Off-Topic: Whiskey Rec's?

Although there are some OK Official Bottlings, like Highland Park 18 or Bunnahabhain 18, even Aberlour A’bunadh, the real treasure and better value for money is from the Independent Botters. Adelphi, Scotch Malt Whisky Society, Cadenhead, Gordon & Macphail, Wemyss, Signatory Vintage…
Within that there is a Goldilocks Zone. If its below ~$100usd it is statistically less likely to be great. If its over ~$150usd it’s also statistically tailing off, you are now paying for exclusivity not necessarily quality.
I avoid finishing, no surer sign the first cask failed.
I avoid big sherry, big peat, overwhelming wood influence. A 14yo+ refill cask will show distillery character with amazing complexity. Explore and learn your preferred distilleries.
A recent example I’ve been loving is a Signatory Vintage Glenlossie 2006 14yo

20 million single casks are maturing in Scotland. Your journey will never end.

3 Likes

The problem is that not many of the independent bottlers are available here in the states, or in some specific states like Pennsylvania where I live. I have tried a few of those, however. For me, the problem there is not peat, but repeat. As in I can’t. If I find it once, that’s it, and I won’t find the same thing twice.

I do like all three of what you term the OK Official Bottlings, and my taste does tend away from the overwhelming anything as does yours. I know that Bruichladdich essentially failed financially, and the new owners have been making some rather interesting bottlings that I’ve enjoyed - even if they are not the original company. These do tend to become available near me.

While not an expert, I am experienced. I worked for 10 years in a small global publishing services company, where management were scotchaholics and one of our salespeople was a Macleod straight from the Hebrides who lived in Edinburgh, but was frequently visiting us in the States. He too pointed out the many casks maturing and said that if it were not so, you’d eventually say “Well that’s whisky done, now I need to find the definitive root beer.”

2 Likes

Another vote for Tully’s as a daily driver, Red Breast for more special times.

2 Likes

Smooth, sweet, and smokey in that order!

Helpful links and advice! I’ve steered clear of JB and JD since college so I like to think, while my brow isn’t that high, it’s still lifted! Lol…the tree puts it together because I know Trace owns many boutiquey/crafty/original looking whiskey brands that would otherwise be independent and I think they’re trying to make a whiskey monopoly, who knows. Buffalo Trace is my original pick that got me into brown, neat liquors and it’s been nice walking into bars with some knowledge versus “can I see a drink menu” which basically gets you kicked out at certain divey midwest spots haha. This thread has certainly been educational and tripled the size of my list now!

Too many good Scotch and Japanese brands to try here. I’m based in Denver and know a few local stores that carry rare-er brands so nothing I’ve seen here looks hard to find.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that they used a “growing tree” metaphor for the visualization, as that suggests older is better. In my experience older hard liquor often means similar – aged rum, tequila, brandy, and bourbon lose some uniqueness and converge on the Scotch profile. Non-Scotches are often aged in much warmer areas than Scotland, so they have different timing needs.

FWIW, I’ve been on the Maker’s Mark, Four Roses, and Wild Turkey tours.

• Best facilities, best product education, and best alcoholic chocolates: Maker’s Mark

• Best place to stick your finger into a sour mash vat and taste it as it bubbles: Four Roses. You get to keep the tasting glasses too.

• Best place to accidentally get drunk from the generous variety of unmetered samples and have to take a time out before driving: Wild Turkey

I’d love to know Kentucky’s law enforcement criteria for stopping intoxicated tourists. It cannot be too strict.

1 Like

Sounds about right to me! Haha my face was numb walking out of a ~5 round tasting at Woodinville in Washington. Their Bourbon was smooth and sweet but their red-label Rye shocked me because of how much the smooth honey flavor made it an easy sip. I know Rye is a broad whiskey classification, but that was the least harsh rye I’d had 10/10 would rec.
Their Moscatel and Sherry barrel batches weren’t my favorite, but to each their own re: wine barrel finished whiskeys.
I tried a recent beer that was soaked in Four Roses barrels. A smooth and yummy winter brew, very new: Oakspire | New Belgium Brewing

1 Like

All these recommendations here would make me a very poor and drunk man.

3 Likes

Was this at Woodinville Whiskey Company? I’ve been to The Hollywood Tavern, but never had a tasting at the distillery proper.

Regards,
Victor

1 Like

Correct! Down the street from Columbia Valley and Chateau St. Michelle wineries. It’s the last on the long row of vineyards and tasting houses. Quite the area for alcohol tasting if you’re in the area and want multiple stops within walking distance!

1 Like

Not sure if anyone caught the Edradour reference a ways back under the cover of a headphone stand post, but it’s epic…

1 Like

Nice! I should probably see if they have any bottled-in-bond bottles left.

Regards,
Vic

edit

I went to McMenamin’s in Bothell a couple of Fridays ago to watch the UW vs Oregon State game. It was a pretty good experience, but next time, I’m going to sit outside in the Tavern on The Square near a fire pit as opposed to in The Woodshop - too loud and too many children.

1 Like

The two essentials on display right there. Sometimes life really is that simple! Haha

Had a bit of fun this Thanksgiving with a friend’s gifted bottles of Old Forester- Single Barrel, Barrel proof (~66%) and a very smooth and impressive unpeated Bruichladdich Islay Barley. I personally haven’t dug the Old Forester samples I’ve had but the Scotch blew me away. Love a good smooth sipper, but never thought it’d be scotch. Hope y’all enjoyed some good whisk(e)ys this holiday season!

3 Likes

I bought a bottle of Woodinville’s Straight Bourbon Whiskey - Port Finished this past Friday. It’s been quite good neat at room temperature. I plan on trying it out in a cocktail later this week, though I feel it’s probably best neat or on the rocks.

3 Likes

Nice! That’s a good one. They had a few other wine finished versions worth a trip out if you’re in the area to do a tasting. Sherry and Muscatel I think.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. I’m in the area and may head over there after the place dries out for a tasting. The Hollywood Tavern used to do tastings before the pandemic, but when I went there a few months back, they told me they stopped and I’d have to go to the distillery.

1 Like

Gonna be hitting up a few places this weekend to drink with @CarterK_iFi and I am sure I’ll be able to share some pics of our escapades!

2 Likes

If i was still in Denver, I would invite myself along!

You’d be totally welcome!