MrSpeakers Ether 2 - Official Thread

That is no bueno, but at least it was remedied… I may have to get an ears just for this reason… but I really don’t want to lol… we’ll see though as that could in itself be interesting to compare across all of us that have or will have them.

1 Like

Yeah I completely appreciate the resistance to getting one. Part of me wants to go back to evaluating stuff without it - but it does also provide comparative reference points, and it can help a bit with EQ.

Regarding the E2, I’m so unbelievably impressed with the mrspeakers support team. I’ve never had such a positive and swift process for remedying an issue. The folks over there the nicest people.

3 Likes

Yeah, I had a good experience with them also…but they did try and sell me a completely new cable to replace the plastic indicator band…:rofl:

1 Like

This is a significant enough deviation from what I measured, that it makes me wonder how I should best proceed. I’m actually more worried that there is this much deviation between two units, without an explanation as to why.

Did MrSpeakers actually identify a fault with the first pair?

If so, did they say what it was?

This puts me in a bit of a bind. I’m hesitant to post my review based on the first pair, since it’s not clear if a) they actually were faulty or b) if they had this fault when I listened to them (measurements say “maybe”, or “yes” if comparing to your 2nd set) or developed it after I had sent them on.

I saw elsewhere that you’re still experiencing the “crinkling” sound - which is something I did not experience at all with the first pair. Which further raises the specter of “something” being afoot.

So my inclination is to a) have you get a definitive statement from MrSpeakers on whether the first unit is actually faulty and b) some indication that they think the new unit is representative of properly-functioning units. And then use that to determine what’s really going on.

Absent that, I have to hold my own review at this point. And the only way I could complete it the way I would want to would require getting TWO Ether 2 units, verifying they perform, sound and measure similarly, testing for the crinkling with both, and then re-doing all my review listening on those - which is, to be honest, not very appealing.

Such a pain …

Beyond that, most of the increased treble energy seems to be from the presence and air regions and above then about 13 kHz (where there is little musical information anyway) … and in the lower treble up up to the presence region the 2nd unit actually has less energy … which to me would make me think they’d sound more open and spacious but not necessarily any brighter.

5 Likes

Product variation is concerning indeed. For what it’s worth, the Ether 2 I heard at RMAF did not sound anything like how people describe their production units. Add to that a few SBAF reports of people sending in their E2 for sound issues and getting back completely different sounding replacements… I’m not thrilled to buy something when I don’t know what I am going to get.

3 Likes

Yeah I was trying to get some clarity on the crinkle issue, and it looks like some of the other earlier units had some inconsistencies with measurement as well (like from vtory’s examples). I’ll take another measurement here today, but the gist is that the new unit is a significant improvement in terms of tonality. It went from no treble and dark/muffled to tastefully warm.

The crinkle issue is a bigger concern because the new unit has it just as bad, but I think I’ve found the reason. I have a beard, and this causes pressure inconsistencies, which in turn cause the crinkle. I had my girlfriend try it (she’s not rocking a beard) and she only experienced the crinkle when touching the cup. For me it’s unfortunately completely unusable due to that issue. It occurs even just when moving my head or jaw. Hopefully the new pads make the E2 hipster friendly haha. I’ll be putting together my review of the new unit shortly because I feel like it sounds pretty good, with the caveat that there’s some unit variation. I didn’t get an answer on whether or not the old unit is borked because they haven’t received it yet. I may follow up with them and try to get some clarity there.

3 Likes

I felt like when I had the unit it was close to the LCD-X but with added warmth…not dark or overly bass heavy…it was more relaxed/rolled off? Now I’m questioning my review lol…especially since I had a very sporadic listening experience with it due to work and family obligations.

Well, I think :thinking: I can only go by my ears at the time…I’ll stick by my review as my opinion of that unit at that specific time :upside_down_face::headphones::nerd_face::tumbler_glass::person_in_lotus_position:‍♂

Hopefully @Torq can get the info he needs to feel comfortable posting his review, they are always informative and enjoyable reads. But I understand the need to hold off, I can imagine the frustration of putting the work and time into this and having to hold off posting. Also knowing that more time and work will be needed to complete something that was thought to be completed.

