Off Topic: Qualified Eligible — You must be 59½ to post here or you will be subject to a 10% penalty

If things have not changed, i believe kdka is the only tv/radio station east of the Mississippi whose call letters start with a k.

1 Like

KYW Philadelphia 1030

Things have changed, or I was misled 50 years ago when i lived in Pittsburgh. :blush:

KYW was one of the original 50,000 watt clear channel stations, just like KDKA. 50 years ago in Pittsburgh you listened to John Cigna and know about Farkleberries. Also to put car in neutral going downhill in snowy conditions.

We had an pretty awesome radio station in Jacksonville. WAPE-FM 95.1, ’ The Big Ape" . Started of an AM station, then went to FM. 50,000 watts It carried with it the Top-40 sounds of the baby-boom generation: The Beatles and the Supremes, the Beach Boys and Four Tops, Paul Revere and the Rolling Stone. Local bands could bring by their records, and some got their first airplay on WAPE, including Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Classics IV and the Second Coming, an early version of the Allman Brothers. The station also brought big bands to town, none bigger than the Beatles at the Gator Bowl in 1964. Sadly down the road the station changed totally, to Country and Christian. But the days of the Grease Man and Dempsey ( the shock jocks) were the best.

1 Like

Have you been pursued by too many thought leaders recently?

LinkedIn - OMG. What a trash heap it’s become. If you’re a professional, you almost need to have some kind of presence there, but you become the target of everybody that uses the pandemic to excuse not doing proper advertising or outreach.

I’m plagued by people claiming to be “thought leaders” “life coaches” “business coaches” “transformational change agents” and that’s on top of those that just want to sell me business leads.

I’m not a thought leader. I’m a thought follower. And I prefer to follow the thoughts of those long dead who have proven good ideas that bear a century or more of proof. That was they can’t bug me with pesky new ideas.

Do these young folks really believe their own bullshit?
Just askin’ my fellow life-experienced friends.

2 Likes

I’m happy not being a professional :wink:

(Sorry that I broke the thread rules but this week is making me feel like I’m in my 69’s)

Hello, only 57 over here, but I’ve been getting AARP offers for over a decade and recently I’ve been thinking, “Hey, that free tote bag looks pretty sweet!”. Does that get me into the club? :wink:

2 Likes

Today, 10/26/2022, is my 64th birthday. Just a bit over a year & 1/2 and I “can” retire. I’ve been on Linkedin for nearly a decade, it’s always been a bit of disappointment. Social Media is not my idea of fun, more a modern torture device.

Mark Gosdin

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @mgosdin !!!

3 Likes

Happy Birthday Mark!! :birthday:

2 Likes

King Biscuit Flower Hour. Seldom missed a broadcast on Sunday evenings during the '70’s.

It’s funny. Other than weather radio, I don’t think I’ve listened to commercial radio since the mid 80’s. Don’t ask how many mix cassettes and CD’s I have. Thank goodness for today’s solid state storage.

2 Likes

At one time it used to be decent, but now its filled with fakes and weeding through the good still gets you a lot of bad.

2 Likes

Talk to a few of them … you’ll soon find out they really do* …

I don’t know if they were abused as children (many of them still act like children), are the product of a failing educational system, or if they’re just so self-absorbed that they’ve inhaled one-too-many of their own farts …

“Life-coaches” that haven’t been breathing long enough to know what “life” means, let alone accumulate enough experience in it to be coaching anyone over 5 years old, are the most nauseating little squits.

Only slightly less amusing** are the 30-40(ish) “life-coaches” that have achieved nothing beyond fucking up their own lives to the point that their only real value is to serve as a warning to others.

“Thought leaders” … with no outward evidence of any meaningful electrical activity between their ears. My leading thought, with these types, is usually “what a wanker”.

They can be fun to engage (AKA “taunt” or “bait”), for a few minutes or so, on particularly wine-soaked nights. Because, let’s face it, spending time on LinkedIn is, at this point, almost always the product of some over-indulgence in one or more alcoholic libations.

That usually culminates with hitting the “My Network” link, staring blankly at the screen for a moment or two, and then exclaiming “And who the fuck are these guys?”

You shouldn’t ask***, as I have lots of LinkedIn stories … especially since retiring.

*The ones that don’t, seem to be operating under the belief that the rest of us are so old and/or stupid that we can’t see right through their nonsensical twatwaffle.
**Perhaps a strange, new, meaning for the word, of which you were previously unaware.
***As I’ll probably tell …

4 Likes

As a member of the “young folk” who nearly fell into the Ln trap [for context, I’m 26, I apologize to this thread in advance), I wasted so much time on that platform. It built my imposter syndrome and I’m so glad that my first full-time ish role in this industry saved me from it.

I am really grateful for the 2-3 solid friends I have from the platform that I have now but aside from that it was a massive waste of time I did not wish I stressed so much over during COVID.

Stop trying to be politically correct @Torq and tell us what you really think!

:smile:

4 Likes

I can do “politically correct” … sometimes even with a straight face.

:wink:

My issues are with the comical-pretenders … i.e., 20 year-old self-proclaimed “life coaches” … not with 20 year-old’s in general. In the group of “all around 20” somethings I’ve been mentoring (between bouts of intense relaxation and doing very little slowly) most were either pretty well adjusted from the outset, or didn’t take much to acclimate to reality (a couple failed on that entirely … but you’d get that in any group).

But … if you’re asking me for money for something, advice or coaching in particular, you best be demonstrably and unambiguously better at it than I am … no matter how old you or experienced you are.

6 Likes

I can barely use the term “life coach” and keep a straight face.

4 Likes

It’s the “transformational change agent” that gets me also. If they’re transformational, why are they pupating on LinkedIn?

3 Likes

A 20 year old has no freaking clue about life. MY opinion of course. Life coaches love to give advice but have no idea how to make a living”

3 Likes