“Now Playing”

1 Like

Barry Lyndon by Stanley Kubrick

@pennstac, here’s another great period piece. The way they shot so many scenes by candlelight is magical. Kubrick really was a genius.

2 Likes

I saw that in the theater when it first came out. Gorgeous, but I recall it being pretty long. Yes, just followed the link, had a runtime of 203 minutes, and I remember that they said something like 20-30 minutes was cut out because they thought it was too long to be commercially successful.

1 Like

Many of his films are “long”, but overall I think they are meant for an attention span that most lack nowadays. For those patient souls that can grant their undivided attention for two plus hour are rewarded with great depth, and insight.

He was an infamously meticulous control freak. Most everything in every shot was placed with purpose. Very interesting person.

2 Likes

4 Likes

See if it gets a physical reaction out of you.

2 Likes

https://open.qobuz.com/track/87632245

2 Likes

Have you seen Tarkovsky’s Solaris?

2 Likes

Man, shamefully I haven’t.

I almost bought the criterion version a few years back when I was heavy into collecting blu-rays.

I need to watch it. Maybe I’ll check it out on a streaming service.

1 Like

1 Like

I never actually made it through all of Barry Lyndon. Need to watch that again someday.

1 Like

It’s definitely a slower pace, but it’s good.

Eyes Wide Shut was underrated, imo. The use of colors/lighting is fantastic.

Agreed, but I remember that one piano note in EWS played over and over and over and over and over.

At one time I tried to watch every Kubrick and Hitchcock film - but just too many!

1 Like

Part of Kubrick’s genius was his ability to manipulate the viewer, and not just illicit an emotional response.

His version of The Shining is the version people remember, not King’s. :smirk:

3 Likes

Listening to The Grateful Dead with my daughter and watching the concert of the boys from 1980…

4 Likes

3 Likes

I don’t know if you have caught this show on Netflix, S4 just dropped a few days ago and it’s a banger of a show! it even has Spanish audio :wink:

3 Likes

New music by GoGo Penguin, one of my fav modern jazz/classical bands out of the UK

Here is the LINK

The link will take you to the various streaming sites and applications to check out their new singles.

1 Like

Been on a major Thievery Corporation kick this week … currently kicked back in the chair, Ananda’s on my head, killer custom cables from @ProfFalkin connected to my ifi Idsd Micro Black Label, IPAd on my lap
and dope visualizer on the tv… time to unwind.

PS Purple Background for @TylersEclectic

Keeping it movin down the Thievery Corporation Train :tram:

http://open.qobuz.com/album/0795103017726

Check out “Culture Of Fear” by Thievery Corporation on Amazon Music. https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0053O2FUQ?ref=dm_sh_LmhIlOjpn4doMhEqnatpeZNz8

Qobuz–>iFi IDSD Micro Black Label: XBASS on 3D on–>Custom Cables from the Professor—>Hifiman Ananda

5 Likes

Tidal/iPad Pro/DFC/Focal Clear
(Great idea listing the audio chain, @MRHifiReviews!)

6 Likes