Also kind of fun seeing how this has brought to light some cool information, @Resolve beard causing issues…hipsters…they ruin everything :wink: /s /jokes. Also that the variance in Ether2 reminds me of the tales of the old LCD2s that had “god rolls” (video game reference).

Fun times

2 Likes

Sadly, the only way I can do that, with the current review, is a confirmation, somehow, from MrSpeakers, that the unit I reviewed, in the state it was in when I had it, was both functioning properly and an accurate representation of what the Ether 2 should be. And even that won’t be helpful if it differs, meaningfully, to other reviews (as it will, on a measurements basis, as well as my comments about them being dark but not veiled).

The only data I can give them on that are my already-posted measurements, which differ a fair bit from what @Resolve is seeing now too (though they’re weren’t spot on in agreement previously).

Otherwise I a) have to re-review them and b) to have any confidence about what I say do that for two units at the same time that sound/behave/measure essentially the same. Anything less and it just becomes a lightning rod for lovers-vs-haters to base their arguments on (be it about different sound due to one unit being faulty or due to potential larger-than-normal copy-to-copy variations).

We’ll see, but I don’t think a re-review is going to happen for me … just on the basis of time and schedule.

2 Likes

Part of the reason I don’t want to get into measuring rigs lol, I like the ability to just talk about it from my point of view at the time​:face_with_monocle::tumbler_glass::crazy_face:

Which makes for strong subjective inference, but I do my best to highlight when I’m being subjective, and to stay away from definitive statements without factual cause to back it.

Plus if I got a measurement rig that is just one more thing to dive into and learn, which at this time I want to focus my time and brain power on other endeavors :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yeah I can’t vouch for the purity of my measurement environment either - it’s just sat on a desk (I tried to use a rubber mat to avoid vibration as well, which helps). But given the difference between units using the same environment, I’d be curious to see a review of two new units to see how they compare on your rig.

As to the old vs new differences, my current understanding from poking around various other forums is that the older units had more variation (in the darker sense), and the new units seem to measure a bit closer to one another. It could be the case that they’re now in line with typical planar unit variation. But if I had evaluated the initial pair based strictly on hearing it alone, it would not have been a particularly favorable review, so it’s definitely a concern when it comes to the love it vs hate it conclusions. The last thing I’d want is to misrepresent the product by reviewing a bad unit. As to where this occurred, I can’t say whether it was before or after @TylersEclectic evaluated it, but for reference, the old unit sounded considerably darker than an HD650. The new unit is about the same kind of warm.

2 Likes

Your description of the new unit seems inline with my thoughts on it…which maybe my ears are broken if it comes back as not broken? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I’m definitely in the camp that prefers the subjective narrative to be based on listening, and performed ahead of any measurements (expectation bias works just as effectively there …). I rarely measure before I listen, and if I do (principally for posts here), I tend not to look at the measurements ahead of finishing my subjective assessment (it’s a useful self-check that way, too).

Reviews that essentially narrate the frequency response plot lose me very quickly (I can do it faster, and more in line with my own understanding of how FR maps to my preferences/interpretation just by reading the graph and skipping the narrative).

But having the ability to measure is still useful, even if you never publish a single measurement. It gives you data for your own headphones in your own system. It’s useful for seeing how well EQ adjustments map to what you hear/expect and their actual effect on measured FR.

4 Likes

Your last sentence is specifically why I want a set. Also because it would help in scenarios like his one…I’ll start researching a rig, damn it :wink: lol

Mrspeakers Ether 2 - Ultralight

Introduction

For the past several years, Mrspeakers has been turning the traditional perception of planar magnetic headphones on its head. In the enthusiast community, many of us are used to the enormous offerings from cornerstone companies like Audeze and HiFiMAN, with the recognition that they often sound incredible, making it easier to ignore how huge or heavy they are. But size and weight have often been barriers to demographics whose concept of headphones doesn’t principally emphasize sound quality, and the notion of wearing something that weighs over 400g and looks like an 80’s air conditioner for the majority of the day just doesn’t seem appealing. Thankfully the industry has recognized this, and Mrspeakers is at the forefront of the issue, coming up with designs everyone else needs to pay attention to. The Ether 2 is their latest offering that aims to bring flagship sound quality to a more manageable package - especially for those of us who wear headphones for the whole day.

