New Here? This Is The Spot To Introduce Yourself

Hi

Thanks for welcome. Looking forward to becoming an active member of the community here

Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome! Years ago when I was in college, I’d considered a linguistics degree, but figured there were no good jobs short of a PhD. Theoretical semantics is fantastic - most people have no idea about its applications in computer science. There are corners of this system where discussion of your stereo system is also welcome. Looking forward to seeing you in the jazz discussions.

4 Likes

In my experience, your certainly right there are no good jobs without qualifications. Unfortunately I’m lacking in that department, one of life’s regrets for me not taking advantage of education.

I’m not really a jazz fan. But maybe I just haven’t listened to the right tracks yet. I’m more in to electronic music, some of which I would say may have a small element of jazz to it. But maybe I’m totally off the mark there

Laurent Garnier - the man with the red face
springs to mind

Is this forum more catered towards the traditional genres such as jazz. As most of my listening preferences and experiences for headphones will be coming from a more electronic dance prospective

Thanks for your time

1 Like

Regarding music, this forum is all over the place. We are, in one spot reading a book on the first 100 years of Jazz, so that discussion is very traditional. However we have lots of discussion of electronic, things somewhat like jazz, and thinks somewhat like nothing else. You won’t find anybody here overly critical of other people’s taste in music. If they were, we’d shoot them. There’s also an EDM section. Everybody here uses Trentemoller’s Chameleon as their test of sub-bass.

That’s a joke. Actually we’d make them listen to commercial country and western music of 1985. Or something like that.

2 Likes

LOL

Good to know :blush:

I’m loving that track by the way

1 Like

Linguistics is (especially today) so diverse and offers such a range of interdisciplinary applications that with some imagination, there are many promising career paths available. What constitutes a good job is, of course, highly subjective. I’ll let you know when I figure it out. :wink:

I’d love to hear more of your thoughts on this! I don’t yet know my way around here enough to be sure which subforum that conversation would be most at home in, though. :smirk:

And my cue to go find the jazz section is — checks watch — right there.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I’m still slowly dipping my toes into dance music. I started with ‘60s and ‘70s experimental moog and synth stuff in my early psychedelic music days, like e.g. White Noise’s An Electric Storm and Silver Apples (try to find a period-representative song creepier and more psyched out than their “You’re Not Fooling Me”), and then never moved too far past Brian Eno and his descendants.

(But the track “Love Without Sound” is equally, or even more, compelling.)

(Seriously, just try. It’s like an aural anxiety attack.)

Maybe a little. As cheesy as I know it sounds, I’ve always found myself much more drawn to a number of artists who have fallen under the grouping of “IDM” as opposed to “EDM”. Squarepusher, I’m in love with — my favorite drum-and-bass EP will always be Big Loada, freaking incredible. Though give it a listen and let me know if I even have the genre remotely pinned down? Breakbeat? What’s DNB? The hypergenrefication makes my head spin.

(You know when you find an album that out of nowhere apprehends you as so puzzlingly unique, so unlike anything you’d imagined music could be, that it changes your world for awhile? It’s been awhile since something did that for me like this did. Honorable mention to Medeski Martin & Wood’s Notes from the Underground as another fine example of such a work. Listen to their ‘arrangement’ of Caravan, @pennstac — go on, I dare you.)

(This is how I imagine myself floating, and then disassembling, into an unknown digital future. Couldn’t choose just one.)

I also love a lot of John Frusciante’s recent excursions into similar territory. But I am as much an unabashed Froosh-head as I am a Deadhead. :wink:

Lastly,

(I couldn’t just give this an honorable mention. The first MMW song I heard, driving backroads home and listening to 103.3 WPRB Princeton — I immediately drove directly to PRX and bought the CD. What a significant impact hearing this and finding this band had on my life. They’re probably still my favorite.)

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @czuba and @akootchook.

3 Likes

Welcome to all new members. Enjoy.

2 Likes

My thoughts would probably be rusty, and overlaid with rusty content IT ideas. Probably “The Off Topic” would be appropriate, but for this I might need to make a new topic, “The WAY Off Topic” Colorless green ideas sleep furiously, don’t they?

2 Likes

welcome-sunglasses-smiley-emoticon to this weeks newest members, Enjoy !

2 Likes

So they tell me, my good man! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi there

Just got round to checking these tracks out. Have to say I’m loving squarepusher I’ll definitely be checking out there releases.
The others haven’t hooked me in as much.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @mik, @wolfstar76 and @jomimon1118.

2 Likes

Thanks @prfallon69! Glad to be here.

4 Likes

Thanks! Took me long enough to join the forum haha.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Alexslooshywell and @zimbida.

3 Likes

Welcome to all this weeks new members.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Bongo and @Diudia_Moustache.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m new to the community but I really love how people help out!

This weekend I got my first “Head-Fi” headphones. Audeze LCD-2 fazored. Now I’m looking for An Amplifier. Running a topping E-30 DAC. (Not really fancy but I needed my money for the headphones and Amp)

6 Likes

Hi thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to hanging out here. My first headphones were Koss and now I’m enjoying Sennheiser, Focal and Master & Dynamic. I enjoy rock and jazz

6 Likes