New Here? This Is The Spot To Introduce Yourself

Thanks man,
Headphone enthusiast…trying and buying and selling to see what sounds good to my head holes.

5 Likes

Welcome. We are happy to have all who listen to sounds through their head holes, including nose and mouth listeners.

4 Likes

Hello and Welcome @CloudyDust.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @John_Newton.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @andyha1010 and @Snachmo .

2 Likes

welcome-sunglasses-smiley-emoticon to this weeks newest members, Enjoy !

1 Like

Hello and Welcome @WhaleShark and @Speedbump6.

2 Likes

Welcome to all this weeks new members.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @NordicDave, @hollandatc, @swafware, @Galaxy_Aust, @Wilkens and @Andy_Director.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m a YT channel subscriber from Europe. Always wanted to get into an audiophile community!

6 Likes

Welcome @Andy_Director. It’s always really good to have new people join. I am just someone who says hello. But there are some really great people here who will share their great knowledge with you. Enjoy the Forum.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @Dagery, @Woodstock, @A1_chris and @HFN_Lieven.

2 Likes

Hey, Headphoners! (Is that the appropriate demonym?)

My name’s Matthew, and I’m really excited to be here.

I’m a Ph.D student in linguistics at UCLA, working on fieldwork and within theoretical semantics, pragmatics and philosophy of language. I love all sorts of music, especially jazz, and enjoy playing acoustic guitar and (when I’m back home) double bass.

I’ve been a lurker on various audio forums over the past few years, including audiogon, polk forums, roon forums, and (though I haven’t logged in for well over a decade) audiokarma. I was also an old member of the WCD community. 8)

This isn’t a stereo community, and I haven’t fired up my system regularly for quite some time since I’ve been bouncing around internationally for my studies these past few years, so I won’t list that setup. For the past few years I’ve made due lugging my Mission Aero around.

As far as headphones go, I’ve found myself in various stages of almost taking the hifi plunge, but never really getting there. I look forward to remedying that here! For awhile I was dead set on finding a used set of sub-$1k Focal cans, but was gifted some AT ATH-Mx50’s and their subsequent Bluetooth cousins, and between those and the Aero have gotten by without re-entering the rabbit hole.

My intention is to jump back in with a Bluetooth setup, kneeling to the learned convenience of wireless life. I’m hoping to start by hitting the audio boards in search of set of IEMs like the Dunu SA6’s to pair with something like the Fiio UTWS5’s.

I’ve also toyed with the idea of jumping in for the Hifiman Ananda BT’s, after perusing some reviews and entertaining their flexibility for wired use, for example by adding a modest Schiit stack. I like that they have their own rather powerful DAC, and so use with hifi audio sources (e.g. on my iPhone) would be straightforward.

I found this forum from Andrew’s YouTube review of the Dunu MA6’s, and while I have so much to learn and experience, I’m really looking forward to learning from and alongside you all. (And if you know of someone selling something that might help me meet my first goal, don’t be shy to reach out!)

Cheers, and see you around the boards,
Matthew

11 Likes

Hi All

Hope your all keeping well. So I’ll tell you a little about my life

Been a music enthusiast since my early teens. I was that annoying kid who would have live tape recordings of there local night clubs and raves and would gather friends around whilst I rewinded the tape to particular mix or latest dance track. I’d pull at your arm to share my earbuds, there was even a point where I would take my portable stereo out with me when hanging with friends.

Naturally from there I became a keen clubber and a even keener dancer. If I couldn’t find friends to go clubbing I’d often go by myself. This lead to a slippery slope as i got involved in party drugs such as XTC. I had a close encounter with death after having a cocktail of drugs after that i’d decided to go clean. Perhaps it was more of a forced choice rather than a willing one. Non the less I done it and I had to change my social group. These days my social group is very small and I suffer from social anxiety and mild mental health problems.

As a bedroom DJ I’ve had thousands of vinyl in time. This progressed to the digital side of DJing and that also progressed to production. Now I have a studio with synths, drum machines and various software.