When I first became aware of the Ether 2, my immediate thought was that somehow Mrspeakers was reading my mind. They seem to have taken every criticism I’ve ever had of high end headphones, namely that they’re not usable for long sessions because of their weight, size, comfort, and overly bright tonality, and addressed specifically those issues. I get the feeling that the goal with this headphone was to provide flagship performance and sonic capabilities without paying the price in weight, size, and comfort. My evaluation of the Ether 2 is an attempt to answer whether or not they’ve pulled it off.

Specs:
Driver Type - Planar Magnetic
Driver Size - 71x45mm
Impedance - 16 ohms
Weight - 290 grams
Ear Pad Material - Synthetic Protein
Price - $1,999

Source:
FLAC Library, TIDAL (HiFi and Master) - iFi iDSD Micro Black Label -> Cayin IHA-6 (balanced output) -> Ether 2

Music
For the Ether 2, I went for my usual set of instrumental jazz with the likes of Michael Wollny and Ulf Wakenius, along with vocal performances from Holly Cole and Renee Olstead. I’ve also really been enjoying Julian Lage for instrumental guitar. For the sibilance tests I use Patricia Barber’s ‘Code Cool’, which is always a staple for identifying problem areas and then Alison Krauss’s ‘Paper Airplane’ for optimally recorded vocals. For rougher material I tried out some In Flames (the old stuff) and Amorphis, both of which I consider to be total crap, but perhaps a guilty pleasure and totally able to scratch the more aggressive itch, along with my preferred albums from Opeth and Steven Wilson.

Design
Right away I’m reminded that Mrspeakers does design better than just about anyone else. It’s a surprisingly small headphone, considering it’s a full sized over-ear open-back design. The housing is well constructed and extremely material efficient, with a thinner structure than both the Ether 1 and Aeon Flow headphones. The Ether 2 also weighs only 290g, which is even lighter than the Aeon. This is both surprising and impressive considering the larger 71x45mm driver of the Ether 2. In order to achieve this, Mrspeakers developed a new driver for the Ether 2, improving upon the previous design.

The company boasts a 70% reduction in aluminum trace weight for the Ether 2’s driver, but perhaps more interesting is the stated design around their TrueFlow waveguide technology. This has been implemented in their other planar magnetic driver headphones, and similar techniques have been employed by competing Audeze Headphones with their ‘Fazor’ tech. Essentially this is perforated material that allows the planar driver to produce a cleaner and more curated signal. Normally this is something added to the planar driver (to varying success), but the Ether 2 has been designed around this concept in principle. In theory this should allow for better reproduction of “lower level” information. While it’s presently unclear to me how much of this approach contributes to tangible resolution benefits, at the very least the Ether 2 is considerably lighter and more nimble than its predecessor, and if it sounds at least as good then that’s a win in my book.

The Ether 2’s design does almost everything right, with one exception that unfortunately is a major deal-breaker for me. My biggest criticism of this headphone is that it exhibits the dreaded ‘planar crinkle’ like nothing else I’ve ever experienced. I have to state this as my own experience, with the recognition that most of the people I’ve had try the Ether 2 haven’t had this issue. It took me some time to figure out why this is such an issue but I can conclude that it’s due to inconsistencies in the seal pressure for the pads on the side of my head. As I move my head even slightly from left to right, the seal pressure changes, causing the crinkle effect to occur. I haven’t had this issue with any other headphone, at least not to the same degree, and I’ve identified that this is because the ear cutouts on the Ether 2’s pads are a bit too small for my ears. This causes the bottom part of the pad to rest slightly on the bottom of my ear. There’s also a distinct possibility that this is caused by my beard getting in the way of a proper seal. The bottom line is that if you have larger than average ears or ear lobes (like I do), or have some kind of facial hair, check with Mrspeakers first to make sure you won’t have this problem.

