Top six for headphones according to him/her.

And for IEMs:

1 Like

Similar thread on Reddit r/oratory1990:
After EQ,Beats Solo Pro is the best headphone? https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/gbdi7v/after_eqbeats_solo_pro_is_the_best_headphone/

1 Like

That kind of shows that measurements are only to be taken into consideration, and not used as ā€˜final wordā€™ regarding a Headphones performance.

3 Likes

This is why Reddit is trash.

2 Likes

https://www.soundstagesolo.com/index.php/features/246-the-biggest-lie-in-audio

that was a good articleā€¦ but, what about measurement disparity between rigs? or outlier factors such as chain in measurement rigs, knowledge on how to use said measurement rigsā€¦ etcā€¦

the other thing that measurements canā€™t account for as he even states is preferenceā€¦ and audio chainā€¦

I also wonder about how some people utilize these measurements to tell ā€œtheirā€ storyā€¦ and while maybe not manipulating the data too much, but potentially obfuscating it to make it better/worse than it really is?

So could the biggest lie in audio not really be the measurements, but the biases* of those taking such measurements? Or the inexperience or background to properly take those measurements in the first place?

Measurements are scientific and tell a accurate story, when properly administered. With those measurements one can then get an idea if a headphone/speaker will at least be mildly enjoyable to a mass targeted audience (with appropriate measurement curve in place). Then, one needs to hear it for themselvesā€¦ and consider their personal biases on if it will fit their lifestyle and preferences.

Plus donā€™t even get me started on the anatomy factors that play into ones enjoymentā€¦ One only has to go as far as the HEDDPhone thread to see that, for many that headphone sounds fantastic but depending on ones anatomy can be too heavy, not fit right and canā€™t get a proper seal so wonā€™t sound its bestā€¦etcā€¦ or the fact that peoples ears are all shaped differently to some level causing disparity between individualsā€¦ how much I donā€™t know but it is a factor :wink: throw in even smaller random factors such as sleep level, drugs (coffee, alcohol, hallucinogensā€™, downers/uppersā€¦drugs lol), time of day, elevation pressure, irritation/happiness level, mood, and many, many other factors that play into our moments of listening/evaluation of a thing.

so to sum it up or TLDR: Measurements are fantastic at telling one side of a story and to get majority of people that actually know what they are looking at when looking at a properly administered or explained FR and knowledge of the measurement chain that got it there. With explanation of the ā€œcurvesā€ applied or any other ā€œthat person did to make it thingsā€, one can generally determine if a headphone/speaker is good based on measurements aloneā€¦to a pointā€¦ as we humans are vastly complex and fickle beasts with many factors that play into our enjoyment of a thingā€¦ let alone those that just want to be contrary for contrary sake (sometimes known asā€¦ trolls, please donā€™t feed them)

Sorry for the rambleā€¦Iā€™m in a ā€œmoodā€ lol

*biases can be both good and bad or neutral. I will oversimplify this very complex issue: Good bias is I like vanilla ice-cream over chocolate (or vice verse, also this is a good bias based on ones preference based on trying multiple things and coming to the conclusion of your personal enjoyment of said thing). bad bias is crossing the street to avoid a person based on a taught bias. Neutral bias learned behavior based on experience such as I wonā€™t touch glowing red things because they will burn me even LEDs lol( sorry early morning and tired couldnā€™t think of a good example of neutral bias)

11 Likes

Very well stated.

The tests could be a standard, but the methods of how they are administered and the way the data is interpreted often times are not.

This reminded me of the recent video Amos (@Currawong) posted where he discussed how people sometimes change some of the parameters to skew data (Iā€™m paraphrasing).

Excellent points, Tyler. :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Yea we have a very short discussion on this on discord last night, but I think from my small-brain on this whole matter, that you can gauge a lot about tonality from an FR curve if, and only if:

1. you know what measurement rig is used
  2. you know what you like and how itā€™s shaped using said measurement rig
  3. you only care about tonality

But, to me, tonality isnā€™t everything. Itā€™s a lot though, and i think for a vast majority of every day consumers, tonality is all they care about, but for audiophile nerds, we care about some of that other final 20% ā€“ the technical capabilities ā€“ the stuff that Iā€™m not so good at deciphering from just a FR graph.

4 Likes

exactly =) I think there is a lot of value in measurementsā€¦ but, they donā€™t tell the whole story and depending on multiple factors can be deceptive (intentional or not).

2 Likes

You talk a lot of sense and your views pretty much align with mine. Especially when it comes to the inherent biases of the measurer. People often forget the HUGE number of Variables that go with measuring and publishing said measurements can be manipulated. Nice writeup though @TylersEclectic.

2 Likes

Very interesting stuffā€¦ Thanks everyoneā€¦

I didnā€™t see it mentioned in this thread, but Tyllā€™s write up on measurements and interpretation is an interesting read tooā€¦

3 Likes

Great reference! Thanks for posting. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Excellent points, and I can only agree. A growing trend in the community seems to be to encourage people to just stop trusting our ears entirely if we donā€™t want to put a blindfold on because our ears donā€™t tell us 100% of the truth, and instead we should allow the measured predictions to make decisions for us. I mean whatā€™s next, performing blind taste tests to prove that you really like Coca Cola more than Pepsi? Just to be clear though, Iā€™m not against blind-testing and have done a few blind-tests myself as well, but because I didnā€™t conduct it within a strictly controlled environment with raw uncut video footage, it never happenedā€¦ :slight_smile:

Of course we canā€™t trust our ears to tell us nothing but the truth about the sound weā€™re hearing. I try to find a balance between being reasonably confident that about being able to hear desirable difference, and allowing myself some peace of mind knowing that people who I choose to trust support that purchase. And of course other factors outside of just the sound aspect also contribute a great deal to our biases. I canā€™t deny that the Empyreanā€™s comfort makes me a bit more forgiving of its sonic imperfections, for example.

The problem isnā€™t only found on 1 side of the objective/subjective debate either. There are people on either side who are ignorant or in denial of their own biases (which ironically is an overconfidence bias), and the reality is that neither side is winning anything.

5 Likes

This, soo much this!!! The biggest problem with biases is that people donā€™t even realize they have them or more appropriately donā€™t self reflect on their own biasesā€¦and just charge full steam ahead with themā€¦hence the pickle we are in todayā€¦

Biases are also tied to stereotypes in that they proliferate themā€¦ by teaching others or amplifying them in closed groups with no outside thinkers breaking in to dilute the closed-mindedness of their thinking, due to backlash or straight-up harassment /bullying.

Hopefully, this trend slowly goes awayā€¦but I think it is inherent in human nature to clique up! Cliques are probably the biggest damaging factorā€¦ as they just self promote and accentuate their group think mentalitiesā€¦ this can be seen pretty heavily in the different Discords and Reddit groups.

4 Likes