Monoprice Liquid Platinum Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli

I’ve wondered for some time how the Liquid Platinum sounds compared to the Lyr 3.

2 Likes

So you would say it has more depth and lifelike layering? I own the Lyr 3. What I’m getting from your comment is the LP will let you notice more grip when texture comes through in the dynamics of the music.

2 Likes

Yes. Definitely more depth and better layering with the LP vs. Lyr 3. The biggest difference, is with the transients and tonality. The LP just takes things to another level, and makes things sound quite a bit more natural or real sounding. When listening with the LP, it is like being there with the musicians, and when listening with the Lyr 3 it just does not quite have the magic. Don’t get me wrong, the Lyr 3 is a killer amp, and had I not heard the LP side by side, I would be completely happy with the Lyr 3.

3 Likes

Do you recall with which headphones you could tell those differences? This is actually something I’m trying to do, as a current exercise with the HD660S:

• Fiio K3: 2.5mm balanced;
  • Liquid Spark: TRS unbalaced;
  • Liquid Platinum: XLR 4-pin balanced.

They’re all level matched with a dBA decibel meter, and have been using HartAudio interconnects to A/B/C them in a quick fashion.

I hope someday I’ll be able to tell a difference. I’ll keep trying until then. :smile:

1 Like

I have used my ZMF Aelous, ZMF Ori, ZMF Blackwood and MrSpeakers Alpha Prime headphones, with both amps connected to my Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC. I will say, that the DAC plays a big part in being able to showcase the differences between the 2 amps, as well as the capability of the headphones being used. I own the Sennheiser HD650, and that headphone is harder to hear the differences with. I think it may have something to do with the lack of extension down low, and at the tip top.

2 Likes

Grab yourself a Bifrost 2 to run balanced with that beautiful Liquid Platinum maybe :wink: Or not. The audiophile market is huge so get whatever suits you.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. Thanks!

And that is the exact reason why I’ll keep trying (on a relaxed pace, of course – no pressures). My theory is, if I’m able to distinguish them by using entry-level DACs, then it will probably be easier to catch differences when I upgrade parts of my rig down the road.

Definitely on the radar. Not in a rush though.:wink:

Cheers.

2 Likes

Figured I would pop my two cents in. I LOVE this amp and pretty much anything Cavalli. I have an.LCX that I am trying to sell (no more room) and a Liquid Spark in the office.

I was interested in this amp when it first came out, but the price was 779.00 in US's (I am in Canada). Too much for me.

However as time went by, I started buying Cavalli amps and the prices started dropping. I was interested at $699.00 and very interested at $649.00. When it dropped to $599.00, I bought it. And then it kept dropping. :slightly_frowning_face:

Doesn’t matter, it was a great purchase. This amp makes my Sundara’s and Elex’s really sing. Vocals, bass, everything just sounds wide open. I bought some Amperex tubes but did not give them enough time to break in. I will roll more tubes down the road. This amp is not going anywhere.

The only downside to it for me is the high gain. My Grado’s, Meze 99’s and Fostex’s have to play between 8:00 and 9:00. There is much music that can only play between 8:00-8:30. To be honest though, I am a quiet listener. And I bought a balanced Periapt cable for the Fostex’s to use them.on the LP. :grin:

This amp is best used via balanced output. My Violectric amp only puts out SE. The two machines are a great 1-2 punch!

At $500.00 to $549.00, this amp is a no-brainer. As long as you have your more efficient headphones/IEM’s covered with something else. If you don’t have anything under 80 Ohm, everything is perfect.

7 Likes

Hi @Hacksaw, please let us know your impressions in this thread, after you get acclimated with the LP.

Here’s something he shared in a recent post from another thread:

PS.: I’ll keep an eye for the Genalex Gold Lion 6922 valves. Thanks much!

3 Likes

OMG I violated so many rules in the first day i owned this frick’en thing! Still works so I guess I was lucky.

1 Like

Can you give us an example? Like shorting the left/right differential channels? :smile:

Oh lets see… I kept swapping XLR inputs between AMPs to test the difference in sound while the amps were still on. Unplugged the headphone jack while the volume was still up. Licked the tubes…

3 Likes

When did this happen? It totally flew under my radar.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38967

5 Likes

It’s had multiple release dates, all the way back to Feb, as has the liquid plat dac and the liquid spark dac.

1 Like

Multiple release dates doesn’t inspire confidence. I read it as: delayed several times due to issues.

What issues?

3 Likes

It’s probably just manufacturing issues, probably due to Covid as I said it isn’t just the liquid gold that this has happened to, it’s most of Monoprices new items.
There is a review kicking around on Head-Fi.

2 Likes

But I’ve been reading their DACs have been delaying since pre-COVID era. Something else is happening.

2 Likes

Looks like this is finally coming next week. Let’s see… :eyes:

The small LS DAC may also be released.

2 Likes

It’s really coming. Specs and user guide for the Liquid Gold are out: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38967

Liquid Platinum is more powerful than the new sibling. By a small margin.

2 Likes

Been spending a lot of time on my Woo Audio WA2. Bought some new tubes so will be spending more time on it when they arrive. I decided to dig out the MLP for a change and try my new HD800s on it. I have to say it sounds pretty good. Drives the HD800s well. You get a lot of bass which is nice. Using the Bifrost2 and Tidal at the moment. Going to plug it into the turntable next to see how it sounds. That is my primary configuration for the WA2 these days.

4 Likes