Build & Comfort
Due to its lower weight, the Ether 2 is extremely comfortable. I personally own the Aeon Flow, and find that while it’s reasonably comfortable, there’s a bit of clamp force that takes some getting used to, and the headband doesn’t have elasticity for the suspension system. Both of these concerns have been improved on the Ether 2. Not only is the clamp force less noticeable (and indeed the headphone’s housing structure is thinner), but the headband has been improved by putting fairly sizable holes across the top making it more breathable and adding a bit of give as well. The build quality for the housing feels quite solid, and the headband top piece is the same Nitinol system used in the Aeon (which is both light and reliable). If I’m to nitpick, it’s that the headband again isn’t a fully elastic suspension system, which is my preference, and of course, time will tell how well that headband strap holds up. Overall this is an improvement on its predecessors for comfort and I rank this as one of the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever worn - certainly more comfortable than similar priced offerings from Focal, HiFiMAN, Audeze and ZMF, and that’s even taking into consideration the improvements to comfort these companies have been making in recent years as well.

FXT35686

Performance

Detail retrieval - I tend to view detail retrieval and resolution as somewhat dependent on the tonality, but not exhausted by it - and so in that sense it’s clear that improvements to the planar driver make the primary contribution here. While the Ether 2 doesn’t immediately force details upon you the way other more clinical and analytic headphones do (headphones with a brighter tonality), it does impressively well in the detail department. It’s a marked improvement over its predecessor, and over the Aeon Flow series as well. I rate it very similar to that of the Focal Clear, putting it in strong company, but it should be noted that it doesn’t match that of the ZMF Vérité, Focal Utopia, Stellia or Audeze LCD4.

Speed & dynamics - This has always been a strong point of planar magnetics and the Ether 2 is no exception. It’s tight and well controlled providing a very punchy and engaging sound as should be expected at this price point, however due to the tonality again, it doesn’t sound quite as nimble as some of the HiFiMAN planars around the same price or above. The Ether 2 doesn’t take a step back in this regard, but it doesn’t stand out to me as the primary reason I would reach for a Mrspeakers headphone (like it may have at a lower price bracket). Similarly, it doesn’t hit as hard as I’ve come to enjoy with some of the ZMF flagships, but it does also do better than the Aeon Flow (closed) in this regard.

Soundstage & imaging - If anything, the standout qualities of the Ether 2 are the soundstage and imaging. This is a very spacious sound, with lots of room for instrument separation. The imaging is probably my favorite aspect, with exceptional structural definition. I do connect this quality to ultimate resolution and detail ability as well. So it’s not just that the images have positional accuracy, it’s that they are discernibly distinct from one another as well.

Timbre - Unsurprisingly the Ether 2 does have the planar timbre, and in my opinion that’s a very enjoyable quality. I can only describe this as a ‘plucked’ quality to the tones, which is likely one of the reasons it sounds fast and tight as well. But of course, there will be those who simply prefer the way dynamic drivers sound and the Ether 2 won’t do anything to change the minds of those who don’t enjoy the planar timbre. For those who do, this is more of the same.

Tonality
It should be noted that the initial unit I tested may have been defective. It sounded extremely dark - to the point where I can’t confidently attribute its tonality to typical planar unit to unit tonality variation. Mrspeakers kindly sent me a new unit which sounds much better to my taste, and it measures considerably better as well.

E2%20averaged
This is taken with a MiniDSP EARS rig that should not be considered objective or industry standard. It’s only useful for comparing with measurements from the same or similar rig. This is the HEQ compensated measurement calibrated at 300hz.

