“Now Playing”

Wow…TSO !! That’s one that hasn’t come across my radar in a long, long time. Got me digging into my library for things I haven’t visited in a long time.

2 Likes

Actually, Ayreon have a few releases since I last listened to them. A couple prog-rock operas. Just starting this one.

After that…

4 Likes

If I wanted to try Ayreon, which album should I try first?

I’m a huge fan of Savatage’s Hall of the Mountain King, before they went down the path of rock operas and TSO Christmas songs (although I like that one TSO Christmas song that everyone plays, even my son’s middle school orchestra). Given that TSO sparked your excitement, will my love for early Savatage mean I’ll like Ayreon?

4 Likes

Early Savatage is so good. :100:

4 Likes

As to what album to try first I don’t really know. That “Transitus” is good …I haven’t listened to all of it yet but it’s well recorded and interesting. The last album I had from them was 01001101 from 2008. Even then I took my prog in small doses…lol. Only certain songs I liked. Mainly songs with good melodic hooks a’la Iron Maiden “dance of the dead” etc. But now with headphones I’m listening to a wider variety of music. Well, that and I’m old so I guess I’m mellowing enough to listen to more than Black, Thrash and Death :laughing: (Actually my tastes are fairly eclectic but definitely more so now) The old Savatage is great but not really akin to Ayreon. Not sure what’s really like Ayreon…Symphony X maybe. Old Savatage …man that might lead me down a whole other rabbit hole of Grim Reaper, Overkill and MetalChurch albums :joy:. One of my favorite albums of all time…

4 Likes

Love, love, love this album. Never gets old.

11 Likes

5 Likes

Awesome! 20 characters

“Time takes a cigarette and sticks it in your mouth.”

Lyrics for the ages. Back when it came out there were a few near rock and roll suicides in my peer group.

3 Likes

GoGo Penguin - F Maj Pixie (Squarepusher Remix)

https://open.qobuz.com/track/116903640

I’ve already pre-ordered the 12". :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Slackjaw is a blues/rock band from New Jersey. Founded by John Thompson and Randy Marinelli, they have created a band with a style all their own.
Found on Qobuz
13913_10153205652996798_8932374983139470132_n

1 Like

:drum: :+1:

2 Likes

New drop from Deadmau5 - sounds great with cans!

3 Likes

@bobmysterious - love that album too, one of my all-time favorites, both for the music and for the sound quality. Really well-recorded, my time with the Utopias showed just how much is in there to be pulled out.

1 Like

I switched from Amazon to Tidal, so while transferring over our 8 year old daughters playlists for her, I’ve run across some artists I want to give a listen to.

My buddy mentioned he had just listened to this, I hadn’t heard it in years. Oh my, is Toccata incredible with the VCs

5 Likes

It’s one of my standard test albums as well. There’s just so much to be had with an album of that caliber.

1 Like

Ok when you said blues/rock my mind went to Gary Clark Jr…
This is NOT like that. I am enjoying however!

1 Like

Just listened to the whole album. It’s probably been 20 years since I last did that, and with headphones you’re right - really a great experience. The rapid panning at the end of the final track is a mind-bender! :woozy_face:

1 Like

4 Likes