Free, easy, single and no kids. The closet thing I have to having someone special in my life is the crazy and super social “Pepsi” a former bar girl in Thailand. I’m normally in Thailand 6 weeks of the year doing all your typical touristy things but also hanging around the seedier side of Thailand. The best part about the bars are naturally the girls and also the surprisingly good sound systems in them. The laptop sits at the edge of the bar and you can play anything you like with no volume restrictions. I guess you could call this my drug in life that I get to indulge myself 6 weeks of the year

I really didn’t expect this to be as long as it’s become. Does anyone even read these things lol

In any event if you did manage to get to the end of this then thanks for your time

Looking forward to interacting with you all

5 Likes

Hi

Thanks for welcome. Looking forward to becoming an active member of the community here

Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome! Years ago when I was in college, I’d considered a linguistics degree, but figured there were no good jobs short of a PhD. Theoretical semantics is fantastic - most people have no idea about its applications in computer science. There are corners of this system where discussion of your stereo system is also welcome. Looking forward to seeing you in the jazz discussions.

4 Likes

In my experience, your certainly right there are no good jobs without qualifications. Unfortunately I’m lacking in that department, one of life’s regrets for me not taking advantage of education.

I’m not really a jazz fan. But maybe I just haven’t listened to the right tracks yet. I’m more in to electronic music, some of which I would say may have a small element of jazz to it. But maybe I’m totally off the mark there

Laurent Garnier - the man with the red face
springs to mind

Is this forum more catered towards the traditional genres such as jazz. As most of my listening preferences and experiences for headphones will be coming from a more electronic dance prospective

Thanks for your time

1 Like

Regarding music, this forum is all over the place. We are, in one spot reading a book on the first 100 years of Jazz, so that discussion is very traditional. However we have lots of discussion of electronic, things somewhat like jazz, and thinks somewhat like nothing else. You won’t find anybody here overly critical of other people’s taste in music. If they were, we’d shoot them. There’s also an EDM section. Everybody here uses Trentemoller’s Chameleon as their test of sub-bass.

That’s a joke. Actually we’d make them listen to commercial country and western music of 1985. Or something like that.

2 Likes

LOL

Good to know :blush:

I’m loving that track by the way

1 Like

Linguistics is (especially today) so diverse and offers such a range of interdisciplinary applications that with some imagination, there are many promising career paths available. What constitutes a good job is, of course, highly subjective. I’ll let you know when I figure it out. :wink:

I’d love to hear more of your thoughts on this! I don’t yet know my way around here enough to be sure which subforum that conversation would be most at home in, though. :smirk:

And my cue to go find the jazz section is — checks watch — right there.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I’m still slowly dipping my toes into dance music. I started with ‘60s and ‘70s experimental moog and synth stuff in my early psychedelic music days, like e.g. White Noise’s An Electric Storm and Silver Apples (try to find a period-representative song creepier and more psyched out than their “You’re Not Fooling Me”), and then never moved too far past Brian Eno and his descendants.

(But the track “Love Without Sound” is equally, or even more, compelling.)

(Seriously, just try. It’s like an aural anxiety attack.)

Maybe a little. As cheesy as I know it sounds, I’ve always found myself much more drawn to a number of artists who have fallen under the grouping of “IDM” as opposed to “EDM”. Squarepusher, I’m in love with — my favorite drum-and-bass EP will always be Big Loada, freaking incredible. Though give it a listen and let me know if I even have the genre remotely pinned down? Breakbeat? What’s DNB? The hypergenrefication makes my head spin.

(You know when you find an album that out of nowhere apprehends you as so puzzlingly unique, so unlike anything you’d imagined music could be, that it changes your world for awhile? It’s been awhile since something did that for me like this did. Honorable mention to Medeski Martin & Wood’s Notes from the Underground as another fine example of such a work. Listen to their ‘arrangement’ of Caravan, @pennstac — go on, I dare you.)

(This is how I imagine myself floating, and then disassembling, into an unknown digital future. Couldn’t choose just one.)

I also love a lot of John Frusciante’s recent excursions into similar territory. But I am as much an unabashed Froosh-head as I am a Deadhead. :wink:

Lastly,

(I couldn’t just give this an honorable mention. The first MMW song I heard, driving backroads home and listening to 103.3 WPRB Princeton — I immediately drove directly to PRX and bought the CD. What a significant impact hearing this and finding this band had on my life. They’re probably still my favorite.)

4 Likes