The main takeaway from the Ether 2’s tonality is that it’s very rich and ‘romantic’ sounding. The bass is extremely well extended, reaching all the way into the sub bass (this is what I love about good planars) and it looks like there’s a bit of midrange elevation from the graph above, but I have to stress that the HEQ compensation sometimes causes this and it doesn’t exactly sound like a mid forward headphone. It stays quite flat up until the treble, where things get a bit more relaxed due to a cut around 5khz. I think one of these dips in the treble is the likely culprit for why the Ether 2 has that tonal richness, but that’s also not necessarily a bad thing - it just has this kind of relaxed quality that I’ve come to expect from Mrspeakers open-back headphones. I should mention that this is where the initial unit I tested had a dramatic cut that didn’t come back up appropriately at the 6.5khz region the way the replacement unit thankfully does. As a result, this new unit doesn’t have the muffled or veiled sound that I was worried about. It’s interesting to note that the elevation here does show up as a bit of a peak, but in my opinion that just adds a bit of much needed energy to the treble that keeps the Ether 2 engaging and enjoyable without any oversharpening or added emphasis that ruins so many headphones for the treble sensitive. There’s also no treble roll-off, as it has enough air and sparkle up top that’ll be appreciated by those of us who can still hear above 14khz.

FXT35685

In many ways this is exactly the kind of tuning that’s ideal for long listening sessions because at no point is it ever fatiguing, and I can say with complete confidence that the Ether 2 passes the sibilance test (or lack there of) with flying colors. With that said, I am still left feeling that while a more relaxed tuning rather than an oversharpened presentation is the lesser of two evils, it’s still not necessarily optimal. Those who prefer this kind of tuning should look at the Ether 2 specifically for its relaxed presentation, however I would personally like a bit more energy in the 5khz region. Treble is the most difficult part of the headphone to get right, and after listening to what HiFiMAN have done with the Sundara and Ananda and even the Focal Clear and Elegia, which are all less expensive headphones, I’m left wanting that same kind of careful tuning that doesn’t require the treble recession seen here. To put it another way, if the Ether 2 is like the Sennheiser HD650 with its more relaxed treble presentation, I still prefer the HD600 - bearing in mind that these are categorically different headphones that don’t share many other traits in common. It should also be mentioned that at the time of writing this, Mrspeakers have just released additional pads for the Ether 2 that do impact the treble quite a bit. I wasn’t able to evaluate those yet, however the fact that they are available in order to accommodate listeners who may not share the same tonality preferences as the product engineers should resonate strongly with enthusiasts. You don’t see this from most companies and this is a compelling reason to get into the more boutique brands like Mrspeakers.

Comparisons

Aeon Flow Open - The Ether 2 has better technical performance, a much bigger stage, a more linear response up until the treble, where it starts to share some of the same ‘romantic’ characteristics of the AFO. The Ether 2 is also lighter and more comfortable.

Focal Clear - These have similar detail capabilities, however the Ether 2 has a bigger soundstage. The Clear on the other hand has a brighter tonality in the treble, which is more to my preference but can cause a bit more fatigue as well. The Ether 2 is lighter and more comfortable than the Clear (amazingly).

HiFiMAN Sundara - I wanted to compare it with an Ananda but don’t have one handy at the moment. Interestingly, the Ether 2 is somehow smaller than both. The Sundara does treble more to my preference with a bit more energy throughout the upper frequencies, but at the same time never sounding sharp or sibilant. This is how I want my treble presentation to be, and both the Sundara and Ananda in my opinion underscore what’s possible with careful treble tuning. In every other category the Ether 2 wins - especially in the bass response.

ZMF Vérité - The Vérité is a bit more expensive and I had originally wanted to do a long format comparison between the two, but I don’t think it’s really all that fair. When strictly considering sound, the Vérité wins in just about every category with better detail retrieval, better dynamic slam, similar staging and imaging and in general a bit more presence in the treble. But it should also be noted that the Ether 2 is more comfortable (lighter), more linear through the bass and midrange up until around 5khz, has a less ‘colored’ tuning with default pads, even though it’s also more subdued in the treble. So I can see good reasons why someone would choose either.

Conclusion
This is very close to being my perfect headphone, and on paper it is. In practice, however, the ‘planar crinkle’ is unfortunately a major deal-breaker for me specifically. Prospective buyers shouldn’t be too concerned about this, since not only have most other listeners not had any trouble with the seal pressure consistency, the addition of alternative pads with wider ear cutouts should alleviate that issue. If you have a beard, large ears, or anything that might cause pressure inconsistency on the side of your head, consider emailing Mrspeakers to ask about the different pad options. Apart from that, this is the direction I’d like to see headphones going in. For the most part, the Ether 2 doesn’t outperform its competition, instead it does just about everything as well in a smaller, lighter, and much more comfortable package. While I might nitpick the treble recession, I definitely prefer these errors of omission to the alternative tendency to oversharpen and fake detail. In that respect the Ether 2 is a shining example of what high end headphones can be. We should pay attention to what this design prioritizes and my hope is that it causes everyone else to follow suit.

You can check out my video review here.

10 Likes

Great review as always and I especially enjoyed the very crisp photography. Superb.

3 Likes

@Resolve’s review can also be found on the main headphones.com site!

4 Likes

Last week I had a cable connector on my Ether 2 left ear cup come loose, as did the wire connecting the left side driver. Contacted Mr Speakers (now Dan Clark Audio) customer service and made arrangements to drop them off for repair. Last Friday I dropped in and Specialist Austin fixed them on the spot in about 10-15 minutes. Visited with Sue and Andy Regan for a bit and I left with a new Dan Clark Audio T-Shirt. Pretty incredible service…great headphones.

2 Likes

Ether 2 is in the house. :confused: (I’ll change my nick to “Hypocrite” after the jump) This would not be my type of headphone since I am far less a hobbyist and more “need them for my job dear, honest.” (Corp. television producer/director) Sennheiser 820s in the control room, or 800S if used in the edit suite, is what I SHOULD HAVE bought if I were to drop ~2k on cans for ‘the job.’ I found a very compelling deal for the E2 w/two cables and full warranty and I really don’t need another set of mastering cans.

Nothing much to say about quality so far since the E2s are going through run-in except they present an excellent stage and are very engaging. Best in the stable by a furlong. About clamping force, which was a concern for me before I ordered; I have a 7 5/8-inch head and these fit like an old saddle. Likely those complaining of a tight fit have a more rounded head shape.

These live on a Liquid Platinum (pack-in tubes) with a Bel Canto 2.7 DAC. However, I’m also checking them out through a Schiit Jotunheim with the Multibit board, and a CTH with a Modi Multibit. Of those three so far, the LP gives the most happy.

4 Likes

I have been thinking about purchasing this headphone. I found one exceptional review, but most are hard on these expensive headphones. Now having doubt about the ether 2’s I have been considering the ARYA from HIFIMAN.

I am looking for anyone who has feedback on what I’m looking at. I am welcome to other headphones that I should be looking at.

Thank you in advanced,
Tom

1 Like

I heard the Ether 2 at RMAF, so take this with a grain of salt. Show conditions being what they are and all. The E2 are light weight and comfortable. Dan does a good job in that department. Unfortunately, I thought the sound was rather droll and unexciting compared to the likes of the ZMF Verite - which I also heard for the first time at that show. Both were released at pretty much the same time. To put it bluntly, the Verite stole all the Ether’s fanfare at that show for me and the regulars I attended the show with. I later purchased the Verite, and Verite Closed after that.

I also noticed a trend with this headphone. Many of the people who posted glowing reviews sold them a few months later. :thinking:

I wonder why.

If you’re dead set on getting a planarmagnetic headphone in this price range, I would look at something else. Unfortunately, I’m not a planar fanboi, so i can’t really make any solid suggestions.

HFM is notorious for shoddy craftsmanship and support, not to mention ‘keeping-up-with-the-Jones’ style pricing.

Historically, Audeze has had such big product variations from one unit to another you might not get the sound others do with the same model headphone. They also make more silent revisions than you can shake a stick at.

Between DCA, HFM, and Audeze there isn’t much else in the planar world worth discussing either. Unfortunate, really.

And yes, full disclosure - I’m a ZMF fanatic.

4 Likes